Cool new pics of my synth rig...

Karma1

• Members

IMG_0166.jpg

Rack on left (from bottom) :

Roland JD-990, Kawai K5000R, Kawai K4R, Korg Wavestation SR, Emu Morpheus, Yamaha FS1R, Kawai 8 channel stereo mixer.

Keyboard stand:

Roland V-Synth

Korg M3-M, Kaoss Pad, Oberheim Cyclone, Kurzweil ExpressionMate

Korg Micro X, Boss SE70 & VF1 effects units

Not shown:

Kurzweil K2000R, Korg Karma, Novation X station (49), Mac G4 w/Rapture soft synth, ProTools, etc.

And another studio shot:

IMG_0172.jpg

• Members

Looks awesome. And confirms something I've noticed: the M3 module looks much better on its own than attached to the keyboard. Anyone else agree?

I knew as soon as they came out that I would get an M3, having been a Karma user for the last 7 years. I went back and forth between the module and the 61 key. And although it wasn't a major factor, I wasn't real excited about the look of the keyboard. Actually, it was more the color that I didn't care for. I would have liked if they made it in silver like the Triton, or just black.

Controlling the M3M with the V-Synth is a great combo, but I do have to say that the ergonomics of having the module mounted in the M3 keyboard is optimum. Unless you can have the module very close. I do a lot of tweaking and hands on editing on it and you want to have everything in close reach when working on it for hours. I've got it as ergonomically ok as I can get it and it's pretty good. But I can see that the keyboard would be a little better.

But whichever version, the M3 is an awesome synth and I'm really looking forward to using it a lot on my next CD.

• Members

Why keep the karma keyboard? Also I agree on the M3, it has to be controllable. Is there a reason you are not using the editor to control the M3?

Basically what I do is use the v-synth as a controller for the M3 and use the editor for programming it. If I need anything else I assign some knobs/buttons on a bitstream 3x.

• Members

Very nice rig! Got any recordings we can hear of what you can do with all that stuff?

There are a number of full length recordings on the music player here:

www.myspace.com/michaeldiamondmusic

Although the V-Synth and M3M are recent acquisitions and I haven't recorded with them yet. But most of the songs on the music player were done using the Karma keyboard for basic tracks, with overdubs from my other keyboards, modules, and guitars.

The first and second songs feature a special guest appearance from Jefferson Starship keyboardist Pete Sears: first track- organ, second track- electric piano. I recorded his tracks in my studio using the Karma.

• Members

Nice setup ... but I don't like playing synths (in your case V-Synth, M3, etc.) and being monitored only from one side ...

I usually have all the synths going into a mixing board and I use headphones a lot. But for speakers, I have a set of Roland Cube 30 powered monitors on my computer rig right behind me, so that the sound is coming from there - left and right.

A couple other responses to posts:

Umbra - Why keep the karma keyboard? Also I agree on the M3, it has to be controllable. Is there a reason you are not using the editor to control the M3?

My plan when I got the M3 was to sell the Karma, but when it came down to it, I couldn't let it go. There are still a lot of sounds in it I haven't used yet, but probably will on my next recording, sample some, and then sell it. I haven't had the M3 that long and have been busy with other things and just have not had the time to mess with the editor - but I definitely plan to.

keybdwizrd : Where's the computer?

The computer is right behind me. It's a Mac laptop and Mbox 2 Pro, and when I'm tracking keyboards, I just move it over next to the keyboards. Not ideal, but it's ok. Here's a better shot of the layout - there's a 24" computer monitor right above the laptop (not shown):

studio.jpg

• Members

There are a number of full length recordings on the music player here:

www.myspace.com/michaeldiamondmusic

Although the V-Synth and M3M are recent acquisitions and I haven't recorded with them yet. But most of the songs on the music player were done using the Karma keyboard for basic tracks, with overdubs from my other keyboards, modules, and guitars.

The first and second songs feature a special guest appearance from Jefferson Starship keyboardist Pete Sears: first track- organ, second track- electric piano. I recorded his tracks in my studio using the Karma.

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed it!!

Archived