OT: Good free anti virus?

BrassMonkey

• Members

Originally posted by VanR

Do they actually work good? My Norton subscription is running out soon and I get tired of paying them $39 a year.

Norton blows balls, dude. Both in fighting viruses AND concerning PC resources. Norton hasn't been worth a {censored} in close to 10 years, seriously. People use it cause they don't know any better since Norton is popular.

Avast works awesome (way better than norton ever has) and is hardly noticeable. It's free!

• Members

Originally posted by MitchSchaft

Norton blows balls, dude. Both in fighting viruses AND concerning PC resources. Norton hasn't been worth a {censored} in close to 10 years, seriously. People use it cause they don't know any better since Norton is popular.

Avast works awesome (way better than norton ever has) and is hardly noticeable. It's free!

Harsh but so true.

• Members

Never had a single virus on my personal computer. Get any product that updates its virus definitions often (weekly). Just be smart in what you download. Have your browser prompt you for everything.

I use McAfee and I paid a measely $20 for it. Anyone who says, "XXX sucks" is really full of {censored}. Just because one engine doesnt find a virus and the other does, doesnt mean the other always will or vice versa.

I code non-militant viruses as a hobby(not released to public) and I can tell you that if you just use caution, you wont ever get a virus. A scanner is more useful when you know you didnt something stupid or you are suspicious of a file that someone is giving you.

• Members

Originally posted by AtarisPunk29

+1

But that's not a problem now that I'm on Linux.

Dont be so naive. ELF32/64 binary infectors have been around for years. Impact is minimal as a non-privi user, but still real. You will be less likely to hear about them because there are far fewer people scanning thier Linux boxes.

Archived