back in the amp hunt again...

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

So the Metropolis does absolutely nothing that I want it to do... and now I'm selling it, or sending it back, which ever ends up being easiest...

I only really need one channel, and I'm thinking of going down a marshally road since I have most of the other areas i'm interested in covered a bit... basically I'm listening to Rumah Sakit, explosions in the sky, and some other indie stuff, and I'm looking for an amp that will go from clean to pretty dirty (but by all means not high gain) with how hard I pick... maybe a little roll of the volume knob to help it along, sure, but you get the idea... touch sensitivity is key, I have a budget of lets say around 1600 and I'd put the watts at maybe 30 or 40, but not really important as long as it does what I want and is loud enough for shows

will a flexi-50 do this? what about the other marshall clones? this is a good time for you non-metalheads to hop in and get some posting time! heh, I'm just kidding, but thanks in advance...

• Members

would an 800 be good for a really low gain type of application tho? I guess I just think of it as a metal amp and haven't even considered it... i've been thinking of those jtm reissues and stuff, but I haven't really considered an 800

also, isn't the vht out of my price range? I'll look up the clips right now

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

So the Metropolis does absolutely nothing that I want it to do... and now I'm selling it, or sending it back, which ever ends up being easiest...

What Metropolis do you have ?

I owned one - loved it, but wanted more power than the 18 watt version I had...

I've also got a 60 watt Deliverance at the moment - great amp.

Steve E

• Members

I have the thirty watt non-reverb model

I just took it to a jam last night and it's gotten me to second guess my original decision to sell it... it's definitely an amp that doesn't take to being attenuated at all, but when it's cranked naturally, it really shines...

I don't know tho, the idea of owning a marshall is appealing, or that flexi for that matter...

• Members

thats what I thought too man, it really seemed to be the perfect amp for me, but I guess the problem is I just don't like the flavor of the distortion, it's too round and farty... even with the bass below halfway and the treble and presence cranked it still sounds kinda like a bass amp when you hit those low notes... when you dial it in realistically it sorta tends to get out of hand, at least for the application I'm needing... some of the most amazing full on cleans i've ever heard tho... anybody interested should make an offer before I box it up and ship it back, I'd like the guy who I bought it from initially to keep my money because he is a damn cool guy... I definitely plan on giving him more business as I am able...

• Members

thats what I thought too man, it really seemed to be the perfect amp for me, but I guess the problem is I just don't like the flavor of the distortion, it's too round and farty... even with the bass below halfway and the treble and presence cranked it still sounds kinda like a bass amp when you hit those low notes... when you dial it in realistically it sorta tends to get out of hand, at least for the application I'm needing... some of the most amazing full on cleans i've ever heard tho... anybody interested should make an offer before I box it up and ship it back, I'd like the guy who I bought it from initially to keep my money because he is a damn cool guy... I definitely plan on giving him more business as I am able...

I hear ya! If it's not doing the trick for you then you gotta find something that will. Good luck with your search.

• Members

It's a Bogner....
What did you expect...:D:D:D:D

• Members

Well, I myself am going through amp blues. My Marshall 2203x while it sounds great tonally lacks some bottom end. I bought the Trannie upgrades from Mercury but found out it is the caps that add bottom end to your amp and not the transformers per se. Although a good trannie will improve your over all tone so I am still installing them into my 2203x. HOnestly. I could tell you go for the 2203x but really I would say look for an early 80s 2203 Marshall singel channel. I am most likely going to do this. I am also ordering a Marshall handwired 59SLPHW. And the Handwired 4x12" G12H30 cab. I do not recommend this for you if you are not Marshall savvy! There are a lot of things you need to know if you buy a plexi amp. Like for one running the channels bridged together. #2 The only pedals that sound full enough through a plexi or NON MASTER Marshall are either a Valve DRiver/TOnebone Hot British which is a tube driven pedal or a fuzz pedal like the ANalogman NKT275 fuzz or otherlike a Dallas Arboitor. YOur gonna pay oiut the ass for one though!

Anyway IF you are looking for more of a sustainy type gain and not per say a metal gain than go check out the soundclip of the JTM45 clone that MOJAVE makes. Clip #9 and #10 sounds lreally sweet! YOull still need to bridge the channels possible anbd run a tube pedal or fuzz through it. THey are having a sale on all there amps right now. Good luck 2 u!

www.mojaveampworks.com

Archived