Tech savvy folks can turn anything into a sample yes?

Alanfc

• Members

I have this friend who is a horn player that advertises his recording services online, and has sound samples of his playing on his business site - -

But yesterday I got to thinking and then I told him, maybe he should "watch out there's some pretty smart guys out there that could just download your mp3 clips and turn them into samples, rendering your business idea useless"

Am I right ? (I don't want to be right)

thanks if you can offer any insight

• Members

I have this friend who is a horn player that advertises his recording services online, and has sound samples of his playing on his business site - -

But yesterday I got to thinking and then I told him, maybe he should "watch out there's some pretty smart guys out there that could just download your mp3 clips and turn them into samples, rendering your business idea useless"

Resolution would be too low to be useful. I wouldn't worry.

• Members

Only in theory.

What you are suggesting already exists, it's called a sample library. It's actual recordings of people playing notes one at a time. Yes, they could do this with your friend, but it would be a pain and the libraries can be had for dirt cheap, GPO is $220 or so.

Anything can be sampled. Your friend is posting mp3s, real producers want high quality wav files. He's also playing licks. Unless that lick can be used in your song, it's useless. He'll be fine.

• Members

Those that want the Real Deal won't be satisfied with samples and will hire your friend.

I tried (not very hard) to do what his friend is trying to do: record backing tracks "virtually". The idea was that I would overdub violin tracks and my friend would do cello tracks. We didnt get very far, mainly due to me drinking heavily back then.:lol:

What I found is that people want to supervise. The "product" is actually having people show up in the room with you, even though the result will be the same. For some odd reason, musical 1s and zeros sent via email don't encourage people to open their wallets, go figger.:lol:

• Members

The work involved for that is so big (and the reward so little) that it's not worth the effort.

He probably should let the previews be of low enough quality (a Flash player might help in that regard since it blocks the most obvious freeloaders) so that the clients won't say no after 2 attempts and then use either anyway.

• Members

Too late. I have already taken your friends recordings and made samples from them. All horns are now obsolete. Please turn them in for proper recycling. I'm thinking about selling these samples, but I think I'm going to keep them to myself for several years to increase the value due to the rarity factor. Keep your eye on ebay for the ultimate horn sample collection (password only) with the $1,000 minimum bid and the $2,500 buy it now. That will be me. It will be a great deal at that price, because it's sure to go up in value once everyone starts missing the sounds of horns.

On a related side note, I have started a hedge fund that is actively investing in Tower of Power recordings. I will corner the market on horns. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha.

• Members

Link?

Archived