I'm feeling tempted..Marshall dsl50 for a silverface twin

thesinner66

• Members

Not exactly sure on the year of the twin. And speaking of which, is there any year to avoid w/ the fender twins from the 70's?

I just don't use the DSL50 as much...And I'd like to have a good tube combo around. I just don't know...what to do...with myself.

Opinions overall of the silverface twins?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hey.. I'm sorry for bringing up the "old" thread but i really need an answer..
I'm considering buying a twin from the 70's, it's got master volume(100 w)

And I read somewhere on the forum that the Twins with mastervolume sucks.. why is that??

Best Regards From Denmark

• Members

I own a mastervolume sf twin from '74. I just turn the master volume all the way up
so I'm just using the channel volume and my guitar volume. I find silverface amps have tons of clean power... tons of headroom. saying that, I find it's pretty much Identical to the blackface.. (except for the cosmetics and the solid-state rectifier, but that's easily modified. The infamous cbs "Improvements" didn't really occur till the later 70's. (High-power twins and all that stuff) The master volume doesn't do much to my tone. If you are bugged by it, it's really easy to bypass it and take the pot out . My '74 takes effects extremely well. seems to sound better than my other amps when it comes to using overdrive pedals, fuzz... I think with all the hype for blackface amps the silverfaces are underrated. They were designed to have more clean power than the blackface amps. Yet the natural tube saturation sounds amazing when cranked up. Plus the reverb and tremolo effects can't be beat. If it's in good condition with good speakers and the price is right, buy it! I would probably also avoid the supertwins, the red-knob twins and the evil twins.

• Members

I pretty much like any of the 80 watt versions. when the bounced up to 100 and then 120 watts they did something funky with circuit that made the highs sound shrill (to my ears anyway). I figure an early 70s twin is an fair trade for a DSL 50 value wise.

• Members

Originally posted by redhouseonfire

I own a mastervolume sf twin from '74. I just turn the master volume all the way up

so I'm just using the channel volume and my guitar volume. I find silverface amps have tons of clean power... tons of headroom. saying that, I find it's pretty much Identical to the blackface.. (except for the cosmetics and the solid-state rectifier, but that's easily modified. The infamous cbs "Improvements" didn't really occur till the later 70's. (High-power twins and all that stuff) The master volume doesn't do much to my tone. If you are bugged by it, it's really easy to bypass it and take the pot out . My '74 takes effects extremely well. seems to sound better than my other amps when it comes to using overdrive pedals, fuzz... I think with all the hype for blackface amps the silverfaces are underrated. They were designed to have more clean power than the blackface amps. Yet the natural tube saturation sounds amazing when cranked up. Plus the reverb and tremolo effects can't be beat. If it's in good condition with good speakers and the price is right, buy it! I would probably also avoid the supertwins, the red-knob twins and the evil twins.

I guess I didn't look at all of the postings. I looked at the photo... It's in better condition than mine and it has a foot switch! that sweetens the deal.

• Members

Originally posted by Ripfence

I pretty much like any of the 80 watt versions. when the bounced up to 100 and then 120 watts they did something funky with circuit that made the highs sound shrill (to my ears anyway). I figure an early 70s twin is an fair trade for a DSL 50 value wise.

That's what I thought about any of the above-100 watt versions-- very trebly. My 100 watt version is very bright, but I like that for the style of music I play. I always turn off the bright switch. It can also have lots of bass I keepit on 2-3 but I have bassy pickups. (srv style).

• Members

Originally posted by thesinner66

Not exactly sure on the year of the twin. And speaking of which, is there any year to avoid w/ the fender twins from the 70's?

I just don't use the DSL50 as much...And I'd like to have a good tube combo around. I just don't know...what to do...with myself.

Opinions overall of the silverface twins?

Question: Is the master volume a push/pull switch? that might help with dating it.

• Members

you'd be trading down if its not a 68' Id say. The 68's are 1st year Silverface, and only year for Drip edge on the twins. Make sure it has been gone through. If not, it'll need caps and that will cost you. Id sell your head, and buy a nice twin that you want. Itll give you better choice. Thanks my opinion.

• Members

So you suggest I buy it?
This one is a lot cheaper than the others on the vintage market here in denmark, so the price is right! (i guess)

I will be able to reduce it to 50 W by pulling 2 powertubes right?
What pedals would you suggest me (besides wah and tuner), I play everything from bluesy stuff (Mayer, Srv etc) to rock (ac/dc, Lenny kravitz, jimi etc) to funk and pop.. Just really versatile

Regards, Rasmus

• Members

Originally posted by Ramsus

So you suggest I buy it?

This one is a lot cheaper than the others on the vintage market here in denmark, so the price is right! (i guess)

I will be able to reduce it to 50 W by pulling 2 powertubes right?

What pedals would you suggest me (besides wah and tuner), I play everything from bluesy stuff (Mayer, Srv etc) to rock (ac/dc, Lenny kravitz, jimi etc) to funk and pop.. Just really versatile

Regards, Rasmus

pulling tubes on those is pointless. the Twin is designed to be a clean amp, pulling two tubes isn't really going to make it break up any sooner (for all practical purposes), and will just wear your tubes faster.

as far as putting some dirt in your signal path, I gotta recommend the RAT for those old Fender combos. sooo nice. the SD-1 is OK as well.

• Members

tubes are replacable, so are caps, etc., and eventually all of those things will need to be replaced. you already said it's priced much lower than most other Twins in Denmark, so chances are even if it needs new tubes or caps you're not going to get the guy to go any lower.

research what speakers came with those 100 watt Twins (you'll have to do the digging yourself, i doubt anyone knows here offhand). make sure the ones in the Twin you're buying are original. if they're not, what are they? are they better than the originals? worse? basic {censored} like that. research your product before you buy.

• Members

Good speakers depends on what sounds good, and good sound is a personal matter. I'm not a vintage freak, i just wan't a nice sounding amp.
So i just think i'm gonna buy it if i like it, it's darn cheap compared to most Twins over here.

Thanks for your replies--

Regards Rasmus

• Members

I have a twin reverb like that. '74, master vol. Still happy with it, but I'm more into dirty sounds lately, and the twin's obvioulsy made for cleans.

Used to have the orange JBL's, but they broke, so I replaced 'em with a pair of Jensen C12N's.

Compaired em with a whole bunch of other speakers before I decided on the C12N's. Verrrrry nice sounding speakers impo, especially for the money.

• Members

And the cleans are nice? I'm going to check it out in a week or so...
But it shouldn't be hard to get some dirt out of it, using a pedal for instance??

Can you tell me other interesting things about it?

Regards, Rasmus

• Members

The cleans are verry nice impo, and my rat works fine for the dirty sounds. It's a matter of tase I guess, but as far as distortion goes, I personally prefer the sound of an overdriven marshall.

A twin won't cut it in a raw hardcore band or whatever, but anything bluesy, indierock-is, or anything else that doesn't require lots of gain...Should sound good through a twin reverb and a decent pedal.

T.

• Members

Nice!

I'm thinking about buying a Keeley RAT and a Keeley blues driver, they ought to work nicely for (classic) rock, blues & pop don't you think?
Can you compare the cleans to another amp?
Or perhaps a tune where it's very distinctive and easy to hear?
Or maybe you even have some soundclips of you and your twin?

Regards, Rasmus

• Members

Sorry dude, don't have any clips.
There's this indie rock band called "karate", check out "the bed is in the ocean" or "unsolved". Their best two records impo. The guy uses a klon centaur, wich is a very cool pedal, but probably not the best bang-for-the buck.

Maybe not the best reference for the everage twin reverb fan though. Not a typical 'twin reverb' sound I mean. I guess it'd help if you're into that kind of em...jazzy indie rock.
It's the only records I can think of that were recorded with this amp though, sorry.

Those pedals you mensioned should work fine. Don't have any experience with the Leeley mods, but I read nothing but good things about em.

The only amp I can compaire it to is a reissue bf twin reverb. Impo, the ri sounds a bit darker and less 'tight' or whatever. Maybe a bit more bottom end, but less defined sparkly mids. Don't know, I'm not good at describing sounds.

Anyway, good luck.

Archived