Defective Roland KC-150???

Ricky Chao

• Members

I just received my very own KC-150 today, I've played them before and have known them to be very rock solid. I plugged my keyboard in (Casio Privia PX-110), and the tone sounded just beautiful. However, I could get any of the dials past 10:00 before it started clipping constantly!! And the clipping is really Bad!!!

I've always known the reputation of the KC series to stand extremely strong, as i have had a good amount of experience with them myself before I ordered my own. So is this amplifier defective or was this product of bad quality to begin with?

• Members

The only outputs are headphone level. That is pretty hot. I would suggest that you turn down the output on the PX-110 substantially and turn up the level on the KC-150.

From the Casio PX-110 web site:

Headphones Stereo Mini Jacks x 2

Output Impedance: 170 ?

Output Voltage: 5.5V (RMS) MAX

Rick

• Members

I think I figured out what the problem is now that there was a good mention and attention to my headphone outputs(I was using a stereo 1/8" to a stereo 1/4" adapter) and I tested it using both an instrument cable and trs-trs cable.

So I tested it out with an ipod/computer to play through the KC-150 to see how loud it could get, and it could get massive loud! It was BEAUtiful!!

So there's definitely no problem with the amp or speaker.

So, the only problem could be that since its stereo headphone outputs, making it a balanced signal, I need to get the proper adapter (stereo to mono). I guess the only problem was that my adapter didn't properly ground the balanced signal to make it unbalanced; so when I ran it through the instrument cable or when it ran through the amp with trs cables, the unbalanced signal would be overloaded since it came from a balanced signal that wasn't properly grounded on the way over.

Is the concept that I currently have technically correct?

Because one thing is for sure, neither or the speaker and the amp is defective, they both work BEAUTIFULLY!!

.. . .wait, while I was typing this, I just realized, ipod/computer outputs are stereo headphone outputs as well! (DURRHHH!!) MY BADD!!! Man that was retarded, sorry!

so.. . .I'm stuck again, but for sure, problem is not in the amp or speaker of the 150.

Archived