Any keyboard shredders in NE Florida here?

• Members

Hey man, I sometimes hang out at the Amps forum and I've seen one of your demos, you totally rock! It sounded quite a bit like a band I used to sing for called Cauldron Born. The guy who used to be the drummer in that band lives in Tampa now, and I've lived in Tampa for a few years as well.

Good luck with the keyboard player search! Most American prog metal and shred metal acts end up hiring people from Europe who come over and record and then meet them up when it's time to play live. Like Kamelot, who are from Tampa - their singer and their keyboard player live in Europe and they're quite successful in that genre. To find someone like Doug Pinella or Vitalij Kuprij is hard enough - to find them in your hometown is nearly impossible... I honestly wish you good luck though! I loved your musical style.

• Members

Hey man, I sometimes hang out at the Amps forum and I've seen one of your demos, you totally rock! It sounded quite a bit like a band I used to sing for called Cauldron Born. The guy who used to be the drummer in that band lives in Tampa now, and I've lived in Tampa for a few years as well.

Good luck with the keyboard player search! Most American prog metal and shred metal acts end up hiring people from Europe who come over and record and then meet them up when it's time to play live. Like Kamelot, who are from Tampa - their singer and their keyboard player live in Europe and they're quite successful in that genre. To find someone like Doug Pinella or Vitalij Kuprij is hard enough - to find them in your hometown is nearly impossible... I honestly wish you good luck though! I loved your musical style.

Awesome! I'm glad you dig it man. I haven't heard your old band but most people say it sounds very Bodom/finnish which is cool by me haha. :lol:

I knew Kamelot were from Tampa but didn't know they had to go to Europe to find their singer. I believe on there last album they used Jans Johannason (one of my favs along with Janne from CoB of course)

I'm actually working with a guy from Finland (a keyboardist) but he's just helping me not sound like a general MIDI, and his band is on tour.

Well thanks man, I know I'm going to need luck to find someone capable of playing at the standards I need them at. :lol:

• Members

Awesome! I'm glad you dig it man. I haven't heard your old band but most people say it sounds very Bodom/finnish which is cool by me haha.
:lol:

It was like Mercyful Fate meets Yngwie meets Death... I'm a Christian now and that band was satanic, so I usually don't talk about it much... but your music sounded a LOT like some stuff we did.

I knew Kamelot were from Tampa but didn't know they had to go to Europe to find their singer. I believe on there last album they used Jans Johannason (one of my favs along with Janne from CoB of course)

Jens played a couple leads for them but he was never in the band. Their current keyboard player is from Germany and has been a member since 2005.

Having musicians from Europe was never a problem with them... when I lived in Florida I used to hang out with Thom Youngblood after answering an ad he put in Jam, and I was working with him on a couple of new songs (writing melodies and lyrics and recording vocals) but I was just a guy trying out. Then Khan (Thom's favorite singer) became available due to Conception splitting, and that was it for me...

I'm actually working with a guy from Finland (a keyboardist) but he's just helping me not sound like a general MIDI, and his band is on tour.

You're probably better off than working with someone who doesn't have the ability of the experience... You might talk him into helping with recording, and for touring, once you have a label, all things are possible... you'd be surprised at the number of famous musicians that as twiddling their thumbs waiting for someone with a paycheck... Jens Johansson's amount of posts in the Stratovarius forums is clearly a proof of that :lol:

Well thanks man, I know I'm going to need luck to find someone capable of playing at the standards I need them at.

Music stores are probably still the best place to look. Oh, and does Florida still have the Jam mag? That little mag rocked :thu:

• Members

It was like Mercyful Fate meets Yngwie meets Death... I'm a Christian now and that band was satanic, so I usually don't talk about it much... but your music sounded a LOT like some stuff we did.

dude! MF + Y + D sounds like a great combo to me.

and good luck to the OP :wave:

• Members

Only thing he can do is play fast. Anyone can do fast scales and weirdo-shred lead solos. If it comes to playing something more relaxed he's nothing. It's not all about playing fast.

you mean the only thing you've heard him do is play fast?

i agree it's not all about playing fast. it is cool though.

this thread kind of approaches that topic:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2273788

• Members

you mean the only thing you've heard him do is play fast?

i agree it's not all about playing fast. it is cool though.

this thread kind of approaches that topic:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2273788

I've seen him play backwards too :cop:

I'm not against playing fast, I do it myself.. (if you haven't heard, check http://www.box.net/shared/qdh11yek1y). But only playing fast is just too much.

I just don't like the dude, I can't see anything impressive about what he does..

• Members

MF + YM + D sounds wicked dude! I bet you could of still took the sound and gone with it.

Jens played a couple leads for them but he was never in the band. Their current keyboard player is from Germany and has been a member since 2005.

Having musicians from Europe was never a problem with them... when I lived in Florida I used to hang out with Thom Youngblood after answering an ad he put in Jam, and I was working with him on a couple of new songs (writing melodies and lyrics and recording vocals) but I was just a guy trying out. Then Khan (Thom's favorite singer) became available due to Conception splitting, and that was it for me...

You've actually written songs with Youngblood? Come write songs with me then hahaha. I'd love to have a real singer. :lol:

You're probably better off than working with someone who doesn't have the ability of the experience... You might talk him into helping with recording, and for touring, once you have a label, all things are possible... you'd be surprised at the number of famous musicians that as twiddling their thumbs waiting for someone with a paycheck... Jens Johansson's amount of posts in the Stratovarius forums is clearly a proof of that

He's just a temp thing really, nothing serious. I really hope to find someone before we start playing out alot, there's ALOT of keys in my songs and I hate watching bands who have their keys on a backing track. It's really lame, so I don't want to be one of those bands.

Music stores are probably still the best place to look. Oh, and does Florida still have the Jam mag? That little mag rocked
:thu:

Jam Mag? I haven't heard of it.

I'll probably be going around to the music stores/lessons since they have bulletin boards, start getting serious about finding a keyboardist.

• Members

MF + YM + D sounds wicked dude! I bet you could of still took the sound and gone with it.

Well I did continue with some other bands but never seemed to quite get the right team together. Right now I'm just working on my own...

The drummer of Cauldron Born, Bill, put together a Myspace page with some songs throughout the band's career... the only thing I got recorded was a demo that turned into a CD later... I'm the singer in the song "Calling from the Crystal Tower". http://www.myspace.com/bornofthecauldron

After that I did this but we kept constantly changing members as well... I sang, played bass and most guitars in those recording.

Keep in mind these are self-produced 90s demos... they don't sound that great.

You've actually written songs with Youngblood? Come write songs with me then hahaha. I'd love to have a
real
singer.

Well, it was more like this: he made a tape with a song he was working on for Siege Perilous, so I could write lyrics and melodies and give the tape back to him. So we didn't really write together, it was more of a try-out process but it was based on their material because he liked my work that I had shown him.

Do you have finished songs at this point?

I'll probably be going around to the music stores/lessons since they have bulletin boards, start getting serious about finding a keyboardist.

Jam mag is probably long gone...

Stores is good... Theocracy is a good local band with two released CDs and I saw an ad from them looking for a new bass player at Guitar Center...

Good luck man! :thu:

He's just a temp thing really, nothing serious. I really hope to find someone before we start playing out alot, there's ALOT of keys in my songs and I hate watching bands who have their keys on a backing track. It's really lame, so I don't want to be one of those bands.

Oh yeah, absolutely... I wouldn't want to do that either...

Jam Mag? I haven't heard of it.

Archived