Swamp Thang for Metal?

aortizjr

• Members

Has anyone used a Swamp Thang for Death/Thrash/etc. Metal?

I guess it is similar to a JBL speaker, american sounding.

I have only use "British" sounding ones and like them. But am looking to load a Swamp Thang with maybe a Tonker in an EarCandy cab.

• Members

yep

i've got one cab with swampthangs, and one with govenors. allmost allways run them together.

if i had to choose between them, i'd pick a deferent one each time.

the swamptangs will do metal, just fine, they just don't have cone cry/breakup or whatever you want to call it like a british type speaker.

i've posted several times about them, do some searching.

guess it behaves allright when mixed, but one thing to take into consideration if mixing is that the swampthang has a super sweet and useable feedback. it could do Ted Nuggents hibernation type stuff very well.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by aortizjr

Has anyone used a Swamp Thang for Death/Thrash/etc. Metal?

I guess it is similar to a JBL speaker, american sounding.

I have only use "British" sounding ones and like them. But am looking to load a Swamp Thang with maybe a Tonker in an EarCandy cab.

I

• Members

This is actually an old thread that I forgot I had posted.

I did end up getting a Swamp Thang into an EarCandy Sovereign 1x12. It is really nice and thick. Enough low-end to be full and very big sounding.

My EarCandy holds up to a full stack pretty well at practice.

For gigging I use it with other styles of music and it holds up very well. Great for just about any style.

I do have some issues with very british hard-rock/punk sort of tones. They sound better, rounder and thicker. Sometimes I do try to go for thin and crappy though.

I think when I someday order a 2x12, I will get two Swamp Thangs.

• Members

Originally posted by aortizjr

This is actually an old thread that I forgot I had posted.

I did end up getting a Swamp Thang into an EarCandy Sovereign 1x12. It is really nice and thick. Enough low-end to be full and very big sounding.

My EarCandy holds up to a full stack pretty well at practice.

For gigging I use it with other styles of music and it holds up very well. Great for just about any style.

I do have some issues with very british hard-rock/punk sort of tones. They sound better, rounder and thicker. Sometimes I do try to go for thin and crappy though.

I think when I someday order a 2x12, I will get two Swamp Thangs.

I have a G-Flex and it has tons of low end. Right now I'm considering the Buzzbomb loaded with a Swamp Thang and another speaker which I haven't decided yet.

How does the Swamp Thang handle the middle range?

I'm having problems cutting through with the G-Flex and need a cab that can handle the mids.

• Members

Originally posted by DarkCide

I'm having problems cutting through with the G-Flex and need a cab that can handle the mids.

Eh, it's sort of like I "coat it in syrup" speaker.

I don't think you'd cut live, but mic'd you'll have so much more warmth and body that the other guy will sound like a fuzzy ball of lint, meaning he'll have3 to be louder in the mix, and you still won't hear him.

It's a great corrective speaker for people that don't have ribbon mics or really dark mic preamps.

• Members

Originally posted by DarkCide

I have a G-Flex and it has tons of low end. Right now I'm considering the Buzzbomb loaded with a Swamp Thang and another speaker which I haven't decided yet.

Mine handles it just fine. I run in open mode for rhythm and cut through just fine. With focused mode for my leads, it really cuts through.

This is up with a XXX with two 5150 4x12's.

Archived