Stage board urgent!

MaNdU

• Members

:)I have $1400 for a new board, and i want a board that last some years without me trying to sale it for some other new gears. From year 2000 untill now i have bought and sale some keys in the following orther :

Qs6.1, XP30, motif classic, kurzweill km61, korg tr61.

I mainly use a p90 at church that i buy but dont own. Im looking for some boards similar but with a bit more sounds to work than the p90. So my toughts are : rd300gx, a sp3, kawai mp5, electro2(have heard pianosare kind of weak) or cp33. Have u try any of this and tell my any sugestions on those? are the cp33 way better than a p90!

I preffer a lighter smaller synth 61 or 76keys but right now i cant find any descent synth action keyboard that i like at the 1400 price. m50 seems to fragile, mo6 motif es sounds getting old, rolands junos with the red and blue lines oufhh! PC361, motif xs, korg m3 and fantG r over my range , And i think stage pianos is the only descent instruments in betwen the $1000 and

$2000 range.

Here in Puerto Rico i cant test almost any myself so ur sugestion is very imprtant to me, also i only buy new products and i want something that get me hooked at lest 6 7 years with it or more! sorry for all the:blah: but i have to get al this out of my head.:cry:

• Members

Well I would recommend either (or both) of the 2 keyboards in my sig but unfortunately one has the red and blue lines and the other is completely red!

so wich acoustic pianos u use mainly, the ones in the Nord or in the Stage?

• Members

i want to order the board this monday and i havnt decide in wich board to get yet! :confused: at first i expected to get a great all around board for $1000.00 like before when i bought my xp30 with graeat keys and lots of sound when they realese it. Now the new boards seem to be cutt down in lots of aspects, only the high priced stuff r descent enough for real musicians.

It seems there r no new descent boards below $1000.00 considering computers and electronics are getting alot cheaper those days.

So i need the best i can get for $1400.00 new:mad:

• Members

Korg M50-73 key. Best synth in your price range and you get an extra octave so you can split the keyboard easier than if you have a 61 key.

-Mc

Don't do this. The M50 is better for electronic music. The piano and organ sounds aren't great.

I would recommend a Nord Electro 2 or 3. It also has much better non-weighted key action than the M50.

• Members

Sorry pal, but organs on ANY newer Korg are great. Even those on AI2 synths were cool enough, on newer ones Korg just beefed the leslie sim and they just sound better. CX3 is a good Hammond emulation, so Korg knows how to do it.

And who says you can't tweak the piano sounds to fit more to your needs? Trust me, M50 has it all inside not only for electronic music, it can do all sorts of styles. Don't think in a limited way, M50 is currently the best bang for the buck.

• Members

Don't do this. The M50 is better for electronic music. The piano and organ sounds aren't great.

WHAT?!?!

The organs and EP's are Korg's forte and the piano on the M50/M3 is great. I doubt they'd do a bad job on their flagship M3 and the M50 has the exact same sounds.

-Mc

• Members

WHAT?!?!

The organs and EP's are Korg's forte and the piano on the M50/M3 is great. I doubt they'd do a bad job on their flagship M3 and the M50 has the exact same sounds.

-Mc

do u find ur m50 to be well constructed? any lose corners or knobs. Sry but thats the impression im getting in some reviews!

• Members

do u find ur m50 to be well constructed? any lose corners or knobs. Sry but thats the impression im getting in some reviews!

I would safely say I know it's construction pretty well:

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/ab49/mjlarsen/m50/

I'd say it's pretty well constructed. NO loose knobs or corners. There are a LOT of screws holding it all together and there's no slop in the knobs or sliders. The entire thing is metal except the bottom/sides (which is a single piece). My only complaint about the M50 was the external power supply but I mounted that inside so my issue has been resolved (see above pics for the entire transformation).

For me, the M50 is a perfect gigging keyboard. I know a few pros that use it live as well and they also rave about it. I'm very glad I bought it.

-Mc

• Members

so wich acoustic pianos u use mainly, the ones in the Nord or in the Stage?

Use both, but the Nord pianos are particularly good at cutting through the mix for live work. And you can download new samples from Nord as they are released free of charge. Organs and EPs are the best around IMO, and you can load samples into the Electro3 too. Also love the semi weighted action on the Electros for organ, EPs and piano.

Roland pianos tend to be "darker" but there are so many on the Stage that you are bound to find something you like for. Main piano is the 88 sampled piano from the FantomX, but it also has versions of some of the sounds from the FantomG.

Also had a Korg M50-88 for a while. Pianos, organs etc. are all very good but I prefer the "Roland" sound and also have expansion cards which will fit the Stage, so I find the Stage (has mic input for vocals) and E3 a great gigging rig.

As always it's subjective and you really need to try all these boards before you buy. If you can't, do some research on YouTube etc. Not ideal, but in spite of some very knowledgeable people on this forum, you are always going to get biased views from all of us. It's you who has to live with your choice in the end. Good Luck.

• Members

:)I have $1400 for a new board, and i want a board that last some years without me trying to sale it for some other new gears. From year 2000 untill now i have bought and sale some keys in the following orther :

Qs6.1, XP30, motif classic, kurzweill km61, korg tr61.

I mainly use a p90 at church that i buy but dont own. Im looking for some boards similar but with a bit more sounds to work than the p90. So my toughts are : rd300gx, a sp3, kawai mp5, electro2(have heard pianosare kind of weak) or cp33. Have u try any of this and tell my any sugestions on those? are the cp33 way better than a p90!

I preffer a lighter smaller synth 61 or 76keys but right now i cant find any descent synth action keyboard that i like at the 1400 price. m50 seems to fragile, mo6 motif es sounds getting old, rolands junos with the red and blue lines oufhh! PC361, motif xs, korg m3 and fantG r over my range , And i think stage pianos is the only descent instruments in betwen the $1000 and

$2000 range.

Here in Puerto Rico i cant test almost any myself so ur sugestion is very imprtant to me, also i only buy new products and i want something that get me hooked at lest 6 7 years with it or more! sorry for all the:blah: but i have to get al this out of my head.
:cry:

I have a RD300sx and have played the GX. If i was buying today and could not find a used SX ,, i would go with the GX.

• Members

My only complaint about the M50 was the external power supply but I mounted that inside so my issue has been resolved (see above pics for the entire transformation).

Wow, amazing! You could post a thread with more text description for those wanting to do the same. This is great :)

:wave:

• Members

But doesn't it:

a. invalidate the warranty?

b. transfer the heat from the power unit to inside the keyboard?

invalidate the warranty, um... yah. Probably. :) But my guess is if you have a problem not related to the mod they will still take care of it. Some may not even know it wasn't supposed to be that way. You'd be surprised how little they know about the gear hey work on.

heat - there's very little. The M3 has the exact same setup: external power supply mounted on the inside.

It's a pretty easy mod but since you're working with electricity, it's important that you're careful. But, that being said, the only difficult thing is cutting out the hole and that's only time consuming.

I'll post text soon. I wanted to get the pics up for those that have been waiting for me to finish. Then my main PC took a crap last night so I have to try to recover 500 gigs of stuff. :(

-Mc

• Members

I own the M3 and the M50 is just awesome. I also have the 73 key and it's the perfect gigging synth. Great sounds, light weight, easy to program... can't beat it. I love the synth-weighted keys. VERY fast.

Good luck...

-Mc

• Members

thnks for all the replys. Now i have my mind in the m50 73:thu: i really hate the blue and red roland lines.

Good to hear you've got a really valid reason for dismissing Roland's fine, sound-packed, value for money, solid as a rock, expandable performance keyboard ;)

Oh ... and, mic input, vocoder, full USB file transfer, USB stick file storage etc. etc. (none of these on the M50 ;))

• Members

Oh ... and, mic input, vocoder, full USB file transfer, USB stick file storage etc. etc. (none of these on the M50
;)
)

Mic input and vocoder: most hobbyists really don't need these, if he needed it anyway he would have dismissed the M50

USB file transfer: what would you really need to transfer?

USB Stick: M50 reads SD-cards, at least that doesn't stick out

• Members

Good to hear you've got a really valid reason for dismissing Roland's fine, sound-packed, value for money, solid as a rock, expandable performance keyboard
;)

Oh ... and, mic input, vocoder, full USB file transfer, USB stick file storage etc. etc. (none of these on the M50
;)
)

:rolleyes: Hmmm, good point . but i can't imagine buying a $1400 board that i really dislike. Maybe some one will find it atractive but for me it looks cheaper with those "retro" lines :facepalm: Also i have tryied to make myself like the Juno stage but i just Can't.

• Members

Good to hear you've got a really valid reason for dismissing Roland's fine, sound-packed, value for money, solid as a rock, expandable performance keyboard
;)

the only place I've heard that was from their product brochures. I wasn't too impressed by 'em.

-Mc

Archived