vox AD vs. AC

harmonix

• Members

hi guys- please help me out!

i own a ad100vt 2x12. it's a great amp- no doubt- but i'm not 100% satisfied with its tone.

so i'm thinking of either upgrade it with centurys or trade it back and get myself an ac30cc2. i'm not really depending on the versatility of a modeling amp - just want a good tone but short on money. so whatcha think? will the ad100 be allright with the centurys?

if then go for the centurys or century vintage? dr decibel says the century vintages are the closest to the neo dogs...

really don't know what to do...so i'd be happy about any input on this.

• Members

I played an AC30 1x12" CC with the vox own speakers, and thought it was absolutely killer.

Supposedly they have some reliability issues and aesthetics QA problems, so go to a shop and try one out and have a good look round it for any problems.

If you don't need the versatility - they AC is the way forward.

The CC has lots of different tones in it, and if you have an A/B switch, works as a 2 channel amp with clean and (suprising amount of) crunch.

Craig

• Members

yes...i heard about the reliability probs...

but the're saying the same things about the ad series and i didn't have any problems with it so far- so i think i'll give vox another chance anyway... life's boring without any risks ya know...

...but i wouldn't be brave enough to buy one at ebay though...

...anyone else??

• Members

I was just playing through an AC30 2x12 at GC last night and I was totally impressed with the tone and versatility of the amp. If it wasn't so dang heavy I might consider selling my Rivera and buying one - but no....can't do that! It is a very sweet sounding amp!

• Members

the AD and AC series couldn't be much different. If you're expecting the AC30 to be an uprgrade, you'll be very surprised.

That said the AC30 {censored}s all over any AD.

One more thing, the chinese AC30s are great sounding and (for an AC30) very well priced. But they don't compare to the original AC30s imo.

And yes, alnico blues make it or break it.

• Members

thanks guys for your opinions so far!

yes, the ac30cc is great sounding i know- but crashes my bank account a little...

but as i already have the ad100 and as some people who

have put some centurys into it sounded really really satisfied i thought maybe someone has had the chance to compare directly

the modded ad to the ac...

well anyway i am almost convinced to spend the 300 extra euros and go for the ac30 head and a 2x12...

try the head next week...i'll see if it's as grea

Archived