Marshall 18W / 20W questions..

gusfinley

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

The only thing I don't like about a kit is that it lays it all out in front of you so to speak... and you won't really learn that much from it other than assembly. By the time someone researches parts, figures out a board layout and parts layout, etc - it's a lot of work. Kits do come in different classes though, and if someone is just looking for an amp for sweat equity and a few bucks, it's hard to beat a kit. I'm thinking about buying a weber kit or two because they are priced really well
;)

Pete

It depends on your starting skills here. For someone who hasn't built anything before, I wonder if the whole layout and sourcing parts might just be overwelming. Just getting clean soldering skills, differentiating between a capacitor and a resistor, etc. is enough. You and I probably start at a similar spot: knowing electronics already and just needing to tailor it for handbuilt amps and learning a bit about tubes. Even with that, I still haven't gotten around to drawing up a nice layout for my next build.

• Members

So far I've built a Gibson GA-5 Les Paul Jr, and a '67 1987 50W plexi. I have been wanting to build the 18 watt and the 20W for a while, so why not just build them both in the same amp?

The schematic that I looked at did have similar components, but were not exactly the same, and the differences in value make sense as to the differences in the amps...

still waiting to hear one of those 20 watters though....

Archived