Which Friggin amp should I get??!?!

dorme1

• Members

Hep me out! here's the deal: I have a fender hot rod deville 4x10 and haven't played it in over 2 years-why? cause it's not fun to play and doesn't inspire me at all.

I don't like the fact that it's buzzy, I don't like the fact it has NO distortion and well I just don't like it so I'm going to sell it and take the money and buy something else-maybe add 100 bucks so my budget is going to be 400ish. I went to GC today and played with a Vox ad30VT which I kinda liked but am afraid of due to all of the quality problems I've read about. I also played with the tonelab but the whole time it sounded "muffled" I also played with a line 6 spider 2 (ducks and runs for cover) which I kinda liked too, though didn't feel as "lively" as the Vox. This will be used almost exclusively for practicing and home recording with about a .1% chance of playing out some time in the future. I'd love to get some cool sounding prongish/helmet like sounds out of it, then again I like playing with the reverb and noodling out some surfy guitar songs...with those 2 sounds in mind, can some people recommend me something? I could give a {censored} less if it's tube, solid state, modeling, whatever, just so long as it sounds good and is fun to play...I am leaning toward the Vox as of right now...thanks!

• Members

dorm i have the older Vox 120 head (well not older but original -- NOT the NEW silver grillz) and it just SMOOOOOKES! I also had the 60 watt combo and never had 1 problem!

Perhaps a used one is a thought? Same price range u are looking!

PS -- Stay away from the Spider series if possible..

• Members

Originally posted by dorme1

Hep me out! here's the deal: I have a fender hot rod deville 4x10 and haven't played it in over 2 years-why? cause it's not fun to play and doesn't inspire me at all.

I don't like the fact that it's buzzy, I don't like the fact it has NO distortion and well I just don't like it so I'm going to sell it and take the money and buy something else-maybe add 100 bucks so my budget is going to be 400ish. I went to GC today and played with a Vox ad30VT which I kinda liked but am afraid of due to all of the quality problems I've read about. I also played with the tonelab but the whole time it sounded "muffled" I also played with a line 6 spider 2 (ducks and runs for cover) which I kinda liked too, though didn't feel as "lively" as the Vox. This will be used almost exclusively for practicing and home recording with about a .1% chance of playing out some time in the future. I'd love to get some cool sounding prongish/helmet like sounds out of it, then again I like playing with the reverb and noodling out some surfy guitar songs...with those 2 sounds in mind, can some people recommend me something? I could give a {censored} less if it's tube, solid state, modeling, whatever, just so long as it sounds good and is fun to play...I am leaning toward the Vox as of right now...thanks!

Dorme,

I think I could have posted this thread -and I may still. I too, can't seem to find the right amp. I have two at the moment, a Marshal MG30DFX which I am getting rid of. Never sound authentic. So I decided to get a tube amp, since everyone is nuts about tube amps. I bought one of the smallest, but higher quality ones, the Crate V8 Palomino, and I have to say, I am completely underwhelmed. Clean, it is ok, but anything resembling overdrive or distortion sounds poor. The speaker seems to not be able to handle it (and it is a 10" Celestion), but it is just not right for me. Plus the line out does nothing. Looks great though.

The Vox you mention, was one of my earlier choices. Seemed too good to be true, but now I want to listen to one, and see for myself.

What about this amp? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Amps?sku=487823 I can't find this on Crate's own website, and I went to a local dealer today, and he had no idea either (I also think he was tired of me asking questions). Looks like a decent amp. I wish I could hear it first. Good reviews on this site. Maybe a MF exclusive?

Like you, I just want this for home, so a lot of volume is not necessary. I want to be able to get a both a driven SRV or Kenny Wayne Sheppard sound, as well as some heavier tones, like Deftones, GNR, Pearl Jam, Tool, etc. And I want some nice clean tones too. In other words, I want it all.

I had a Peavey before, and it did pretty well, but I want something different. But the Valveking has me intrigued as well. Not a lot out there under $400 or $500 that does what we want. Let me know when you find something!

• Members

Originally posted by rhino bucket

traynor blue whatever

Traynor 50 Blue kicks. Wont fall apart on you either.

For less than $400 you can get the Vox AD50VT. Mine is a workhorse, not one glitch at all, and gotta love that tone! I got rid of a Line 6 AX2-212 and used the $$$$$$ to buy the Vox. Sounds that used to take me 2 hours on the Line 6 now take me 2 minutes on the Vox.

• Members

I highly recommend the Vox AD30VT. It will do all the sounds you like, just make sure the one you get is in good shape. I would definitely recommend tightening the nut around the input connector. I never had an problems with mine and it sounded good. There is a bit of a trick to learning how to dial each model, but it's not hard and I would highly recommend reading the manual.

Check here for some clips and info: http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/valvetronix/ad15vtad30vt.htm

• Members

you may be onto something with that rfx65! I'm always hesitant to take reviews too seriously since the people are usually going to gush because they just dropped some money on something. Though between MF reviews and the ones on here I'm hopeful. I'll go back to GC tomorrow and see if they have one, thanks for the heads up! I looked at the valvekings and they look interesting, I just want an amp I'll have some fun with, and it's NOT the deville. I just went to my basement to be sure to mess with it....yep, still does nothing for me. Thanks again, I'll try to keep you updated if the local GC has one.

• Members

Originally posted by soundchaser59

Traynor 50 Blue kicks. Wont fall apart on you either.

For less than $400 you can get the Vox AD50VT. Mine is a workhorse, not one glitch at all, and gotta love that tone! I got rid of a Line 6 AX2-212 and used the $$$$$$ to buy the Vox. Sounds that used to take me 2 hours on the Line 6 now take me 2 minutes on the Vox.

The Vox's are definitely in the running soundwise, it's just that whole build quality thing...no problems with yours yet?

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

I highly recommend the Vox AD30VT. It will do all the sounds you like, just make sure the one you get is in good shape. I would definitely recommend tightening the nut around the input connector. I never had an problems with mine and it sounded good. There is a bit of a trick to learning how to dial each model, but it's not hard and I would highly recommend reading the manual.

Check here for some clips and info:

I played one today, I did like the way it played-felt much more lively than the spider. It's funny you should say that about the input nut, I read a lot about it so as soon as the salesmen left (1st time I've had a good experience in GC) I wiggled it and sure as {censored} it was really loose, I tightened it back up. After I check out this Crate thing I'll play the Vox's some more...can you get a good heavy distortion out of it? or would pedal do the trick? (looking for prong/helmet/clutch sound occasionally)

• Members
Originally posted by dorme1

I played one today, I did like the way it played-felt much more lively than the spider. It's funny you should say that about the input nut, I read a lot about it so as soon as the salesmen left (1st time I've had a good experience in GC) I wiggled it and sure as {censored} it was really loose, I tightened it back up. After I check out this Crate thing I'll play the Vox's some more...can you get a good heavy distortion out of it? or would pedal do the trick? (looking for prong/helmet/clutch sound occasionally)

Absolutely. Try out the US HI GAIN model (Soldano SLO 100) it's nice and tight and has a ton of gain. I didn't really care for the NU METAL (recto) model. If you like Brian May, dial up the AC30TB model crank the gain and master, but reduce the back panel power control for a reasonable volume and wail away. That's good stuff my friend.

Archived