integrated quads

naskonja

• Members

ok ive talked to a couple amp techs and a couple people on here and im getting 2 completely different storys, literaly 50/50

some say the KT88/6L6GC setup wont harm the 5150 at all and others say STAY AWAY PERIOD! anyone have opinions? im picking up my 5150 today and i still havent decided on the KT88 integrated quads or the other 5150 with just 6L6GC's

• Members

no matter how many people you ask you are going to get 5050 on that subject. My thing is that even though you might be able to get away with it for a long time I don't personally like to take risk with my gear I rely on for shows. Besides, the 5150's sound awesome stock so I don't see the need really but that's just me.

• Members

agreed... i need it for shows and reliability is key... i kinda already knew the answer to this but im going to probably retube the head im getting and for some reason that integrated quad setup is really tempting me... but i wouldnt want to risk it i guess..

• Members

Originally posted by naskonja

agreed... i need it for shows and reliability is key... i kinda already knew the answer to this but im going to probably retube the head im getting and for some reason that integrated quad setup is really tempting me... but i wouldnt want to risk it i guess..

My ex-second guitarist in my last band just retubed his 5150II with a set of JJ's and it sounds awesome compared to stock. For whatever reason Peavey amps really agree with the JJ tubes.

• Members

naskonja,

I am sincerely interested in knowing what became of that deal where somebody accused you of selling them a 5150 and never shipping it. You've avoided my question many times, for some strange reason.

What happened? Were you falsely accused, or what?

• Members

he got his amp, a couple of the tubes were broken from shipping, lots of bull{censored} drama blah blah blah it was a year or so ago and he got his amp so no one was falsly accused of anything it was just a rough deal, 1 out of the 20 or so ive had on here...

• Members

he got his amp, a couple of the tubes were broken from shipping, lots of bull{censored} drama blah blah blah it was a year or so ago and he got his amp so no one was falsly accused of anything it was just a rough deal, 1 out of the 20 or so ive had on here...

Cool man, that's all I was asking, I wasn't looking to bag on you, I just somehow missed how the drama ended way back when.

• Members

haha no worries i hated it though because it was never my intention, people dont notice that after that deal i sold a fireball and 2 guitars and neither had any complaints... neither side was happy about that 5150 deal it was {censored}ty.

Right on dude, I figured all was cool since you were still posting, but you just never know. Some people have big ones, if you know what I mean. Sorry about derailing the thread.

• Members

ok ive talked to a couple amp techs and a couple people on here and im getting 2 completely different storys, literaly 50/50

some say the KT88/6L6GC setup wont harm the 5150 at all and others say STAY AWAY PERIOD! anyone have opinions? im picking up my 5150 today and i still havent decided on the KT88 integrated quads or the other 5150 with just 6L6GC's

I'd be surprised if the "techs" you spoke with have much experience with 5150's. Bob isn't a tech. Anyone that works on them regularly is aware of the screen grid resistors failing.

FJAMods@aol.com is my email address when you need it repaired and the odds are stacked against you if you go with the KT88's. I could use a little more work.

Jerry

• Members

thanks for the input, yeah im planning on JJ's i had some in my triple XXX and it sounded amazing

:cool: The JJ el34's sound even better in the XXX but the 6l6gc's were pretty nice to. I honestly think they sound even better in the 5150s.

• Members
Originally posted by JerryP

I'd be surprised if the "techs" you spoke with have much experience with 5150's. Bob isn't a tech. Anyone that works on them regularly is aware of the screen grid resistors failing.

FJAMods@aol.com
is my email address when you need it repaired and the odds are stacked against you if you go with the KT88's. I could use a little more work.

Jerry

hahahah thats the funniest post ever... im probably not going with the kt88s anyways but if ur looking for more work i might consider a bias mod in the future ;)

• Members

hahahah thats the funniest post ever... im probably not going with the kt88s anyways but if ur looking for more work i might consider a bias mod in the future
;)

I'm pretty sure Jerry was being serious and he is a straight shooter so trust his words.

• Members

Honestly...all the amp needs is Jerry's magic. Seriously, if you get the clarity mod and bias mod from Jerry at FJAmods.com...you'll be blown away by the warm and articulation the amp will have. Why Peavey didn't hire Jerry to get these mods from him I'll never now. It's a completely different animal...yet the same. I guarentee you'll be happy.

JJ's do sound amazing in 5150's. I have tried EL34's in my amp after the FJA mods and they sound killer as well. I'm a 6L6 guy though.

Archived