Are all Bass Amps this clean?

Bassified

• Members

From your description I can't tell whether your amp has an FX return or Line In (just look at the back of the amp, that's where they are usually located) - which would be the best place to plug in a preamp.
But a preamp can also be plugged into the normal input (where you'd usually plug in the bass), you just have to watch how much you crank the preamp).

There are even pedal shaped preamps specifically intended for plugging into the regular instrument input of a (combo) amp - here in Europe Hughes & Kettner are quite popular for that, and some of those even have a speaker sim. circuit (emulates the sound of a guitar speaker cabinet), don't know US prices, though.

You might also look at Ebay, Hughes & Kettner used to have whole line of preamps for your purposes (out of production, unfortunately) - like the MetalMaster (which can do anything from clean to dirty high-gain distortion), the Cream Machine (for singing high-gain solo sounds), or the CrunchMaster (AFAIK later renamed BluesMaster) for clean to dirty overdriven rhythm sounds. Those are really nice, as they are not merely preamps, but also emulate the sound of an overdriven tube poweramp, they have all kind of plugs for different purposes (going into a PA mixer or recording desk, into headphones, into instrument amps, they can even be hooked up to speaker cabinets directly to use them for practicing at low output levels).

Roman

PS: BTW, yeah, just put it on top of your bass combo and plug it in; some newer models also come in stomp box shape (in fact, the distinction between a tube-driven distortion pedal and a rube-preamp is becoming a bit blurry lately).
If you want to play bass and guitar without having to plug and unplug the preamp all the time, try to get something with a bypass (like most of the Hughes & Kettner stuff I mentioned), and use an A/B pedal in front of it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
  • Members
Originally posted by Bassified

Ok, my Yorkville has these features and again, I am confused with all these line outs and DI stuff and probably don't know where to plug what into what once I buy a cheap preamp:

# Power @ min. impedance (Watts): 100

# Minimum Impedance (Ohms): 4

# Burst Power - 2 cycle: 125

# Speaker Configuration - LF (Size / Power): 1 x 15 inch / 100 Watts

# Input Channels: 1

# Channel 1 -- inputs: 1/4 inch Phono

# Channel 1 -- controls: Volume, Bass Mid, Treble, Contour

# Line Out (type / configuration): XLR Switchable pre or post

# Line Out Sensitivity (Vrms): 25

# Protection: Thermal, Short Circuit

# Headphone Jack: Yes

So basically I buy the Carvin and plug it into my
Yorkville Bassamp
and that will give me
100 watts of GUITAR DISTORTION SOUND?

:love:

According the manual from the link you posted, your bass amp has both CD/Line input RCA connectors, and a full FX loop. So, you can plug a preamp/modeler into either the CD/Line or FX Loop Return and it should sound good. Like I said before, do some research and try to find a modeler that will be able to give you the sounds you want. Make sure to read the manuals so you really know how to give them a fair shake. The only caveat with a preamp is that it should have some sort of cabinet simulator otherwise you

• Members

Thanks for the help guys!

Hm, I might go for a preamp, they seem cheaper and I already have an existing bass amp, so might as well put it to good use. I'm the only one in the family who plays guitar, so it's not like my brother will jam with me.

I guess the only problem is carrying it over to my friend's place to play, because that amp is 51 lbs and sometimes I have to bus. I don't know what I'll do with that preamp when carrying my guitar as well.

:confused:

Traynor Reverb Mate 40 is $199 CDN and Fender Frontman 25R is about $179CDN. Anyone on here ever buy one of those?

• Members

Traynor Reverb Mate 40 is $199 CDN and Fender Frontman 25R is about $179CDN. Anyone on here ever buy one of those?

My practice amp is a Fender Frontman 25R. It's not horrible, but it's not great either. I haven't tried using it while playing along with a drummer in years, but it may not be loud enough for you - depends how loud the drums are.

• Members

Originally posted by Shuborno

My practice amp is a Fender Frontman 25R. It's not horrible, but it's not great either. I haven't tried using it while playing along with a drummer in years, but it may not be loud enough for you - depends how loud the drums are.

Yeah, 25watts is pushing it a bit. I'd prefer at least 30.

• Members

I've been playing through a Sunn Model T bass amp into a 4 x 12 guitar cab for years. It's an all-tube 100 w head and is louder and cleaner than many heads I've heard.

It is one of the 1970's models I believe.

If you find one of these in a pawn shop; buy it immediately!

Or let me know...I'd gladly buy a back-up.

Pimpadeus

• Members

I forgot to add.

If I do buy a preamp, i can just buy a cabinet and play through that instead of a combo, right?

Nope; if you want to use it with a cabinet, you'll also need a power-amp.

It is guitar->preamp->poweramp->cabinet - in your case you are just replacing the last two with the power-amp section and cabinet of your bass-amp.

Except: those H & K Metal Master/Cream Machine types have a little poweramp section (about 2 W solid state) built in, which is sufficient for playing at home, but not with a band. And you could also hook those up to your stereo for practicing at home.

• Members

I guess the only problem is carrying it over to my friend's place to play, because that amp is 51 lbs and sometimes I have to bus. I don't know what I'll do with that preamp when carrying my guitar as well.

:confused:

Most preamps are 19" wide, and about 2 to 3 high, so that might not be really handy. But some of the examples are much smaller (like the stomp-box types and the little H&K ones, which you can easily stuff into a bag).

As for those combos, I don't have any experience with either, but 25 or 40 W in a solid state amp is really not a lot - it might be sufficient for jamming at home with another guitar or bass player, but as soon as you add drums, you'll need 60 to 100 W at the very least, and even that is not a lot for playing anything heavier.
Now, with a tube amp that's a different story - 15 to 25 W are quite sufficient for jamming with a full band.

Maybe you could also try and find a small used tube amp? I personally use a Peavey Encore, which is a 60 W tube combo that usually goes for about 150 $ on US Ebay and sounds quite good - it is geared towards clean sounds, though, but works very well with distortion or overdrive pedals; there should be used tube combos available in your price range, maybe check out local music stores and pawn shops as well as Ebay.

• Members

Yeah, 25watts is pushing it a bit. I'd prefer at least 30.

You are not going to hear any difference between 25 and 30 W - remember, you 4x the power to get 2x the loudness (so, a 100 W amp is twice as loud as a 25 W).

And the other rule: with a solid state amp you need about 3 to 4x the power of a tube amp (so, for playing with a band 15 W tube power will be sufficient, but you'll need abou 60 to 100 W solid state power) - that's due to the fact that a tube amp at break-up level (= above its power rating) sounds great, but a solid state amp sounds horrible once it goest distorted.

• Members

I've looked up the Zoom G2.1U and it requires AA batteries.

I was wondering if there are any preamps without the use of batteries?

Personally, I don't prefer battery usage because it's a hassle.

So are there any without any sort of batteries?

Nope, preamps don'T run on batteries. That Zoom (as well as the Line6 Pod, the Behringer V-Amp, and a few others) is not a preamp, but a modeler.

A preamp is simply the first stage of an amplifier that shapes the sound, it can be made with tube (better) or solid state (not so good) technology.

A modeler is a digital dvice, kind of like a little computer that simulates an amplifier - it tries to compute sounds that are similar to various classic amp models (that's why it is called a modeler). Some people like them, because they are quite handy (particularly for recording), many people hate them, because they think modelers sound sterile and cold. I had a Behringer VAmp 2 for a while (one of the cheaper models, should cost about 99 $), and hated it, sold it after a few weeks, to me it sounded cold and took the life out of my guitar sound, but then I prefer a warm, cleaner sound, which is not the strongest side of that model, maybe you might like it for high-gain heavy sounds, though.

My personal opinion of what you should do:

-) Get a Hughes and Kettner Metal Master - that Thing sounds great, and will do exactly what you want; you can hook it up to your bass-amp for band practice or in concert (and if that bass amp is not loud enough for live situations, you can even hook the H & K up to the mixer of the PA system), and you can hook it up to a small (like 1x10") guitar cabinet, your stereo, or headphones for practicing at home (and could leave that bass amp at your friend's place (if he does not mind), so you don't have to carry it all the time.

Problem: those have been out of production for a while, and are not that common on Ebay - maybe try looking at German Ebay (www.ebay.de) as well, there they can be found more often, for about 50 to 100 Euros, so even with shipping and duties that should be below 200 $CDN; you might need a special transformer though - does Canada have 230 V power like Europe, or the measly 110 V of the US?

Some of the other stomp box-shaped preamps (like the H & K Tubeman) can also be hooked up to a stereo, but won't run a cabinet without a power-amp. Might be an easier to find option.

or:
-) Get a used, small tube-amp (anything from 15 to 50 W) - and I mean, a real tube amp, not one that only has a single pre-amp tube in for marketing reasons.
If you have to get a solid state amp, go for at least 60 to 100 W, and try wheter you like the sound before you buy - I personally have never found a SS amp that I really liked...

or:
-) get a modeler (like the Zoom, The Behringer VAmp, the Pod) - you can hook it up to the bass amp for band practice, to the PA for live playing, or to your stereo or headphones for playing at home (it won't drive a speaker cabinet by itself).
But absolutely try it out before buying - I personally don't like their sound and reaction to playing dynamics, a lot of people do, you have to find out for yourself whether you can live with one of those.

Roman

PS: Sorry about the multiple posts - but I don't know how to quote from multiple messages in a single response...

• Members

I've looked up the Zoom G2.1U and it requires AA batteries.

I was wondering if there are any preamps without the use of batteries?

Personally, I don't prefer battery usage because it's a hassle.

So are there any without any sort of batteries?

Actually, according to www.music123.com the Zoom G2.1U comes with an AC adapter. So, the capability to use batteries is a feature incase you didn't want to run power out to your playing position. Most modelers don't have the capability to run batteries.

BTW, if you're not used to tube amps, you're probably not going to even notice the "feel" of a modeler. IMO, if you're not playing a full tube rig, the "feel" won't be there anyway. So, just by adding an all-tube preamp isn't necessarily going to change the way the whole amplification system feels to play. But, like I said, I doubt you'll even know the difference. IMO, the Vox Tonelab SE has the best tube amp feel of all the modelers and even SS amps.

• Members
Originally posted by RomanS

Nope, preamps don'T run on batteries. That Zoom (as well as the Line6 Pod, the Behringer V-Amp, and a few others) is not a preamp, but a modeler.

A preamp is simply the first stage of an amplifier that shapes the sound, it can be made with tube (better) or solid state (not so good) technology.

A modeler is a digital dvice, kind of like a little computer that simulates an amplifier - it tries to compute sounds that are similar to various classic amp models (that's why it is called a modeler). Some people like them, because they are quite handy (particularly for recording), many people hate them, because they think modelers sound sterile and cold. I had a Behringer VAmp 2 for a while (one of the cheaper models, should cost about 99 $), and hated it, sold it after a few weeks, to me it sounded cold and took the life out of my guitar sound, but then I prefer a warm, cleaner sound, which is not the strongest side of that model, maybe you might like it for high-gain heavy sounds, though.

My personal opinion of what you should do:

-) Get a Hughes and Kettner Metal Master - that Thing sounds great, and will do exactly what you want; you can hook it up to your bass-amp for band practice or in concert (and if that bass amp is not loud enough for live situations, you can even hook the H & K up to the mixer of the PA system), and you can hook it up to a small (like 1x10") guitar cabinet, your stereo, or headphones for practicing at home (and could leave that bass amp at your friend's place (if he does not mind), so you don't have to carry it all the time.

Problem: those have been out of production for a while, and are not that common on Ebay - maybe try looking at German Ebay (
www.ebay.de
) as well, there they can be found more often, for about 50 to 100 Euros, so even with shipping and duties that should be below 200 $CDN; you might need a special transformer though - does Canada have 230 V power like Europe, or the measly 110 V of the US?

Some of the other stomp box-shaped preamps (like the H & K Tubeman) can also be hooked up to a stereo, but won't run a cabinet without a power-amp. Might be an easier to find option.

or:

-) Get a used, small tube-amp (anything from 15 to 50 W) - and I mean, a real tube amp, not one that only has a single pre-amp tube in for marketing reasons.

If you have to get a solid state amp, go for at least 60 to 100 W, and try wheter you like the sound before you buy - I personally have never found a SS amp that I really liked...

or:

-) get a modeler (like the Zoom, The Behringer VAmp, the Pod) - you can hook it up to the bass amp for band practice, to the PA for live playing, or to your stereo or headphones for playing at home (it won't drive a speaker cabinet by itself).

But absolutely try it out before buying - I personally don't like their sound and reaction to playing dynamics, a lot of people do, you have to find out for yourself whether you can live with one of those.

Roman

PS: Sorry about the multiple posts - but I don't know how to quote from multiple messages in a single response...

Hey, thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll look into that.

Well, first of all, I've never really played through tube amps, but everyone seems to tell me that they have better clean sounds compared to SS. Which is probably true, since no one has ever said SS is better. I think they're just cheaper. However, my bass amp is solid state, so if I buy a Tube Preamp, how often do I have to replace the tube?

Yeah, as you can see, I'm not a big fan of Active pick-ups, tube amps, modelers with batteries, because they need replacement of some sort. I know it's not a big deal, but I'm paranoid like playing on for worship and then the power dies out.

Anyways yeah, so how often do you need to replace the tubes in tube combo amps/preamps and what can a preamp do that a modeler can't (or vice versa)?

• Members

Yeah, as you can see, I'm not a big fan of Active pick-ups, tube amps, modelers with batteries, because they need replacement of some sort. I know it's not a big deal, but I'm paranoid like playing on for worship and then the power dies out.

Anyways yeah, so how often do you need to replace the tubes in tube combo amps/preamps and what can a preamp do that a modeler can't (or vice versa)?

Me again... :D:wave:

Preamp tubes do not have to be changed that often - every couple of years or so, depending on how much you play. And they are not that expensive, either - about 5 to 10 $ a piece (and most preamps use about 2 to 3 tubes).
Power amp tubes (which are not found in preamps) have to be changed more often, if you play a lot (like a couple of hours every day) at high volume you might have to change them about twice a year, but they might also last for 3 or 4 years if you only play like twice a week at low volume. Also depends on amp type - 'hot' class A amps with EL84 tubes will need fesh ones more often than 'cold' AB types with 6L6 tubes.

As for modelers vs. preamps, you should really go to a music shop yourself and try both, as opinions vary widely (as do people's tastes), and you'll have to find out whether you like them or not.
A modeler will give you much more different sounds - they have digital models for a lot of different amps, they usually have built in effects (like delay, tremolo, chorus, reverb, etc.), and usually it is programmable, and you can change between different settings by using a footswitch.
A preamp, depending on how many channels it has, will only have about 1 to 3 sounds between whcih you can switch via footswitch, and you'll have to use external effects (rack units or stomp boxes).

I personally don't like modelers' sounds (though I admit that I have a CD by a local band whose guitar player recorded only with a POD, and I love it) - to me they sound cold and sterile, artificial, digital, and they don't react to player's dynamics very well (like, with a real tube amp you can go from rather cleanish to dirty by turning up the volume of your guitar, or by simply hitting your strings harder with your pick - with a modeler this is simply not as noticeable); it will also kind of level out the sound of your guitar - the sound will always be determined much more by the modeler rather than the guitar you are using. All that is mostly noticeable if you are playing with sound that are on the edge between clean and dirty - for a very clean, dry sound, or for a very high-gain, extremely distorted sound, you might be quite happy with a modeler (after all, jazz guitar players who need 100% clean sounds, as well as death metal players, who use extremely distorted sounds, are the only ones who use solid state amps regularly; the majority of guys playing inbetween - no matter whether classic rock, alternative, country, etc. - mostly prefers a real tube sound).
A preamp, even if run through a solid state power amp (though optimally coupled with a tube power amp stage), will sound much warmer, more natural, more analogue, it will be much more responsive to your picking, and to the type of guitar you are using (= it will not make every axe sound the same).

So it is basically

modellers:
+ variety of sounds and effects
- tone quality
- repsonsiveness to plyer and guitar type

preamp:
+ tone quality
+ responsiveness to player/axe, dynamics
- variety of sounds

But I don't want to deter you from getting a modeler - just don't buy one without trying it first, to see whether you can live with it.
With a tube preamp, I'd say it's much less of a problem to buy one untested...

Roman

PS: Or really simple:

VARIETY (modeler) vs. great TONE (preamp)

- but since tone is a matter of subjective taste, you'll have to judge for yourself whether a modeler's tone is good enough for you...

• Members

Hey Roman,

so in essence, a modeler is similar to a multi-effect pedal. it's kind of like have 5 different types of pedals, while a preamp is like the band-eq at the top of the combo amp.

Oh yeah, and a lot of these randall preamps look like computer motherboards. isn't there any cover or protection around these preamps? i mean, they look so fragile.....

• Members

Hey Roman,

so in essence, a modeler is similar to a multi-effect pedal. it's kind of like have 5 different types of pedals, while a preamp is like the band-eq at the top of the combo amp.

Oh yeah, and a lot of these
look like computer motherboards. isn't there any cover or protection around these preamps? i mean, they look so fragile.....

Yep, kind of... only that the modeler is not only effects, but also tries to mimick the sound of an amp (usually they have models of the classic amps: Fender Tweed and Blackface, Marshall, AC30, Mesa Boogie,...)

And the band eq (as well as the gain control) is essentially what controls the preamp (and the sound) of an amplifier; think of it like that (simplified):

gain (=distortion) & EQ (treble, mid, bass, plus whatever 'bright', 'thick', etc. switches you have) = preamp -> controls what the signal from the bass/guitar sounds like

master volume = power-amp -> controls how loud that signal is

(of course, the gain also influences loudness, and the presence, which is technically located in the poweramp section, influences sound, and then there is stuff like spring reverb, which is neither nor, but basically that's it)

About those Randalls: the

• Members

itll do the same as a preamp, AND modeler.

ive got a behringer Vtone, and i really like it. its the closest to tube emulation ive ever heard, and many others will agree. I dont know about the Vampire one though. There is a Vtone head, which is the same thing, only limited ANALOGE modeling, and a handfull of fx. With a tubescreamer you get a close tube sound.

• Members

Originally posted by MadSkillzMan

itll do the same as a preamp, AND modeler.

ive got a behringer Vtone, and i really like it. its the closest to tube emulation ive ever heard, and many others will agree. I dont know about the Vampire one though. There is a Vtone head, which is the same thing, only limited ANALOGE modeling, and a handfull of fx. With a tubescreamer you get a close tube sound.

It'll do both?! Then what's the point of buying a preamp, besides being cheaper than say $50. i think i gotta go for something that will last in the long run.

alright, now that there's a guitar head, which i am really thinking about, is it possible to attach it my yorkville bassmaster xm100c i was talking about?

specifications of amp are in the previous post*

• Members

ok, i've been checking out these v-amp pros by Behringer.

terchincally, do modelers/preamps provide a larger range of sounds and are more flexible compared to just a combo amp or heads?

i have about $150USD or $200CAD to spend, but i already have a 100watt bass amp so would it be a better idea if i spend it on a preamp/modeler to get the maximum of effects and also get my money worth?

the best i can do if i go for a combo is buy a traynor for 40watts and i'll need a strong enough 'guitar amp' to jam with my drummer. hopefully my next purchase can sustain a small gig as well.

so yeah:

1) Do modelers/preamps provide more effects and range of sounds compared to just a basic 40watt combo amp (ie. traynor reverbmate 40) and guitar heads.

if yes then:

2) should i buy a preamp (V-AMP PRO) or a modeler (V-AMP PRO 2) both are by Behringer and in my price range.

Thanks again!

• Members

You are confusing some things here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Amps?sku=157031
- this one is for ACOUSTIC guitars, not ELECTRIC!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Amps?sku=180281
- this one is only a module - one interchangeable part of a preamp - to use that, you have to buy the shell that it slides into from Randall.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Amps?sku=180769
- this is a preamp - this is what you are looking for, if you want to hook something up to you bass combo; I don't have any personal experience with that exact model, though, so I can't tell you what it sounds like.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Amps?sku=480734
- this is not a preamp, but a complete amp head - you'll need a speaker cabinet, you can't hook that up to your bass combo. Oh, and its preamp section is also a modeler, so all the caveats about sterile sound apply.
BTW, Behringer doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to reliability...

http://www.behringer.com/LX1-PRO/index.cfm?lang=ENG
- this is just a modeler in a fancier packag, styled like a 'real' preamp - it is still a modeler, though.
This one can be hooked up to your bass-amp, as well as to a stereo, headphones,...
It is just a 'pimped' version of this much cheaper version, though:
http://www.behringer.com/V-AMP2/index.cfm?lang=ENG
- and that's the one I had myself and hated for its bad sound.
If you want to get one of those Behringer devices, please, please, please don't make the same mistake I dd, don't buy them before you tested them yourself, or you might regret it.
Sure, they have a great variety of sounds - but would you rather have 50 bad sounds or 2 good ones???

But also do consider one of those:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=480208
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Effects?sku=151794

- I don't have personal experience with either, but I know that a lot of pros uses the SansAmp devices, you could hook those up to your bass-combo, and they are really compact, and probably more reliable than the plastic Behringer stuff...

Archived