THD Yellow Jacket Size

NashSG

• Members

Is a THD Yellow Jacket with an EL84 installed longer than a 6L6 tube? If so, by how much?

I'd like to try a set of the Yellow Jackets in my 5150 combo, but there is just enough room to get a 6L6 underneath the sockets and install. If the Yellow Jackets are much longer, I don't think they would work.

They list in the Musicians Friend site, a short standard and a standard Yellow Jacket. Are these of a different size? There does not appear to be any difference in the picture.

I've emailed THD a few days back and looked on a few different sites trying to find the size, but I could not find it listed anywhere.

I'm figuring by pictures the Yellow Jacket is probably an inch to inch and a half longer and won't fit in my 5150 combo.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

The regular yellow jackets will be too long, but I'm not sure about the short versions. I have a Hot Rod Dlx and put the regular ones in it and they are much longer than the original 6l6s that I had. But I will say that my tone is incredible now. Transformed my american amp into a british monster.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

anybody ever try these in a marshall?

yup - in a 1987x head. it pretty much became a different amp. very squishy in comparison, much easier to get good gain at lower levels, but no longer has the bottom and girth of the EL34s - nothing surprising about that though. depends on your marshall. I doubt i'd want to for metal - but then I don't play metal. for the blues to classic rock end of things I really liked them.

Archived