Yamaha MM6 = pro keyboard?

• Members

I'm trying one out (out of necessity). The sounds seem to be similar to the PSR 500, main diff seems to be appearance and no onboard speakers. Definitely has thinner sounds than that of the Motif (duh) although a select few patches are somewhat phatter. Does anybody here gig with one? What bread-and-butter patches work the best?

I know my best bet is to return it and shop for a used Motif but that is not an option as I am gigging 12 nights in 2 weeks, starting tonight. Thanks for any last minute advice from you working muso stiffs.:)

• Members

I'm trying one out (out of necessity). The sounds seem to be similar to the PSR 500, main diff seems to be appearance and no onboard speakers. Definitely has thinner sounds than that of the Motif (duh) although a select few patches are somewhat phatter. Does anybody here gig with one? What bread-and-butter patches work the best?

I know my best bet is to return it and shop for a used Motif but that is not an option as I am gigging 12 nights in 2 weeks, starting tonight. Thanks for any last minute advice from you working muso stiffs.
:)

Actually, the sounds in the MM6 should be exactly the same as in the Motif Classic. It's the same ROM.

• Members

Definitely has thinner sounds than that of the Motif (duh) although a select few patches are somewhat phatter.

I had a motif classic and an MM6 in my living room a month or so ago. The patches are exactly the same. I even recorded some patches and looked at waveforms, they were like identical DNA samples.

What bread-and-butter patches work the best?

Power Grand

E Pianos

Acoustic guitars (mega steel)

flute

bassoon

timpani

soprano sax

• Members

Yeah it doesn't sound thinner than Motifs. It just doesn't have the variety, flexibility, or polyphony of the newer ones.

I didn't spend a lot of time on one, but I thought the PSR-type keybed was actually easier to play on than the one Yamaha puts on the MO. I think I could gig with it in a pinch. And that's what you're sayin' right PFC? You need something like... right now?

• Members

Yeah it doesn't sound thinner than Motifs. It just doesn't have the variety, flexibility, or polyphony of the newer ones.

It also has no way to name performances, which is a ridiculous mistake. There are 8 banks of 8 performances available. A performance is like a combi, its like a snapshot of all your settings and some are quite impressive and useful. However, the inability to name them is not going to help the gigging musician.

It also has no monophonic mode and no portamento. It makes lead playing almost impossible. There's a mini-moog patch that's pretty decent, but without monophonic and portamento, it's useless. Ditto the "Lucky man" patch.:rolleyes:

• Members
It also has no way to name performances, which is a ridiculous mistake.

/QUOTE]

Actually, while you may think it was a mistake- something like that would be done on purpose, given the budget nature of the keyboard, it will have limited abilities. The chip can only do so much on a less expensive board like this. This just another reason why an Mo6 is a better bet

• Members

Thanks for the comments, please keep 'em coming!

I know a good keyboard player who uses an MM6 and he's pretty well satisfied. Also I knew cygnus uses one- was not sure how much for gigs though.

One major frustration- my FC7 expression pedal does not work with it. I use the correct (expression) jack and I can find NOTHING in the manual other than P41 saying you can use an FC7, with no instructions for set-up. BTW the pedal works with a P120.

• Members

I didn't spend a lot of time on one, but I thought the PSR-type keybed was actually easier to play on than the one Yamaha puts on the MO. I think I could gig with it in a pinch. And that's what you're sayin' right PFC? You need something like... right now?

The keybed is not the worst, I agree. I don't find myself distracted by it.

The name of the game for me (these days) is finding the cheapest tool that will do the job. I have gigged for a couple of years with only the P120 and a controller for an organ module. Now I need brass, strings with fast attack, banjo, pedal steel, cajun accordian etc.

• Members

[Actually, while you may think it was a mistake- something like that would be done on purpose,

I wasnt saying it was an overlooked error. It was a mistake with customers who have purchased an mm6, and may be future customers (or not).

Yeah, 500 dollar keyboards cut corners, no doubt. This is usually done by a cheaper plastic build, cheaper keybed, less rom, less insert effects, no sequencer and less polyphony etc. But 64 performances that can't be named? IMO that's a bad judgement call. It's also 10 dedicated buttons on the front, something that isnt cheap. Word of mouth is a great selling tool, and a look at the motifator website tells one that current mm6 owners arent happy with that omission, even for the cheap price.

• Members

Now I need brass, strings with fast attack, banjo, pedal steel, cajun accordian etc.

The banjo is ok, I just tried it and its passable. Live strings 004 has a fairly fast attack. Musette accordian is probably the best but it's subpar.:cry:

Also I knew cygnus uses one- was not sure how much for gigs though.

Mine has never moved more than 2 inches in 2 years. But I like it, and it will probably do well for you. I think the build will be fine, and your back will thank you.:thu:

• Members

PFC there is a MM6 on my local Craigslist right now. He's asking $400. I dunno... you could call him and ask if he will ship.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/msg/1115130012.html

Last year there was an ES6 locally here just about every week or so, often for as little as $750. Guys dumping them for the XS. But the second owners must be hanging on to them because they don't come up very much at all these days. Still I'd check around your local area if you haven't already.

• Members

Well, the MM6 was my first "synth".

I'm 16, and I find it pretty cool for a beginner.

Nice motifs sounds, good acoustics voices...

After 3 months I had to buy another synth, a REAL synth, because you can't edit nothing on the MM6.You can only adjust the cutoff, the resonance, attack, release, reverb, delay and apply some DSP effects...but with a bit of imagination you can create wonderful layer.I've created some nice stuff: Sakamoto's bells, Jarre's pads, Jump brasses etc etc

Anyway I'm satisfied.I gig with this!!!I use it for Pianos, EPs, Organs, Strings and some nice pads.

If you have a good stereo amp you won't have problems

Archived