Lead brass sound on The Cars' "I'm not the one" ?

gilwe

• Members

Hey there. I did a little reading and apparently he used a Korg MiniKorg in addition to some of his other "bigger" polys. After listening to that synth brass part it does have a kind of "reedy", thinner monosynth synth timbre.

It's hard to hear as it seems set back in the mix a bit. Sounds like it could be the MiniKorg.

On a more personal note, that song was great because it didn't have the same continous air play the main hits had and that really made it special because it was as good if not better than the others. It used to be one of my favorite Cars songs when I was back in middle school and at that time I was the drummer in a band whose keyboard player worshipped the Cars. Brings back memories for sure!

• Members

Wow, it does sound awesome in this video ! It seems these early 70s sounded really fat. The Minikorg reminds me of a SH2000 I has a while ago, it was one of the fattest and warmest I've heard. Too bad it had way too many issues to deal with to get it in order...

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Some Web hunting shows Greg Hawkes used the following (analog) synths: Univox Minikorg 700, ARP Omni, Jupiter-8 and Memorymoog (on Heartbeat City), and of course the Prophet-5.

Some digital synths he used included the Casio CZ-101 and DX7, of course on later albums than "Shake It Up." :)

• Members

Some Web hunting shows Greg Hawkes used the following (analog) synths: Univox Minikorg 700, ARP Omni, Jupiter-8 and Memorymoog (on Heartbeat City), and of course the Prophet-5.

Some digital synths he used included the Casio CZ-101 and DX7, of course on later albums than "Shake It Up."
:)

Hawkes was also using a Jupiter-4 and VP-330 in the early eighties, eg on Panorama and Shake It Up. Afaik the Memorymoog was only used on the Heartbeat city tour, not on the album.

The other gear used on Heartbeat City included a Roland Jupiter-8 (main synth), PPG Wave 2.2, Fairlight CMI (replaced with two Synclaviers for the tour), Yamaha grand piano, Roland MC-4 micro composer, Linn drum, TR-808 and CR-78 and possibly Moog source.

I'm not sure whether the DX-7, Prophet and the small Casio's (M-10 and MT-30) made it onto the album. I have a keyboard magazine interview from late '83 (about halfway through the recording sessions) but it isn't mentioned if any of those was used (the DX-7 isn't even mentioned).

Most of the synth parts on Hawkes' solo album "Niagara Falls" (1983) were done on the Jup-8 and Prophet 5 with some basslines laid down on a TB-303.

As for the lead sound on "I'm not the one", I believe it's the Mini-korg 700 but am not sure.

• Members

So that's a Minikorg - wow! I don't think I've ever really heard one. I've always thought that the brass sound was a Prophet 5.

BTW, I just saw Greg Hawkes' Niagra Falls at a used record store last week. I'll drop by tonight after work and pick it up if it's still there and isn't sratched up.

• Members

BTW, I just saw Greg Hawkes' Niagra Falls at a used record store last week. I'll drop by tonight after work and pick it up if it's still there and isn't sratched up.

I do recommend you to buy that one if you get a chance, I don't think you'll

be disappointed. It's a lot more "synthy" than any of the Cars' albums, and the style is somewhat reminiscent of Kraftwerk (Hawkes was very into them at the time).

• Members
The other gear used on
Heartbeat City
included... I'm not sure whether the ... Prophet ... made it onto the album.

"Hello Again" has the same sync sound in it as "Let's Go", so that was probably the Prophet, unless he did it on something else like the JP-8.

• Members

I do recommend you to buy that one if you get a chance, I don't think you'll

be disappointed. It's a lot more "synthy" than any of the Cars' albums, and the style is somewhat reminiscent of Kraftwerk (Hawkes was very into them at the time).

Got it tonight - $3, no scratches. Just finished listening to the first side. I liked Ants in Your Pants and Block Party.

There's one on ebay for $59! Greg Hawkes, Niagra Falls

• Members

The sync sound on "Hello Again" might actually be a JP8, as Hawkes said in an interview someplace it had a factory patch mimmicking his original P5 sound.

He's quite the musician. He played sax in places on the Cars stuff, rhythm guitar on at least one tune that was part of the Cars live set but never released on album, and in recent years did an album of Beatles covers on ukelele.

• Members

OT, but what I want to know is how many 80's songs used the cliche "round and round" repeatedly...

The Cars -- I'm not the one

Ratt -- Round and round

Dead or Alive -- You spin me around baby

Rush -- Territories

Aerosmith -- Round and round

Spandau Ballet -- Round and round

The 80's just seemed like one big hodgepodge of cliches at the time. But I did/do really like The Cars.

• Members

Definitely TR-808 for the drums. Add a very short (1sec or less room verb). I had good success replicating the lead sound with Arturia MiniMoog V. I did a little clone sequence of the solo section of this song that just loops because I love playing this solo over and over and over again (it seems to get annoying to everyone but me). I got quite close IMO using TR-808 samples, Arturia Moog Modular for the bass, Arturia CS-80V for the square tone, G-Media Oddity for the resonant saw sound, Arturia CS-80V for the pad and Arturia MiniMoog V for the lead. And the loop goes round and round...

I can't think of other round and round songs. That's a great Spandau Ballet song though!

Archived