Amp with Peavey XXX (heavey) Rhythm and good lead tone(not buzzy)!

Damokles

• Members

Hi everyone

Now that i have a fairly good guitar for the first time since i started playing( an Ibanez prestige 2550) i feel like getting another Amp to reach the tone i want. I'm currently playing a hughes&Kettner tube 100 thorugh a marshall 1936 Cab and use a Hugeh&Kettner Warp factor for distortion.

While the Cleans of that amp are top notch i don't like my distorted tone. At first it doesn't Sound big enough when i crank up. The Rhythm gets too trebly and doesn't have anough focus and Punch o doo heavey Palm muted riffs (that's what i want). I tried eq ing and everything but besides changing the amount of how the amp pierces my ear it doesn't change anything.

A rhythm tone i'd like would be the one of a XXX / 5150 / Dual Recto .

Now for my leads: totally horrible, thin buzzy soudn no sweetness nothing. horrible i think it's just the nature of the Amp. I love to play lead and do it wherever i can without driving my bandmates crazy ;)

So i need a nice lead tone that oozes with saturdation and sustain without sounding buzzy fuzzy.

I've been playing for 4 years, my current Amp is my second amp in general and my first tube amp so i have no clue whether it makes sense to change cabinets, buy a new amp or switch pedals.

I guess a 4x12" Cab would help me to soudn bigger because i allready played through one and it kicked ass but it didn't help me qith my other problems.

So please recomment me a nice amp or pedal while keeping in mind that my budget is somewhere around 1000$ so a XXX would be possible, a recto way out of reach.

thank you and good night!

Damokles

• Members

sounds like the peavey jsx would be right up your alley, it's heavily based on the XXX, but it has an even better clean channel, and it doesn't have the fizziness of the XXX series

also, that marshall 2x12 isn't helping you as far as sounding 'bigger' either, not because it's a 2x12 but because it's not a very well designed cab IMO (the 1936 are some of more tinny 2x12's i've played, especially in their price range) a new cab wouldn't definitely help as well...lots of options there, avatar makes some really great cabs that are priced about as good as a cab can be

edit: places like musicians friend etc. have the jsx listed @1199, but there are ways to haggle them down to about a grand

• Members

Originally posted by cobrahead1030

edit: places like musicians friend etc. have the jsx listed @1199, but there are ways to haggle them down to about a grand

'Fess up and tell how!

FWIW, I'd go with the XXX because it does what you're asking.

Derek

• Members

Either the XXX or JSX are awesome but the XXX needs some tube swapping to get where you want and the JSX sounds great stock. I think if I didn't already own the XXX I would go with the JSX because it already has the noise gate built in and you have more control over the sound. I don't like the big J on the face plate but I didn't like mudflap chicks either and that's easily fixable.

• Members

Originally posted by Sordid1

Either the XXX or JSX are awesome but the XXX needs some tube swapping to get where you want and the JSX sounds great stock. I think if I didn't already own the XXX I would go with the JSX because it already has the noise gate built in and you have more control over the sound. I don't like the big J on the face plate but I didn't like mudflap chicks either and that's easily fixable.

you can take the J off.. it was designed so it just looks like a normal head with those metal bits off. I think it said on one of the interviews somewhere..

• Members

Originally posted by georges

you can take the J off.. it was designed so it just looks like a normal head with those metal bits off. I think it said on one of the interviews somewhere..

I have seen that before but then it looks boring. I think my next amp will be something completely different.

• Members

Originally posted by georges

It's an S and even if you remove the chrome panel the wood behind it still has the S cut out of it. You could remove the chrome S and mount some other type panel on there.

Jerry

• Members

Originally posted by JerryP

It's an S and even if you remove the chrome panel the wood behind it still has the S cut out of it. You could remove the chrome S and mount some other type panel on there.

Jerry

Weird Jerry, There was someone on here that removed the S and I thought there was just that mesh stuff behind it. Maybe they modified it or something.

• Members

Originally posted by Viesczy

'Fess up and tell how!

FWIW, I'd go with the XXX because it does what you're asking.

Derek

there's an e bay seller that has them for $950 shipped new, if you go to the jsx page on music123.com they've got that "seen it for less? we'll beat it!" link at the bottom...send them the link to the e-bay auction

being that it's an auction they won't beat the price, but since it's still a new one in the auction, they'll come close to it! they offered me one for $1,000 shipped

Archived