KOT: Audix i5 vrs. e609

Kyle DiSanto

• Members

I'll try to hit up some descriptions in a little while... in the middle of a vid game :)... But, I'd look into the e609, Senn 421(I'd only buy used, try to charge way too much for what it is), and maybe a mid-priced large diaphram condensor. I haven't used these much, but they've been recommended to me for dual micing with a dynamic like the 57. And, hell, if you've got the cash, a nice ribbon with another mic is suppose to sound awesome. Ala, the first Candlebox album.

• Members

You need a good condenser mic. I like to use condenser's on the rhythm guitars (more body, and overall smoother sound) & a 57 on the lead. Or, you can pan one right, the other left.

There are tons of good condensers, such as the Audio Technica 3035, 4040, 4050; studio projects C1, B1; Rode NT-1A or NT2000 (these mics don't have pad, so if you are blasting the amp, may want to consider other mics). I have a 3035, which has a smooth top end. The 4040 has a brighter top end, and may be good for darker sounding guitars. The C1 is probably the best, and I think you can get one for like $200 street.

I have an audix D3, which is similar to the I5. The D3 has a more broad midrange, and doesn't have an emphasis on the upper midrange, like the 57 has. I don't have an I5, but I have heard other members recording with it, and it is very similar. The D3 can handle some serious SPL. It is a good mic! It would be a good addition to your mic locker.

The sennheiser E609 is a scooped in the mids, and there are a lot of lows. If your looking for a "metal sound," then it is a good mic. Otherwise, a condenser sounds so much nicer than the E609. I think the E609 is "bleh..." YMMV

good luck,

jrc

• Members

the i5 is more open sounding than the 57, doesn't have that nasaly high-mid thing going on...and you'll also get a bit thicker low end

the 609 is a little more open sounding than a 57 (not as much as the i5) it's pretty nice in the high and mid frequencies but kinda like the 57; it sorta lacks something in the lows IMO...i think the 609 sounds like the amp in the room moreso than the 57 or i5

a condenser mic can work well, but you gotta be patient with them...the mxl 993 is a really nice one, GC has them on sale for $49 a few times a year...it's obviously not the best condenser mic you can get, but hard to beat for the price...and it will be a good one to get you used to how condenser's work with your rig

• Members

I just saw the other 4 page thread on the 57, i5, e609 mic comparision and Im stuck. I will only have the cash to get one of these mics at first (new tubes on the way). I like the Idea the e609 sounds more like what I hear in the room. Damn I have to get both now lol but which one first??hahaha PEACE THANKS AGAIN!

• Members

I have used all of the mentioned mics (not the 421) but i have an i5, a few 57's, and a couple E609's. As well as 2 large diaphagm condensors, and lots of other mics...for guitars, i say 57's are the best, followed by the E609 (very closely) followed but a condensor, then in last place the i5.

The i5 is an ok mic for an alternative to a 57, but it doesnt sound as good IMO as the 57.

The real way to look at it is this: What will it be used for primarily, and where. If ur gonna be doing live stuff where u need ur own mics, the 609's rule. in the studio, i'd say get a condensor, b/c u'll get more than just guitar use out of it.

Archived