ot: good acoustic bass music?

• Members

hello, I know there are some discerning listeners around these parts...

I can never get enough acoustic bass music. No matter what genre, I just love to hear the wooden, dusty grooves that come out of this instrument. for example, I love Charles Mingus, Chris Wood (MMW), or the sample in the d&b classic "Brown Paper Bag" by Roni Size.

can anybody turn me on to some cool music featuring the acoustic bass? I'd really like to learn the names of some jazz greats in particular.

thank you

• Members

Here's some stuff that might interest you:

Instrumental stuff

Flanger 'Midnight Sound'

Red Snapper 'Prince Blimey'

Vocal stuff

Soul Coughing 'Ruby Vroom' (vocalist's nasal voice can work on your nerves though - but musically this is some great acoustic drum & bass)

Nine Horses 'Snow borne Sorrow' and/or the 'Money for all' EP - incredible songcrafting, acoustic bass, funky wizardry and great vocals in one package. I wish there were more like these.

Would also recommend checking out stuff from Bugge Wesseltoft, my favourites albums are 'New Conception of Jazz', 'Moving' and 'Live'.

• Members

There's a fantastic band in Australia I discovered during a recent visit called The Cinematic Orchestra. They have a guy, Phil France, who plays an electric double bass that's a big part of their sound. Really moody, jazzy and ultra cool. Highly, highly recommended!

Archived