Is the Juno-60 as amazing as I think it is?

• Members

A novation nova or a yamaha AN1-X (or CS6X with AN card) might be worth looking for. They'll likely give you the sounds you're after with a little bit of work (intuitive, easy to understand interfaces on both by the way) and are versatile enough to grow with, without being weighed down by any kind of feature bloat, so they're in kind of a happy medium area. At some point you might want to use your synthesizer for something more then replicating the sounds of your favorite band and either of these will give you plenty of elbow room in that arena. You could likely pick any of these synths up used for sub $400.

(The nova keyboard might be a bit more expensive, though the module regularly goes for around $300.)

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know this thread is a bit old at this point, but I thought I'd chime in since I was in the EXACT same position as you, Fine Young Fool.

I had a Korg R3. Liked it, didn't love it. Didn't use a ton of the features and hated programming it. It was terrible to use in practices trying to adapt.

Sold it, bought a Roland Juno 60. The 60 is exactly what I needed. Really simple to use, fun and easy to program, sounds like an actual "instrument", brings cohesiveness to your set, and the limitations really can be used to your advantage.

It's the old Jack White strategy of "how can I use what I have to the best of my ability?" To me, the Juno is the perfect synth for that.

For the record, before I had the r3, I had a Nord Lead, which I didn't really like, despite it being more modern. For one, it has some weird limitations that I couldn't get past, like you have to scroll through the patches, you can't just jump to the one you want. However, it's usually quite a bit more expensive that a Juno anyway.

I say go for it and don't look back. that's what I did.

• Members

The 60 holds some sentimental value for me as it was the first synth I actually ever saw (and I bought it on the spot) back in 1985. However, by the of 1986 I was really feeling the limits and went over the JX8P. A much better keyboard all round though the Juno does its own thing very well I think.

As an aside I have a Roland JX10 and PG800 coming in the next weeks and can't wait to get back into that sound despite having all manner of Moogs, Oberheims and modern synths here. I know exactly what to expect... very fat Go West brass sounds et al.. but I also know what else its capable of even beyond my Matrix 12.

• Members

One little trick I used when I owned a 60, was to send a click track into the arpegiator clock input. You can use that to sync up to your sequencer. Each click steps the arp another step. Sort of fun..

So much fun, that I farted together these two demos in an hour after getting my 60:

http://soundcloud.com/matti-juhana/roland-juno-60-demo-1

http://soundcloud.com/matti-juhana/roland-juno-60-demo-2

The arp clocking on the Juno works much better (=tighter) than on my Polysix, though it makes the triggering a bit weird and random.

- CM

• Members

Never owned a Juno60 or Poly Six. My first Keyboard was a Korg MonoPoly, which I bought used but in mint condition for $300.00. My second board was a Yamaha DX21 bought on credit, then a POLY800 which I bought as a close out floor model. Sold the MonoPoly to by an Ultimate support A Frame. I wanted to look like the players on MTV videos. So stupid.

If I had had more stable income, I would have bought the JX-3P with the programer and a Juno 106. 2 Osc's for the JX and still programmable. However, now that I know a little more now, I would buy a Poly Six, just warmer and more versatile I think.

• Members

Being primarily a guitar player I can and sometimes do spend several thousand dollars on guitars and amplifiers. But in the past couple years I have started experimenting with and learning how to play synthesizers. My first which I still have and use was a Korg R3. I chose it simply because it was in my price range and it seemed to have enough sounds and features on it that it would keep me busy. And it does, at least for my needs at the present time. I am not skilled enough on synthesizers yet to make a leap to a Prophet or a Minimoog when I could better use that money on a nice old guitar. But I did get a second synthesizer. And it cost less than an R3. It is a Juno-6. It is not as versatile as the R3. But it does sound good. And I have a lot of fun with it. I trigger it with an Acidlab Miami drum machine.

• Members

The reason I am thinking SH-201 is because it has plenty of EGs, LFOs, Oscillators and that. And it was designed to replicate 80s synths, which are the kinds of sounds I am mainly going for anyway.

The R3 has all these things already and can do 80's synth sounds spot on, you just have to actually spend a lot of time digging through the menus to program your sounds from scratch. The R3 is not good introduction to that sort of thing due to the menu diving, so SH-201 might be better if you don't know synthesis very well. On paper, all the synthesis is there on both the SH-201 and R3 to replicate the Juno fairly good.

Archived