Frusturated beginner seeking help

• Members

I got an R3 a while ago from a HCer here a while ago. It's a great synth, and probably has too many features, but I'm not complaining. Yet.

I have been able to build some of my own (fairly) usable sounds, mainly string pads and things like that ( i.e. Joy Division, BMSR, Portishead). However, I'm trying to learn about making other sounds by copying some of my favorites from music I listen to.

And damn, synthesis can be hard.

So I was wondering if maybe some of you more experienced players can help me figure out how to make a few of these sounds. It just seems like it might help me learn more about synthesis in general.

And I realize there are probably a hundred threads out there like this one. I am just lazy sometimes.

I have been trying to program the lead(?) sound from Daft Punks "Da Funk." It seems that it involves a modulation of the cutoff open and closed with an envelope generator, but I'm having a hard time getting the nuances down. Mainly the nasal, vocal qualities of it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z014I7FvDCo) I am also interested in the other sound. I don't know how to describe it. The short of disco "flash" sound, but I'm not sure if you can even make it with a synth.

The other sound I want to make is the "warbely" lead from the Justice song "Let There Be Light." I'm not sure what exactly gives it that quality, but I tried modding the cutoff/pitch with a sine lfo, and also having it open and close with an EG, but it doesn't seem to be working out. (

)

Sorry for the long post, and the amateurish nature of the question. I just thought maybe some of you more experienced synth heads would get a kick out of schooling me. And if you think help of another kind would be more appropriate, that's fine too.

Thanks.

• Members

You don't need a talkbox for the main lead of Da Funk sounds like an osc sync sound to me. For the other sound,which I am assuming is the bit at the end of Da Funk, it's a tb 303 a fairly simple sound but it's the sequencer's slides that give it it's character.

• Members

IMHO, once you get to know oscillator programming (pulse width, sync, tuning etc) and what ADSR settings work for what, the key to tweaking sounds is really in a few places: filter/ reso, filter envelope, effects and LFOs.

Theres plenty of tutorials that will teach you how to make brass, string and other type sounds that will work on any synth really and are a good place to start learning the basics. After that it's honestly just practice.

• Members

I know how all of the filters, egs and oscillators work (mostly) I just have a hard time visualizing how to get precisely the sound quality.

Like, I can tell when an envelope opens or closes the filter, but I am still not sure what oscillators are used and or/how they are synced and detuned.

But I am guessing these are things that can only be gained from experience.

Like the Justice sound. I can hear how it warbles that way, and I guessed that it was the cutoff and the pitch being slightly modulated by a sine lfo. I apply that, and it's close, but still not the right sound. It's things like that that I am not sure how to fine tune yet.

I find I just get frusturated and give up easily because of this.

• Members

the daft punk sound sounds like an arp (the synth, not arpeggio :)), thats actually a fairly typical sound for arps, but i think it'd be hard to replicate unless you're using a synth that has an arp modeled filter on it. if you like that sort of sound, you can try out gfroce oddity

http://www.gforcesoftware.com/ins_oddity.php

the justice one is really hard to say, it sounds like there is some sort of modulation going on there or processing. I'm not really sure..

just FYI, both those guys sampled allot of funk and disco so it may be worth reading up on old synths and programming them, but that's also the problem so to speak as well... allot of the older synths were one of a kind in one way or another, so the only way sound like that is learn some of the processing techniques they used or see if emulations / samples exist of synths they used, like the oddity.

• Members

i figured it was a talkbox too, but i dont know anything about it, thanx for jumping in.. :)

It's more of a learning thing than NEEDING those exact sounds.

that's what i was trying to say on that one. there's a certain timbre in there you won't be able to make simply because it's an artifact of the arp filter. if you play with oddity you'd see what i meant, but it's probably a saw wave with a slow attack and fast release.

Archived