Hotplate Question

MattACaster

• Members
Originally posted by MattACaster

Could I use a Hotplate as a load for an Ampeg SVT or would that damage something?

Does said SVT have a tube output stage? If so, and the impedance is matched then yes. If you have a SS head you likely don't need a load at all and you may be able to run the preamp out to record without the power section on.

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

Does said SVT have a tube output stage? If so, and the impedance is matched then yes. If you have a SS head you likely don't need a load at all and you may be able to run the preamp out to record without the power section on.

It's the SVT Classic, so yes it's tube. It's also the 4 ohm Hotplate and the SVT has a 4 ohm out. So it should work then?

• Members

It's the SVT Classic, so yes it's tube. It's also the 4 ohm Hotplate and the SVT has a 4 ohm out. So it should work then?

I see in the SVT Classic's spec's that it is rated for 300 W RMS output power. You'd actually need (2) 8 Ohm Hot Plates in parallel (4 Ohms total) for a safe load since they are rated to handle 185 W RMS maximum.

• Members

I see in the SVT Classic's spec's that it is rated for 300 W RMS output power. You'd actually need (2) 8 Ohm Hot Plates in parallel (4 Ohms total) for a safe load since they are rated to handle 185 W RMS maximum.

Thats what I was curious about. Would it be ok to use if I didn't crank the Ampeg?

Basically what I'm looking to do is put a load on the Ampeg so I don't have to have it hooked up to a cab when I'm recording. I'm not looking to crank it but just have it loud enough to get a direct signal from it.

• Members

Thats what I was curious about. Would it be ok to use if I didn't crank the Ampeg?

Basically what I'm looking to do is put a load on the Ampeg so I don't have to have it hooked up to a cab when I'm recording. I'm not looking to crank it but just have it loud enough to get a direct signal from it.

Yes, you could use the Hot Plate as a load as long as you don't crank the SVT. Are you deriving the line out from the Hot Plate?

BTW, some amps in standby have active preamp outs.

• Members

Yes, you could use the Hot Plate as a load as long as you don't crank the SVT. Are you deriving the line out from the Hot Plate?

BTW, some amps in standby have active preamp outs.

I would test both the SVTs and HotPlates line out and see which sounded better.

Archived