Any of you guys into classical music?

JustinT

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Bach, Ravel, Puccini, Bartok, Stravinsky.

Right now I'm on an English kick. Holst, Britten, Vaughn-Williams, Finzi. Delius is one of my favorites.
:thu:

What are your feelings about Vaughn Williams' symphony #5. I know alot of people are split about it.

• Members

The term "classical" generally refers to all music for the concert hall (or opera and sometimes sacred music) written from 1650 to the present.

To the general public, yes. I was taught though that "Classical" refers a to specific period after Baroque and before Romantic. So that's how I always use it.

• Members

Well since the title asked....

I guess I'm primarily a meat and potatoes classical guy

Beethoven
Mozart
Bach & Sons

but also
Stravinsky
Tchaikovsky
Mussorgsky

Increasingly into
Brahms
Chopin
Rachmaninoff
Schumann

Some Gerald Finzi and Weber clarinet/woodwind works.

and of course:
E.S. Posthumus

• Members
Well since the title asked....

I guess I'm primarily a meat and potatoes classical guy

Beethoven

Mozart

Bach & Sons

but also

Stravinsky

Tchaikovsky

Mussorgsky

Increasingly into

Brahms

Chopin

Rachmaninoff

Schumann

Some Gerald Finzi and Weber clarinet/woodwind works.

and of course:

E.S. Posthumus

Weber clarinet concertos :thu:

Oh man I LOOOOVE them!

• Members

Wow you guys are really knowledgeable must of the composers I'm familiar with are the ones I played, but that was like 10 years ago. I lost interest until really giving late romantic and 20th cent and avant guard a serious listen. Musique concrete, dada and electro-accoustic are all a little too 'arty' and not always practical or reasonable but I draw a lot of influences from it! You just have to understand music as art is not 'elitist' but definately not for general consumers. If you do venture into noise, ambient, minimal, etc these would be nothing without the often thankless artists who originated it. Don't go for glory trust your feelings maybe your onto something..

• Members

My father is a serious classical buff. He even writes articles for the Dayton papers about the Dayton Philharmonic's performances. Ever since I can remember he's owned a massive collection of recordings. Often times he'll own several performances of the same piece and one complete wall in his office is literally shelves of CDs, 90% classical and opera.

Believe it or not, here in Ohio there are a surprisingly excellent range of orchestras and symphony halls. Everything from decent (Springfield) to impressive (Dayton) and even world class (Cincinnati). Naturally my father used to "drag" the family to hear many of them when I was a wee lad (he still does!). It wasn't until the age of 9-10 I began to really appreciate the music and now I have a pretty decent "classical" collection of my own. I also subscribe to BBC's Music magazine and that's a great way to acquire a well rounded collection of various recordings (free CDs w/ every issue!) and sample different artists you may not have heard.

Some of my favorites are Sergei Prokofiev, John Adams, Hector Berlioz, Gustav Mahler, Philip Glass, Vaughn Williams, and Samuel Barber. Even some Strauss, Holst, Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart sometimes.

• Members
I've been writing alot of music in the past few months. I trust everyones instinct and ears here so here goes....

Come check out some of my classical compositions i'm trying to get performed, on youtube:

Overall I quite enjoyed your works. I listened to three of them. I think you're making a great effort and obviously taking some major time making your compositions. The string quartet seemed a tad scattered and needed some "glue"... wasn't really my bag but I did enjoy " A King in Vienna" and thought it had some interesting things going on with the harp. A lot of dissonance and different directions happening with the "Self Portrait in Spring". It was like the piece was written by someone with ADD, but that's what was keeping my attention! :thu:

• Members
Think in terms of the
PLAYER.
Ya gotta find someone to play it, so ya have to think on their level. As a violinist, I would find this not as satisfying to play as other pieces. String players love virtuosity, they are showoffs that spend eternities in practice rooms getting good chops. They want to use them.

What I am hearing is lots of textures. That might be good for a listener, but crappy for the player.

Just curious, how do string players feel about performing compositions by Philip Glass? Are they terrified from the risk of repetitive strain injury? :lol:

Actually this question is half-serious. :facepalm:

• Members
Overall I quite enjoyed your works. I listened to three of them. I think you're making a great effort and obviously taking some major time making your compositions. The string quartet seemed a tad scattered and needed some "glue"... wasn't really my bag but I did enjoy " A King in Vienna" and thought it had some interesting things going on with the harp. A lot of dissonance and different directions happening with the "Self Portrait in Spring". It was like the piece was written by someone with ADD, but that's what was keeping my attention!
:thu:

Thank you. You guys are awesome here in the keyboard forum, just dont tell the guitar forum guys i said that!

• Members

Beethoven !!!!! Although he falls somewhere between Classical and Romantic.

"Emperor" (Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major) is hands down the most enjoyable piece of piano playing I have ever listened to.

I also enjoy the Russians (Rimsky-Korsakov, Rachmaninoffm Tchaikovsky)

Lastly, I have a soft spot for Gershwin. Rhopsody in Blue is an epic mastepiece.

• Members
Just popping in to give props to Cygnus64. Man, your posts are an education and its great to have someone of your experience willing to participate, share and offer advice.

Thanks Epyon.:thu:

What are your feelings about Vaughn Williams' symphony #5.

Beautiful piece, very powerful considering it was premiered in 1943 during the war. Great English Horn solo in the 3rd mvmt.

Believe it or not, here in Ohio there are a surprisingly excellent range of orchestras and symphony halls.

That's because of all the music schools. CIM, CCM, Oberlin to start. BW, OSU, YSU, Ohio Wesleyan, on and on. Good players are a dime a dozen.

Just curious, how do string players feel about performing compositions by Philip Glass?

Snoozefest. Watching paint peel is like an adrenaline rush compared to Glass. We played one in February. The fiddles had one note. Really. One note, played maybe 10 times. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.:lol:

Archived