Gt12-75

MattACaster

• Members

So I bought a Marshall 1960A a few weeks ago from craigslist. Since them I've had a lot of time to try it with all my heads (Single Recto, Ulra Plus, Bassman) and it doesn't like any of them. They all sound terrible with it, especially the Bassman (which sucks because thats the head I bought it for).

So a couple questions...

Should I ditch the cab as a whole or just get rid of the speakers and reload it with something else?

How much would a quad of GT12-75s go for if I decided to sell them?

What speakers would you recommend to replace them? I have V30s in my other cab and I really like those with the Bassman but I want something different.

• Members

Originally posted by MattACaster

So I bought a Marshall 1960A a few weeks ago from craigslist. Since them I've had a lot of time to try it with all my heads (Single Recto, Ulra Plus, Bassman) and it doesn't like any of them. They all sound terrible with it, especially the Bassman (which sucks because thats the head I bought it for).

So a couple questions...

Should I ditch the cab as a whole or just get rid of the speakers and reload it with something else?

How much would a quad of GT12-75s go for if I decided to sell them?

What speakers would you recommend to replace them? I have V30s in my other cab and I really like those with the Bassman but I want something different.

a quad of 75's will go for $175-200.

if it was me, i'd probably just swap the speakers. those Marshall enclosures are just fine.

wait, you're the social D guy right? get Greenbacks, not G12H's.

• Members

Originally posted by the russ

a quad of 75's will go for $175-200.

if it was me, i'd probably just swap the speakers. those Marshall enclosures are just fine.

wait, you're the social D guy right? get Greenbacks, not G12H's.

I am the Social D guy.

Can someone describe the differnces between the GT12-75, H30s and Greenbcaks?

• Members

I am the Social D guy.

Can someone describe the differnces between the GT12-75, H30s and Greenbcaks?

75: scooped mids, icepicky around 1-2k. it's a very 90's sounding speaker.

H30: warm speaker, lots of lows and low mids. woofier speaker all around, yet brighter top end than G12M.

G12M: angus

• Members

Originally posted by danbronson

I would buy a new cab, but that's cause I'd rather get one of the higher quality alternatives to Marshall (yes, for the same price or even lower).

If you like V30s and you want a change, I can only suggest Greenbacks.

What would you suggest as an alternative?

• Members

:D:thu:

Your definatley pushing me towards Greenbacks.

If it's 16 ohm speakers you need, try the Eminence GB12s, their 50 watt version of the Greenback. I got 4 from Avatar for $29 (!) each and am digging them in my 4x12.

FYI, Avatar is selling the 75s new for $57 each incl. shipping.

• Members

Originally posted by PlayboyChris

If it's 16 ohm speakers you need, try the Eminence GB12s, their 50 watt version of the Greenback. I got 4 from Avatar for $29 (!) each and am digging them in my 4x12.

FYI, Avatar is selling the 75s new for $57 each incl. shipping.

I'm gonna check that out too. My Carvin 4x12 has some sort of Eminence speaker in it and I like them more than the V30s in my Mesa cab.

Thanks!

• Members

What would you suggest as an alternative?

Depends on if you're buying used or new, and how much (more or less) money you want to spend.

Randall cabs tend to cost less than a new Marshall (comparing the Vintage 30 loaded cabs) and are built better. Mesa/Boogie, Orange, Bogner, Splawn, VHT, Hiwatt, Framus and tons more that skip my mind are built better than Marshall cabs. Not a gigantic difference, but worth it to me at least. These ones cost a little more I believe.

I think your best bet is to just go to stores and play different cabs and decide which ones sound best and if they're worth it or not. Try to find them used.

It's a bit harder to find Greenback loaded cabs though, if you do decide to go with GBs. The most common GB loaded cab is the Marshall 1960AX i think. So all in all, that might be your best choice if it's cheaper or more common.

• Members

Originally posted by danbronson

Depends on if you're buying used or new, and how much (more or less) money you want to spend.

Randall cabs tend to cost less than a new Marshall (comparing the Vintage 30 loaded cabs) and are built better. Mesa/Boogie, Orange, Bogner, Splawn, VHT, Hiwatt, Framus and tons more that skip my mind are built better than Marshall cabs. Not a gigantic difference, but worth it to me at least. These ones cost a little more I believe.

I think your best bet is to just go to stores and play different cabs and decide which ones sound best and if they're worth it or not. Try to find them used.

It's a bit harder to find Greenback loaded cabs though, if you do decide to go with GBs. The most common GB loaded cab is the Marshall 1960AX i think. So all in all, that might be your best choice if it's cheaper or more common.

I see what your saying. The reason I picked up the Marshall cab was because I found it cheap on Craigslist and I've been wanting a 4 ohm cab to go with my Bassman. I think most of the cabs you mentioned are probably more than I want to spend, even used. As far as the higher-end stuff, I do have 2 Boogie cabs and a Carvin cab. Not that Carvin is higher-end but its definatley better built than the Marshall.

• Members

I have been searching for a speaker to compliment my BF Bassman too. I got the huge 2x12 bassman cab though, but I have been leaning either Celestion G12h30s or An Eminence Wizard, or Greenbacks or Emi Private Jacks.

Currently leaning towards Greenbacks and or Private Jacks for the tone I'm going for...A ragged british crunch.

• Members

I see what your saying. The reason I picked up the Marshall cab was because I found it cheap on Craigslist and I've been wanting a 4 ohm cab to go with my Bassman. I think most of the cabs you mentioned are probably more than I want to spend, even used. As far as the higher-end stuff, I do have 2 Boogie cabs and a Carvin cab. Not that Carvin is higher-end but its definatley better built than the Marshall.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1136867

Matt,

This is another thread that has some good links for getting an idea or at least a baseline as to how some of these speakers compare to one another. Enjoy the hunt.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by shredhead666

I hate to say it, but I don't think it's the speakers. I think it's the cab. Supposedly those same speakers sound friggin' amazing in the Voodoo 1990 cabs and Bogner UberKabs.

It really depends on the amp. I can not imagine a bassman agreeing with 75's period.

Tyler

• Members

Originally posted by shredhead666

I hate to say it, but I don't think it's the speakers. I think it's the cab. Supposedly those same speakers sound friggin' amazing in the Voodoo 1990 cabs and Bogner UberKabs.

well, first of all the two (speaks+cab) are interactive. secondly, a lot of uber-expensive cabinet talk is just mythology. but, i do think you're right. i have heard 75's sound OK in other cabs, but I've always hated them in Marshalls. on the other hand, I've heard Marshalls that sound amazing with speakers other than 75's.

Archived