OT: What pot value for h-s-h pickups?

500Hz

• Members

when installing a combination of single coil and humbucker pickups in an instrument, should i use 250 or 500k pots?

any help is appreciated...

i'd like to know which pots to use for a h-s-h or a s-s-h configuration, as i'm about to order parts to assemble a guitar

my brother-in-law works in electrical engineering, and i hope to persuade him to teach me the correct soldering skills in a couple of weeks when he's here, and i'd like to have what i need ready to go

thanks!

:)

• Members

Originally posted by 500Hz

when installing a combination of single coil and humbucker pickups in an instrument, should i use 250 or 500k pots?

any help is appreciated...

i'd like to know which pots to use for a h-s-h or a s-s-h configuration, as i'm about to order parts to assemble a guitar

my brother-in-law works in electrical engineering, and i hope to persuade him to teach me the correct soldering skills in a couple of weeks when he's here, and i'd like to have what i need ready to go

thanks!

:)

I used 500k on my Ibanez. Seems to work fine.

-Joe

• Members

I used a 500k when I wired up my Jackson Pro (HSH). Actually, the way I wired it, you can't get a single coil by itself anyway. The single is only used in combination with a coil of each of the humbuckers in the 2 & 4 positions. The center position is actually both humbuckers, and I have series/parallel switches on the push-pull pots. (sorry, I'm rambling, but trying to give you ideas)

"Never let an engineer solder" That's what I heard when I got my first internship as an engineering student. Luckily I had been a radio repair technician prior to that and had been soldering for several years before that. I don't know your brother in law, but I've known plenty of engineers (and students) who barely know which end of the iron to hold let alone how to use it. If he solders alot then you're set, but just cause he's an EE I wouldn't guess that he can solder. (but again, you should know better than I do)

Good Luck! Learning to solder is a big first step in maintaining guitars/effects/amps etc.

• Members

Go to www.guitarnuts.com.

and many other sites out there that explain guitar wiring :cool:

the best thing is 2 use a 500k ohm volume control, then use a switching arrangment that puts a 500k ohm resistor in parallel with that same volume control when you are in the single coil only position. The single coil won't sound as good as it can if it see's a 500k pot at the volume; the 500k ohm resistor in parallel will make it see 250k ohm, which is what works better for single coils:D

Good luck;) :cool: :cool:

• Members

thanks fellows! that's what i needed to know, and i'll find the links useful!:)

...and the bro-in-law isn't an EE, he works in that field, in design-build of components and systems that enable disabled persons to drive automobiles--he lives that stuff! i've seen his work on circuit boards and it's very professional:)

since i learned to solder while repairing/installing copper water lines, my skills need a lot of fine tuning--namely using a soldering iron rather than a torch!:D it's not quite that bad, but anyway...

• Members

Originally posted by 500Hz

since i learned to solder while repairing/installing copper water lines, my skills need a lot of fine tuning--namely using a soldering iron rather than a torch!
:D
it's not quite that bad, but anyway...

Well, at the most basic level, both types of soldering have one thing in common. You need to heat the material and let the solder flow in. Otherwise you get a cold solder.

Of course the solder is very different. You use acid core for pipes and rosin core for electronics.

Archived