Purchasing recommendations

• Members

All:

I am some-what new to the Keyboard/Synth world, but not new to Piano. I am looking to purchase a new keyboard, but there are so many choices I don't really know where to begin!

I was actually looking into the Yamaha M88. It seems to have quite a few features and the price isn't too bad either. I would like to keep my budget to around 1k....maybe a bit under or a bit over....

Anyone have any thoughts on the M88 or maybe another recommendation that is comparable?

Thanks.

• Members

do u mean the yamaha mm8?

what kind of music are u into? do u want to learn about sound synthesis? do u need a sequencer?

I am definitely into progressive metal/rock....bands like Dream Theater...Everygrey....

I was referring to the yamaha mm8. I was also looking at the Korg M50 as well.

I definitely want to be able to create/edit sounds and also do some sequencing. I know the Korg offers a 16 track sequencer. I plan to also us the board with a PC as well.

Is it true also that Yamaha's are known for complex operating systems? I do like the fact that Korg does offer a touch screen.

Thanks

• Members

Korg M50 is what I'd say if you want to do Evergrey type of stuff. Rikard loves to use Triton a lot! Besides, Korg has way better synths, pads and leads than Yamaha. It's great for atmospherics!

DT is also using a lot of Korg now (OASYS), you can get similar stuff (but not all) on M50. If you don't need a sampler, that is.

And, it's easier to use, because of the touchscreen. You would want 88 keys or what? Because M50-88 uses the same keybed as M3-88, which is very, very good.

• Members

Korg M50 is what I'd say if you want to do Evergrey type of stuff. Rikard loves to use Triton a lot! Besides, Korg has way better synths, pads and leads than Yamaha. It's great for atmospherics!

DT is also using a lot of Korg now (OASYS), you can get similar stuff (but not all) on M50. If you don't need a sampler, that is.

And, it's easier to use, because of the touchscreen. You would want 88 keys or what? Because M50-88 uses the same keybed as M3-88, which is very, very good.

Thanks for the advise. I am really leaning towards one of the Korgs. The M50-88 would be nice, but that really jacks the price up. What is a huge benefit of having the same keybed as the M3-88? I can probably swing the M50-73 price wise....

• Members

The M50-88 would be nice, but that really jacks the price up. What is a huge benefit of having the same keybed as the M3-88? I can probably swing the M50-73 price wise....

Just depends if you need weighted keys or not. If so, the M50-88 has fantastic weighted keys. One of the best weighted keybeds I've ever played. If you don't, I'd go with the M50-73.

I don't like weighted keybeds for anything but piano playing. The M50-88 keybed felt so good that I still wonder if I should have gotten it instead of the M50-73. Because I play a lot of organ stuff and fast leads, I needed the semi-weighted (synth action) and I'm very happy with it.

So if you need weighted - M50-88

Don't need weighted - M50-73.

You should play them both though just to make sure...

-Mc

Archived