V-Synth vs. M3 for sampling

Karma1

• Members

In the past few months I've acquired a used Roland V-Synth (not GT) and a Korg M3-M. I'm into programming synths, but haven't gotten into sampling very much. I'd like to start exploring it more and was wondering which one would be better to start with and tackle the learning curve on. I know that the V-Synth is known for it's ability to mangle samples in exotic ways which is cool since I do ambient/ electronica/new age music and am into creating atmospheric and ethereal sounds. But the M3 is my workstation and is where my basic tracks will be created.

I've got a bunch of great modules (Wavestation, FS1R, Morpheus, etc) that I want to layer and make samples of, as well as some sample CD's. So, any recommendations on which to start with, advantages/disadvantages of one or the other, etc? User friendliness would be a big consideration.

• Members

V-synth for one shot sounds that you don't care if they sound accurate as you go up or down the keyboard or that you want to mangle the heck out of or experiment with.

M3 for traditional sampling duties.

So depends on what exactly your goals are. If your trying to create new sounds use the v-synth, if your trying to free up your other gear so you can use it to create more tracks use the M3.

Archived