I apologize for this (another Tokai thread)

FWAxeIbanez

• Members

I'm sorry for contributing to the madness... but I can't seem to get a straight answer on this, sure they kick the s*** out of epi's, but how do they compare to gibsons "faded" or "special" line? I'm looking specifically at the SG clone, and I personally didn't care too much for the faded SG, and rolled my eyes and bypassed the metallic "special" line entirely... I loved the SG standard a ton. I'm pretty sure the Tokai can't compare to the standard, but will it at least be a step above the faded?

• Members

A korean Tokai is better than an Epiphone, and I think a Japanese Tokai is better than a Gibson, I have owned a few of all these brands, and out of those brands the only guitar I have left is a Tokai USG100 (SG Custom) and I have a Loverock Custom (Les Paul Custom) on the way (both Japanese).

I do own an epiphone still actually! Forgot about that, haha.

• Members

the only SG copies I can seem to find are Koreans... and I sincerely don't mean to sound like an ass, but I know they can beat an epi, I mean the Faded gibby series... you know, the very bottom of the bottom of the Gibson line, do you have much experience with them? I didn't care for the few faded SG's I played, but I dug the Standard a lot... will it get me somewhere in the middle?

• Members

Originally posted by mrtokai

A korean Tokai is better than an Epiphone, and I think a Japanese Tokai is better than a Gibson, I have owned a few of all these brands, and out of those brands the only guitar I have left is a Tokai USG100 (SG Custom) and I have a Loverock Custom (Les Paul Custom) on the way (both Japanese).

where did you find the Japanese ones?! If I could find one I'd stop asking all these dang questions and just buy it... haha

• Members

Most shops over here (UK) that sell Tokai sell both Korean and Japanese models, I would have thought the same of in America, I have bought Tokai's before from Canada though and they do mostly seem to be Korean, the Japanese ones have the higher number in the model name.

The guitarist in my band I play drums in has a faded Gibson SG in worn brown, I think that the Korean SG's play as well as it.

• Members

I was told that Japanese models are no longer being imported at all... hmmm, the place I'm considering ordering is in Canada too and he said he couldn't get me a japanese model... it's that JSD's guitar shack place

and thanks a million for finally clearing that up, so the korean is about the same as the faded... hmmm, maybe I'll look into the epiphone elitist series SG, those are regarded by most to be better than the faded and special lines, correct?

• Members

I got one of mine in Canada from a place near Toronto and the shop was purple something I'm sure, and the other one from ermmm Mikes Music I think in Ontario somewhere, he sells on ebay a lot, I think he is the one with the ZW korean tokai up there. My sister lives in downtown Toronto so I always get stuff from North America shipped to her and then pick it up or get someone to bring it over. My Japanese SG Custom I got from a shop near me here for cheap, and the Les Paul Custom I am getting from a shop in England too for cheap! I think its a bit weird if Tokai are gonna stop shipping to North America, I am pretty certain they aren't gonna stop shipping here, you could try getting one from here sent over?

I'm at work at the moment, so no photo's, will get some new ones when the new love rock is here though, maybe a happy family shot with all my amps and my other guitars. This isn't mine, but is the same as mine....

http://home.btconnect.com/aguitar/images/productgalleries/Tokai/images/tokai_sg_custom.jpg

Actually, this is an old photo of me playing it live....

http://www.thepathichose.co.uk/images/live/30th%20Jan%20Park/30.jpg

• Members

I hate all the epi's that I have played... they look and feel like toys to me, except I've never played an elitist, and I regularly hear on here that they rival some of the lower rungs of the real gibby lines... elitist pauls are said to be above studios, or therabout, right? I dunno, I just want a Standard clone for less than the going rate of a used standard if possible...

• Members

I loved my SG Faded.

Mind you, I had to shlock though about 1/2 dozen or so before I found that one but it's like that with every guitar I buy.

If I didn't sell the SG, I would have been evicted. I got 5 bills for it. In good condition, they hold their value well.

• Members

Originally posted by FWAxeIbanez

I hate all the epi's that I have played... they look and feel like toys to me, except I've never played an elitist, and I regularly hear on here that they rival some of the lower rungs of the real gibby lines... elitist pauls are said to be above studios, or therabout, right? I dunno, I just want a Standard clone for less than the going rate of a used standard if possible...

My custom is rock solid. Hefty...it's no toy. I took it to a vintage shop for a pro tune-up and they liked it. They compared it to both new and vintage Gibbys.

Not as good as the GOOD ones, obviously. But they were happy and proud of the final set up and told me it's a perfectly fine guitar.

I use it on stage often.

FWIW, of course. I'll send you a pic. It's nice looking as well as good playing and sounding.

You must play a lot of Epi's to condemn them all.

• Members

Originally posted by mrtokai

Oh and those Epiphone Elitists are meant to be nice, never tried one but always kick myself for not buying one for really really cheap when I had the chance to a few years back when a shop was doing end of line deals on them.

They are very nice. All the wood is crafted in Japan then the guitar is sent to Gibson for all American Gibson LP Standard electronics, bridge, tailpiece, and pickups. The headstock is pretty much a copy of a Gretsch. They are every bit as good as a LP Standard IMO. The neck is somewhere between a 50's and 60's neck and is very comfy. The pickups are supposed to be just like the 490 and 496 but I have never compaired the readings to see if they are dead on. I have a set of LP Standard pickups coming from Giles to put in mine. They are so nice having the Epi on the headstock is a disgrace. Some are saying Gibson is going to discontinue them due to them being as good or better than their own Standards. In my experience I would have to agree. I would not hesitate to tell anyone to purchase an Epi Elistist if they were thinking of buying any type of Gibson guitar. The guitar was selling for over 1k at MF and when they put them on sale I got mine for $654 shipped in a very nice purple lined Epiphone case. I want an Elitist SG next.

On the Tokai, the upper end Agiles are the same way in comparison to the regular Epiphone line-better. If you can handle the rounded horn, I say get an Agile 2800 or 3000. The Tokai may have the same rounded horn now for the ones being made in Korea. Some have said they roll of the same line side by side with the Agiles. I cannot speak on the Japan Tokais though because I have never even held one. Both the Tokai and the Agile with need a pickup change. The stock ones pretty much suck IMO. Again, the Japan models may have better pickups.

• Members

the guy finally settled on 300 straight ahead for the SG elitist if I drive to him to pick it up... so I bit, I'm gonna go get it tomorrow... and I have an Anderson h2+ to drop in it too... I'm stoked

and epi elitist 61' reissue for 300... I'd say it turned out pretty well, the only ding is on the volume knob he said...

Archived