Bret Michael's Keyboardist = FAIL.

• Members

I just saw The Bret Michaels Band and I have to say...fail. Not to the band, because the dhow was exciting and high energy, lots of fun. But watching the keyboardist, I was deeply saddened. I realized that I could, even at my young age, be a touring keyboardist. You see, the only thing this guy did all night was play your basic, run-of-the-mill, 3-note block chords with a root note in the bass. Sometimes he would get frisky with it and throw in a little 5th in the bass chord.:facepalm:

Also, when it came to the (originally amazing) piano solo in Sweet Home Alabama which they covered, all the guy did was play the V IV and Root of the chord in a basic downward arpeggio. Now I'm not all that great of a piano soloist, but I mean really. What makes me mad though, is that for playing what was about a summers worth of learning for me, the guy made probably $600-$800 dollars tonight. I do more than that at my buddy's cafe every weekend for FREE. Sorry if I offended anyone you may know, but I'm very passionate about the piano and think that if you're gonna play it, play it good. :thu:

That is all, pardon my meaningless rant.

• Members

I just saw The Bret Michaels Band and I have to say...fail. Not to the band, because the dhow was exciting and high energy, lots of fun. But watching the keyboardist, I was deeply saddened. I realized that I could, even at my young age, be a touring keyboardist. You see, the only thing this guy did all night was play your basic, run-of-the-mill, 3-note block chords with a root note in the bass. Sometimes he would get frisky with it and throw in a little 5th in the bass chord.
:facepalm:

Also, when it came to the (originally amazing) piano solo in Sweet Home Alabama which they covered, all the guy did was play the V IV and Root of the chord in a basic downward arpeggio. Now I'm not all that great of a piano soloist, but I mean really. What makes me mad though, is that for playing what was about a summers worth of learning for me, the guy made probably $600-$800 dollars tonight. I do more than that at my buddy's cafe every weekend for FREE. Sorry if I offended anyone you may know, but I'm very passionate about the piano and think that if you're gonna play it, play it good.
:thu:

That is all, pardon my meaningless rant.

Wuwuwwaaaaaaiiiit a minute....... you saw Bret Michaels? Now see, this was your first mistake. I do appreciate your courage for coming out with it though :lol:

• Members

Wuwuwwaaaaaaiiiit a minute....... you
saw
Bret Michaels? Now see, this was your first mistake. I do appreciate your courage for coming out with it though
:lol:

Our town has a small 2-day music festival every year and a friend of mine gave me a free ticket sooo...yeah. This was the first year I've been since the Beach Boys came in '00. That was amazing.

Oh and if you were wondering, he played a Motif EX8, and he never once changed the patch. Bloomin' shame.:cop:

Oh, and thanks for the encouragement Diametro. Maybe I do have a chance :lol:

• Members

But watching the keyboardist, I was deeply saddened. I realized that I could, even at my young age, be a touring keyboardist. You see, the only thing this guy did all night was play your basic, run-of-the-mill, 3-note block chords with a root note in the bass. Sometimes he would get frisky with it and throw in a little 5th in the bass chord.
:facepalm:

I guess he owns the PA?

• Members

Probably. Why else would they let him in? Good news, though. Tonight was country night and Josh Gracin's keyboardist was kickin it. Not sure what synth, but it sounded very nice from what i could hear. Well done mr Josh Gracin' Keyboard Man!

• Members

Robotic gorillas are hard to kill...

-Mc

holy {censored}, that was harrowing!!! reminds me of the animatronics from chuck e. cheese's, nightmarish.

i can watch this all day, not a fan. lip-syncing karma:

[YOUTUBE]2dA-AL90_RE&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Wuwuwwaaaaaaiiiit a minute....... you
saw
Bret Michaels? Now see, this was your first mistake. I do appreciate your courage for coming out with it though
:lol:

I was going to say this very thing. :) In fact, based on what my theoretical expectations would be for that show, I'm actually impressed that he has a keyboard player at all.

I do have one balancing point of view on this though. Other than the simplicity, and for argument's sake, assuming the music is to anyone's taste, did the music sound good (including the keyboard parts,) overall? There are two sides to this if we forgo the stigma that comes with certain bands. If the band is geared toward technique, wankery (good or bad,) and impressive and intricate creation, then it will most likely be great. On the other side of this, the band could make simplistic, yet very catchy and fun music that is equally pleasing to hear.

Then there is also just plain sucking I suppose...

• Members

Please tell me you didn't pay for that concert, but wait, you did, by giving time you will never get back. If you want to listen to some beeutiful piano and keyboard playing check out some GENESIS CD'S especially WIND AND WUTHERING and Trick OF THE TAIL. In my opinion Tony Banks is one of the best. If you can make it through "One for the vine" with all of it's key and time changes without fudgeing any notes, then I promise a lot of other pieces will seem atleast slightly easier.

• Members

I didn't pay for the show, with my money or my time. Riverfest is a big deal, so me and my friends went and hung out and there's a carnival and Rock Band competitions and all kinds of other stuff. No I didn't sit there and watch Bret Michaels for very long, just through Sweet Home Alabama, and then left.

• 1 year later...

Archived