is A Motif XS the right unit for me?

damo129

• Members

There is three possible ways in this scenario (talking about calling "overrated" to a product, artist, sound, etc):

Scenario/situation:
"1000 persons say "this keyboard, artist, album, etc is good" and 100 say they are wrong".
. There are three possibilities:

1-the 1000 persons group is all wrong, which could be possible (what most of the people say is not necessarily the truth, this is a logic scenario), and, on the other hand, the 100 persons (the minority) is right.

2- The 100 persons group is wrong and the fact that 1000 persons say at the same time that an "X" keyboard, artist, or any product is good is because it really is a good product, artist, etc.

3- Both are right and depends of the point of view.

As I said, I could be wrong for other people because it is subjective, specifically when we talk about the sounds of a keyboard, but in my opinion I am not a person enabled to affirm what is overrated and what is not overrated because my personal criteria not necessarily is higher or superior to the criteria of other person, it is only my personal opinion, nothing else.

On this particular scenario there are features that can be compared and confronted with our necessities (arppegiator, synthesis capabilities, number of presets, polyphony, etc.), but other are totally subjective like the sound quality.

There is people stating that, for example, the PC3 has outstanding orchestral sounds compared with the rest of competitors. I agree with that, but if you disagree, it is acceptable too, maybe I am wrong to your ears, but I am convinced that the PC3 is superior to the Motif and my opinion is not less or more valid than yours.

Said that and leaving this discussion, I believe and share your last comment:

"I think the Motif XS is probably in every store where the PC3x is and it should be easy enough to compare them yourself.

• Members

+1 on the S90XS. Quite apart from anything else it's around 6kg lighter than the XS8, which is quite a significant difference when hauling it around. It also adds a substantial piano sample to the XS soundset, as its predecessor, the S90ES, did to the Motif ES models.

If you're stretching yourself to afford a Motif, the S90ES can be found at very good prices due to the advent of the new model - if you can find any left. No UK stores appear to have any left, I do know that, but while they did they were offering the S90ES at around 1700UKP, compared with the S90XS which will be about 2800UKP when it arrives.

Quite a saving if you don't need the absolute latest, but as I say, it's whether you can find one now.

• Members

You like it better than the Kurzweil PC3X?

Yes, not even a contest! The PC3 sounded muffled and dull to me. The interface was not intuitive and looked like something out of 1992. I did not see the value for the asking price.

I know everyone RAVES about the "Synthesis capabilities", but it still has that sound set that's old as {censored} and it SOUNDS like it. You can take an ugly girl and apply all the makeup you want, you can only improve it so much!

The ONLY thing I will say positive for the PC3 is this: Judging by a video I saw, it has the best blues harmonica sound I've EVER heard on any synth. However, my use for that is rather...limited. I have played the PC3, but Harmonica wasn't on my criteria when I was shopping so that's why I cite the video.

• Members

Yes, not even a contest! The PC3 sounded muffled and dull to me. The interface was not intuitive and looked like something out of 1992. I did not see the value for the asking price.

I know everyone RAVES about the "Synthesis capabilities", but it still has that sound set that's old as {censored} and it SOUNDS like it. You can take an ugly girl and apply all the makeup you want, you can only improve it so much!

+1

• Members

So the people that like the PC3x are wrong about it or what? I don't own one, but I'm interested in it.

When you were working with the PC3, did you experiment with the V.A.S.T. architecture in conjunction with it's VA engine in programming new sounds? I've seen people doing this and it looks quite easy, but you say that it's not very intuitive, so how did you get around this? How long did you own it before sending it back as I've found that a good month is needed in just about any instrument to fully appreciate what something can and can't do and learn it's strengths and weaknesses. It sounds like you took a long time evaluating it because you seem so passionate about it.

I mean, there has to be a good reason why some people rave about it. Or is it they just don't know what they're doing?

• Members

So the people that like the PC3x are wrong about it or what? I don't own one, but I'm interested in it.

When you were working with the PC3, did you experiment with the V.A.S.T. architecture in conjunction with it's VA engine in programming new sounds? I've seen people doing this and it looks quite easy, but you say that it's not very intuitive, so how did you get around this? How long did you own it before sending it back as I've found that a good month is needed in just about any instrument to fully appreciate what something can and can't do and learn it's strengths and weaknesses. It sounds like you took a long time evaluating it because you seem so passionate about it.

I mean, there has to be a good reason why some people rave about it. Or is it they just don't know what they're doing?

No one's "Wrong" about it. Different strokes. Though I will say I've been doing this a long time. Long enough that I played the orignal Kurzweil boards when this sample set was NEW!

Regarding the VA, I didn't bother because what I heard playing wasn't worth digging in to be honest. I don't wanna work that hard to get great sounds. That's the sound designer's job as Kurz. I can do it, but I don't have the time these days. If they did a {censored}ty job, then guess what? Loss of sale!

This opinion was a result of a direct comparison at the store for about 4 hours. Plenty of time for a basic assessment IMO. If you've been doing this long enough you don't need a MONTH to tell if something SOUNDS good. Either it does or it doesn't! Taking a "Month" to see if something sounds good is time spent recovering from buyer's remorse in an effort to convince yourself that it DOES sound good IMO.

I had the cash in hand and walked away from the IMO overhyped PC3.

• Members

No one's "Wrong" about it. Different strokes.

Well said. And that's why we are lucky to have some choice between Kurzweil, Roland, Yamaha, Korg, etc. It's all in the ears of the beholder and everyone has different tastes sonically.

I am looking forward to comparing the big 4 again when I start shopping for new axes. The only one I am not very impressed with is the Roland. I really love the Yamaha, Kurz, and am quite impressed now with the Korg M3. Fun fun!!

• Members

If you don't mind used, another suggestion, a Fantom X6/7/8. Was Roland's top of the line Workstation until the "G" came out last year.

SRX boards are also available 2nd hand to expand your palette, it has a great sampler if you want to take sound from other gear (like your Technics) and has a performance mode for live. I think the pianos and organs are very good.

People will argue that the pianos are better on this and organs better on that, and I won't disagree that the Roland's aren't the best, but this isn't for isolation playing in a studio. When you're "in the mix" with a band going through a PA, it kind of becomes a moot point, this synth sounds more than good enough
;)

But the main kicker is that these will cost you less than half, 2nd hand, than a 2nd hand equivalent XS or an M3 and a lot less than new. Buy an ABS case for touring and you'll still have hundreds left.

Yeah I have a Fantom X6 and find it to be a very good keyboard especially for live performances. You can have ready beforehand a preset all of the patches that you wish to play on stage. It costs half the price of a Yamaha Motif XS. I would recommend the SKB case if you go hauling it around to avoid any damage in transit. :thu:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry it's been so long since I've been back. to brign you up to date, I played an XS6 at a nusic store in the city, and loved it. I have since purchased an XS7 on Ebay in Japan which has made it half the price as it would be here. now I'm just waiting for it to arrive.

I think the Motif is going to be a great asset to my band and me as a muso and I can't wait to get it!!!

now for a hard case and a new stand!

• Members

It is anti-kitty claw film. I don't allow my kitties on my keyboards. My office is closed off when I am in here and they have been discouraged enough to know not to try to get up there anymore.

I very quickly noticed the M3 + XS combo. Do you find they play together nicely? I have been using an mLan board in my XS6 and am fining it constraining now. The mLan drivers to not like to play nice and allow themselves to be turned on at the same time as other ASIO drivers, even if I am using only one.

Archived