Ensoniq ESQ1

n!k

• Members

If you're really handy, there are a number of mods you can do to an ESQ-1, including turning it into an SQ-80.

:eek: Crikey! is that like a major mod, or something fairly simple. I always thought they were quite different synthesizers.

(btw n!k, if you need the manual, theres a link in the reset and manuals thread at the top of the page, and congrats on the purchase!)

• Members

It depends on your idea of a major mod. If you play with arduinos and such it probably is doable. I think it needs a daughterboard to do so, but it's hard to tell because there is no real documentation, just some schematics with some sparse notes. The SQ-80 isn't an entirely different synthesizer, just an ESQ-1 with more waveform ROM and sequencer memory and a few other enhancements.

• Members

Guys I'm not even bold enough to replace the battery on my own, I won't be doing any frankensynth projects!

Haha, I changed the battery on my old VFX some time back (thread on it somewhere). Was a fairly easy process. I suspect the ESQ-1 is a similar job.

• Members

I've got an ESQM. The freeware VSTi is almost as good, but having real analog filters adds something special.

The ESQ has a broad range of sounds, from analog to digital and specially the hybrid analog-digital sounds I find attractive. It's maybe not the best for strong lead sounds and deep analog basses, but it easily fits in a mix without taking up too much space. There is a ton of available patches out there, but of course programming your own is satisfying and easy. If you are used to analog synthersizers it's a good start, but the modulation possibilities are quite large (in addition to the digital waves) to allow you to transform the sound beyond normal analog synthesis. .

Archived