SOT: what do you do....

ratter

• Members

Let's say you have four amps that are quite different from each other, but generally speaking, one of them is head and shoulders better than the other three. A real gem. BUT, despite the fact that it's the best amp overall, its tone or features or whatever are not very well-suited to the kind of music that you want to make. Do you stick with it, because maybe you could move it and never find another gem again? Do you start wheeling and dealing trying to find a new gem that IS well-suited to your music?

What do you do, hotshot?!

1067962887speed1_3.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by unchained777

The only logical answer is...

DON"T SELL THE BUDDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

:D This is a slightly fictionalized question because I didn't want specifics about the gear to cloud the question. The Budda (until the brown truck comes later this week) is my only amp right now...

• Members

Originally posted by riffy

I sell it.. There are many gems... Just depending upon if you want Topaz or Lapis Lazuli.

Interesting. This might just be because I don't get out and play enough gear, but I'm talking about the kind of gem that I've come across exactly 3 times in 20 years of playing guitar and trying out gear. And at least one of those three doesn't even count, because there's no way I could afford it.

Let's say it's guitars. You like LP's, but prefer Strats. But you luck into a Holy Grail type of LP. Do you keep it even though it's an LP and keeping it means that you can't go looking for a Holy Grail Strat?

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

Interesting. This might just be because I don't get out and play enough gear, but I'm talking about the kind of gem that I've come across exactly 3 times in 20 years of playing guitar and trying out gear. And at least one of those three doesn't even count, because there's no way I could afford it.

Let's say it's guitars. You like LP's, but prefer Strats. But you luck into a Holy Grail type of LP. Do you keep it even though it's an LP and keeping it means that you can't go looking for a Holy Grail Strat?

Ok,

In that context. I keep the Holy Grail LP, only until I find the Holy Grail Strat and then the HG LP goes the way of the Dodo. I have been there... I am lucky, I have a lot of friends that have very ESOTERIC gear tastes to be kind...lol... A lot of what they use is a lot of what is talked about here. That is how I came across the Cornford MK50 I bought. From a friend of a friend. Lucky for me I do get to play a lotta gear.

But still, when you find what shakes your tree, you have to go for it and hope it works out in the long run!

• Members

Mike we've discussed this before. You've thought about selling it and trying other amps so many times... I say sell the Budda and trya s many amps as you can. That said I think you'll end up with another Budda. The thing is you have to get rid of the curiousity thats eaten at you. So take the Journey. Budda will be making SD80s for a long time.

• Members
Originally posted by yngzaklynch

Mike we've discussed this before. You've thought about selling it and trying other amps so many times... I say sell the Budda and trya s many amps as you can. That said I think you'll end up with another Budda. The thing is you have to get rid of the curiousity thats eaten at you. So take the Journey. Budda will be making SD80s for a long time.

That's pretty much a done deal. I'm actually not talking about amps this time. I was just being semi-hypothetical in a way that the forum could relate to. :D

But in terms of amps, I don't know if the Germino will be a keeper or not, but if it's not, I will probably sell both it and the Budda and just keep trying new amps until I find something cool. Just to mix it up a bit.

• Members

Sell the "amp", there are others out there if you do your research and are patient. For me owning a 59 grail LP would do nothing for me since I am not an LP player and I would just route the sucker for a floyd anyways thous wrecking any value that it had :D

Sell it and move on, you will find another when the time is right.

• Members
Originally posted by ratter

Let's say you have four amps that are quite different from each other, but generally speaking, one of them is head and shoulders better than the other three. A real gem. BUT, despite the fact that it's the best amp overall, its tone or features or whatever are not very well-suited to the kind of music that you want to make. Do you stick with it, because maybe you could move it and never find another gem again? Do you start wheeling and dealing trying to find a new gem that IS well-suited to your music?

What do you do, hotshot?!

1067962887speed1_3.jpg

Lmao, you just described my exact situation to a T....are we having similar troubles? :D

Archived