Music Therapy Article

• Members

Thank you for sharing that article.

I saw a news spot recently about success help patients relax using harp therapy in some of our local hospitals with small harps brought directly to the patient to hold and strum. The harps are tuned to a pleasant chord (not sure - probably some whole tones like a wind chime set).

In terms of music therapy, I have always been "self medicating" ;)

Music is a powerful medium for communication and can be therapeutic indeed. So can the art and routine of caring for a musical instrument. When I bought my Rickenbacker 12 string from Willy's guitars in St. Paul, the owner told me that I could bring it in to have the strings changed for a reasonable price (one the order of 15 dollars for the labor or something like that). I told him I actually prefer to do it myself not so much to save money but because I enjoy working with it and that I change all my strings on my mandolins and whatnot and do all my own intonation. "I understand," he said, "it can be very therapeutic." There is a man who understands the basic joys of caring for a musical instrument :)

Cheers!

• Members

Thank you for sharing that article.

I saw a news spot recently about success help patients relax using harp therapy in some of our local hospitals with small harps brought directly to the patient to hold and strum. The harps are tuned to a pleasant chord (not sure - probably some whole tones like a wind chime set).

In terms of music therapy, I have always been "self medicating"
;)

Music is a powerful medium for communication and can be therapeutic indeed. So can the art and routine of caring for a musical instrument. When I bought my Rickenbacker 12 string from Willy's guitars in St. Paul, the owner told me that I could bring it in to have the strings changed for a reasonable price (one the order of 15 dollars for the labor or something like that). I told him I actually prefer to do it myself not so much to save money but because I enjoy working with it and that I change all my strings on my mandolins and whatnot and do all my own intonation. "I understand," he said, "it can be very therapeutic." There is a man who understands the basic joys of caring for a musical instrument
:)

Cheers!

I agree, playing music to me is the most calming.

Unfortunately I am yet to find a band that enjoys similar music to me, and are open to new concepts etc.

(so I'm not really able to play the music I enjoy in a group :( )

My current band members are great musicians but they're stuck in that- "i only wanna do eric clapton and rolling stones covers" phase...

They'll broaden their horizons soon, otherwise they will be severely limiting their potential

• Members

Good article - thanks for posting.

In addition to playing rock guitar for many years, I've also been very into synthesizers, new age music, and the healing effects of sound and music. I'm currently collaborating with a pioneer in this field, keyboardist Steven Halpern, who has written three books on the subject and has numerous CD's of healing music.

Archived