help me buy pickups for my mccarty!

flaming turd

• Members

i have a mccarty standard (all mahogany, no top) and i need to get some pickups for it. i bought it with a jb in the bridge, and no neck. i have had the jb before in an all mahogany guitar, and it was ok, but a little muddy/buzzy(?) i want to try something different. i have heard really good things bout the rio grande bbq/texas combo, but i am open to any suggestions.

thanks, bruce.

• Members

Depends on what kind of output you are looking for. In the bridge, 've had stock, C5, CC, Pearly Gates, and JB in mine at one time or another. Right now it's the CC. I like stock McCarty or AP2 in the neck. Mine is a maple top though. IMO the coolest sounding match for the Standard are P90s.

• Members
Originally posted by flaming turd

i guess i should have said what i play...
:mad:

alter bridge, bls, chevelle, pink floyd, goo goo dolls, submersed, default, tool, kings x, incubus, breaking benjamin, etc...

also, suggestions without anything alse (ie, why you like them) doesn't do me much good.

The van zandt neck pickup that I have has a nice warm tone with a good top end too - it's not muddy at all, has clarity which I really like. The HFS in the bridge is too harsh imho.

Pete

• Members

How about something out of a different PRS guitar? Maybe the Dragon pickups? 1's (uncovered) or the 2's (newer covered) I think u could do well with the HFS/Vintage Bass combo, they are slightly hotter and found in the 24 fret models.. They would not sound 2 muddy and could cut through any type of mix!

good luck + keep us posted

• Members
Originally posted by flaming turd

i guess i should have said what i play...
:mad:

alter bridge, bls, chevelle, pink floyd, goo goo dolls, submersed, default, tool, kings x, incubus, breaking benjamin, etc...

also, suggestions without anything alse (ie, why you like them) doesn't do me much good.

I would think the CC would do all those bands listed Very well. Its essentially a Hotter PAF/59 tone. Nice top/mids for leads and a smooth not to bassy bottom. Cleans are very nice as well.

Archived