MINIAK - new synth from Akai/Alesis

mildbill

• Members

The lack of aftertouch still bothers me. A small synth like the MINIAK, intended for integration in a live rig, would benefit from a modulation source that would allow the player to play the synth AND another keyboard at the same time.

I really don't understand why no more synth manufacturers think of this.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

I expect it's because these products are aimed at people who don't know much about keyboards or synths.

correction. that's broke ass people who don't know much about keyboards or synths.

so are we back at square 1 concerning the miniak vs micron?

• Members

How is that inaccurate? Maybe there's a miscommunication here. I'm discussing the basic "sound" of the synth. Not all the nuances in programming differences. If they're using the same coding/algos/math/whatever for the MPC's Osc, Amp and Filter it will still sound like a Fusion. Arguing about the Fusion's better mod matrix is irrelevant when the basic building blocks are the same. For example, Arturia's Analog Factory has simplified signal flow and isn't as flexible as their separate products, but it still sounds like Arturia stuff because it's really running the same coding that's in their other products. That's what I mean by "the same synth engine in the Fusion".

So being able to route a synth in a semi modular fashion as opposed to a fixed signal path doesn't yield even remotely different sonic results then?

I have heard the MPC5000's synth engine and it does not sound identical to the Fusions - the effects bussing in the MPC is quite different for starters.

But lets just agree to disagree mmmmmkay ;).

• Members

Apologies for the bold type boys - me eyes.

Engines (guts) aside, what's the better (professional) presntation of the Miniak (say vs the R3) - for example, keyboard feel, knob placement, quality of parts, durability?[ Perhaps in looking at the;ackage (external) we can soeculate about what was intended with the engine (internal)

./B]

Archived