Who all here has had a custom electric guitar built?

500Hz

• Members

Hell Yeah, I'm Happy with Mine.

Designed from the ground up. There was Nothing on the guitar that I didn't give the "Ok" for.

There are just SO many choices in building a guitar,...that most Big Companies can't offer all of that. That's why I just started from scratch with a Great Builder.
Ken Loper at http://www.kenloperguitars.com/pages/1/index.htm

He went MILES out of his way for me. Really can't say enough about the guy.

I got a Solid-Body
-Shaped similar to a J.E.T.
-Custom Top Carv
-Black Korina Back
-Myrtlewood Top(Awesome Wood)
-Custom Inlay
-Custom Headstock Shape
-Bolt-IN design, with neck runnin Deep into body(Really Tight Fit)
-Maple Neck with a Bubinga Stripe
-Ebony Board
-Flamed Maple Binding
-Tone Pros II Bridge & String Through Body w/ Custom Ferule Placement
-Real Wood Pickup Surrounds. 2-Toned. Flamed Maple & Ebony
Tongue Oiled Neck.

I'm forgetting alot, but that's the jist of it.

Who are you having build yours?

• Members
:cool:

man, that's one nice-looking guitar!

did it sound the way you thought it would, ie, did your wood/parts choices sound like you anticipated?

i'm talking with a fellow that my instructor knows from years ago...he's a cool guy that made a guitar for my instructor about 10 years ago

• Members
Originally posted by 500Hz

:cool:

man, that's one nice-looking guitar!

did it sound the way you thought it would, ie, did your wood/parts choices sound like you anticipated?...

Surprisingly,...Yeah Kinda.

Ken was pretty helpfull with explaining the tone of the woods. I especially wasn't familiar with Myrtlewood.

Korina is similar to Mahogany. It can have a bit more sparkle though. And Ken explained the Myrtlewood as, "Similar to Maple, but with more Low Mid Punch." Then there's the maple neck, ebony board, 25' scale, neck joint, etc,....

It's hard to explain,...But it has a really lush mid-range. It has a deep sound,..But it's pretty tight on the lows. Not boomy like a LP can sound. And the highs are kinda shimmery. It has a fairly quick attack. Somewhat snappy. Not as snappy as a strat. Aside from that,...I really like how responsive it is.

Eh,...this {censored}'s hard to explain. But Yes. To answer your question. It sounded quite similar to what I was expecting, and I got what I wanted.

It has a Duncan C5 in the bridge now. And I'm gonna be trying a JB in there soon.

Good luck with your guitar man!

• Members

-Alder Body
-Maple neck/ebony fretboard
-MOP dot inlays
-Les Paul Scale neck
-70's Strat headstock
-Sperzel tuners
-MOP pickguard
-string-thru bridge
-Duncan Invader humbucker
-Sparkle blue finish

The funny thing is, I had this built 2 years or so before there was a Delonge Strat
DSCF0281.JPG

• Members

Originally posted by squeally dan

That thing is beautiful!

Do you mind me asking how much it set you back. Whatever ammount, I bet it was worth it.

Not a whole lot. Just about $3,000.

Keep in mind, I didn't just Order this guitar. It was a fairly long process before he even started Building it.

Exchanging of autocad drawings, sending me test pieces of wood to make sure he got the shape & carv right, Actually Picking the woods from a {censored}load of pics he sent me, and alot of other things.

I could've had one built with less "Frills" for half that.

But it sure was worth it.

Thanks Man!

• Members

Not to be a smartass but, I've built several of my own guitars from scratch. Meaning that I bought the lumber from a lumber retailer nearby and cut, carved, and shaped the wood myself and buy the hardware from places like Stewart MacDonald and Warmoth. My latest, which is a LP copy is my main guitar right now. It's Mahogany with a birdseye maple top which I dyed a deep champange red and has a raw maple/maple neck. It cost me just a bit over $400.00 total. I'm planning another build this winter which will have a chambered mahogany/walnut body and maple/maple neck. The walnut is from an old old dismantled piano case.

• Members

Originally posted by cap'n'crunch

Not to be a smartass but, I've built several of my own guitars from scratch. Meaning that I bought the lumber from a lumber retailer nearby and cut, carved, and shaped the wood myself and buy the hardware from places like Stewart MacDonald and Warmoth. My latest, which is a LP copy is my main guitar right now. It's Mahogany with a birdseye maple top which I dyed a deep champange red and has a raw maple/maple neck. It cost me just a bit over $400.00 total. I'm planning another build this winter which will have a chambered mahogany/walnut body and maple/maple neck. The walnut is from an old old dismantled piano case.

If you can build me a guitar, where the Woods, and Attention to detail is of the same Quality as mine,.....for $400,.......I'll take 5 of them.

• Members
Originally posted by AcidRock23

:eek:

WOW, sweet axe!! Do you happen to have some clips anywhere? I'd kind of be interested in checking out what that sounds like, perhaps through a Fender-esque amp in lieu of the 'usual suspects'...

I should be able to do that. My friend should be bringing his Super Reverb over in a few days. So we'll have his Plexi, Super Reverb, and my Voodoo Amp here. We'll probably come out of it with quite a few clips.

Thanks bro.

• Members
Originally posted by sinnerx96

I should be able to do that. My friend should be bringing his Super Reverb over in a few days. So we'll have his Plexi, Super Reverb, and my Voodoo Amp here. We'll probably come out of it with quite a few clips.

Thanks bro.

*drool drool drool*:cool::D

• Members

nice instruments, alex!

that first shot of the lp clone is :eek::cool: very nice looking

looks like good-size frets on it too--that's one thing that my lp could use is taller frets...

i'm currently deciding between a 24.75" and 25.5" scale for my custom job...i like the sound of my lp a lot, but i think i probably play better on a 25.5 scale--that's what i started on and played for 10 years before moving to the lp

--ps...my bank transfer finally cleared into my paypal, so i can get that cd now!:)

• Members

Originally posted by Mistro54

Just for the sake of asking a question, where are some good places to look for custom guitar shops?

http://www.coreyjamesguitars.com/

http://www.kenloperguitars.com/pages/1/index.htm

http://www.heatleyguitars.com/

http://www.ericchristman.com/

http://stambaughdesigns.com/home.html

To name just a few. I've worked with Ken Loper, and Corey James. These guys are top notch. I still stay in touch with them. They really have a passion for what they do, and they really go out of their way.

I've also heard nothing but great things about the other three listed.

Archived