PB clip: Royer 121 & sm57

Darth Balls

• Members

I hated the Royer 121 until recently. I miked it differently this time, with a 57.

This one sounds way less solid state than my last ones comparing the 57 and 57/c1 combo. Too fuzy, but very high gain low volume. More poweramp tone/less preamp gain would help this. Needs more highs, I think. The Royer's dark.

Warning: this is a death metal Morbid Angel-type of riffage. No pansies allowed. :D

Soundclick page

• Members

Thanks, dudes. I think it has too much mids maybe.

Mic pre was an Akai DPS24, which I think compares to Grace 101.

API or that Vipre or any warm tube or Neve-like pre would be too warm, I would guess, for the very dark 121. Maybe to warm up a U87, I would imagine could balance things. But I've never tried those pres, so who knows, maybe I might like it. Especially in a bright tracking room, which is not what I'm in now. In the future, I wouldn't mind a Millenia or Avalon for the 121, and maybe a UA for the 57. Then a stereo 1176 and a pair of Amek 9098 eqs. After I win the lottery of course.

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad I "found" my Royer.

• Members

The Royer is the best mic for capturing the 'real' sound coming from your speakers, IMO. The PB has some characters that could be considered 'solidstate' sounding (tightness mainly), but it never hurts to throw another mic in the mix!

Archived