OT: Help me decide on pickups for my Hamer Explorer

Chad-Chicago

• Members

I need help decideng on which PU's to put in my Hamer Explorer. I have some PAF's in there now with a coil tap, but its too muddy for me. I'm thinking new PU's and possibly changing the cap(.02) on my tone pot.

I am playing modern rock/alt-rock.

Thanks!

Chad

• Members

Originally posted by Chad-Chicago

I need help decideng on which PU's to put in my Hamer Explorer. I have some PAF's in there now with a coil tap, but its too muddy for me. I'm thinking new PU's and possibly changing the cap(.02) on my tone pot.

Chad

You need to tell us if the Hamer is a USA or import! I had a Hamer Standard import and no matter what I did I could not get a good sound. I put a pair of Duncan JB/59 on it, I played around with different caps, nothing worked. I got rid of it but kept the Duncans and put them on my Gibson Explorer. They sound great!

• Members

Originally posted by Armitage

I've got a bunch of Hamers, and not one is muddy... mainly because they use a .01 cap! They used JBs for years and lately have got to Duncan '59s... neither are muddy pickups either.

Is yours an import model?

Yeah, Its an import. I am thinking of just bypassing the tone ctrl. If that does not work, I am considering Duncans, JB/ neck and either a 59 or Pearly gates in the bridge. Whatcha think??

• Members

Originally posted by Big Hair

nice explorer!

How much do they cost?

Thanks. Got it for $225 off of ebay like a year ago.

My bass player is a former jeweler and is a luthier. He just cut a bone nut for me from a cows femer! He did a phenominal job. Plays great. Just a lil muddy for me.

I am also playing 10's. You think .09's would brighten it up a lil?? Should I bypass the tone pot??

Archived