Solo piano players- what's your rate?

• Members

I know there are only about 3 here who make money by sitting at a piano and playing unnacompanied.

To do that nowadays, you have to do more contempory music than before- I have to play 80's tunes for an upcoming 2-hour gig in Oct. Already know a fair share, but would welcome any suggestions.

• Members

$100 per hour is as close to a regular rate as I charge now. I no longer have steady gigs so the rate varies with the event, the travel, the number of people, the venue. I played for a huge graduation last week and made double rate. But then I've played house parties where a piano was supplied for cheap so anything goes. I do have one fast rule: the farther out they want me, the more I charge... I've already had calls for Christmas gigs and those get my highest rate, but come December if my dates are open my rates are less.

I play everything from 30's to current, pop/jazz/standards/latin but I try to keep the overall feel contemporary.

• Members

I know there are only about 3 here who make money by sitting at a piano and playing unnacompanied.

So I must be no. 3... :wave::lol:

Solo gigs only come up a few times a yr. for me but I take 'em when they come, usually a few around the holidays at least. Lately I'll go two and a half bills for 3hrs. plus dinner. Christmas time maybe it'll be three and a half for 4 hrs.

I bring a little amp and sing some pop tunes and ballads as well, though - so it's not just instrumentals all that time.

:cool:

• Members

Around here the going rate is $100 an hour, 2-hour minimum for private or corporate functions, about half that for restaurants/lounges/clubs.. sometimes I play for less if I can get done early and make a later band gig.

That is what I'm getting to play hotel lounges solo right now.

I open up my Standards book, read and play :"I Can't Give You Anything But Love (babeee)" and "What a Wonderful World", etc. 20's depression era song are very appropriate these days.

• Members

I play piano at local hotels and restaurants every weekend

Sometimes they give me a glass of wine. Sometimes Security will slam the piano lid on my fingers and ask that I enjoy the fresh air outside

My g/f says it can be embarassing for her.

I am not sure why

:D

Sounds like security should be part of my pride. Pianos make wonderful ornaments to a retarded tiger.

• Members

Actually, my first "Piano Whore" card said "if you can't get who you REALLY want, call me!" And for some reason everyone that that was funny.

I think you are onto something, like the 6th Spice Girl

spicegirls460.jpg

You could have one of those greeting card recordings on your biz card with:

(Wannabe Lyrics by Spice Girls.) ... So tell me what you want, what you really really want, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really ...

• Members

I only play a handful of solo piano gigs per year, the vast majority of them for "cocktail hour" before dinner at a wedding reception. Just did one two weeks ago and charged a flat rate $150. I told the folks that hired me, based on my experience, that they usually last between one hour and 1.5 hours, max, and that I would play up to this long, if needed. I ended up playing for 50 minutes, and received a $20 tip. Easy money!

Archived