Korg M3 Piano Sounds - Questions

djhunt

• Members

Stickygum, I like the expanded much better> MUCH better. The sounds are better, the sounds are organized better, everything(to me)is improved. I am glad that I updated even though you must have the flash drive in back.

I have ordered and received the 256 memory and am installing it today. It seems that you have to remove the module and the trim strip holding it(6 screws) plus another two to take the plate off the module. Then you insert the card and reverse the removal actions. It seems very simple, but I will report on any difficulty. If I can do it without any trouble, believe me, anyone can.

• Members

Stickygum, I like the expanded much better> MUCH better. The sounds are better, the sounds are organized better, everything(to me)is improved. I am glad that I updated even though you must have the flash drive in back.

I have ordered and received the 256 memory and am installing it today. It seems that you have to remove the module and the trim strip holding it(6 screws) plus another two to take the plate off the module. Then you insert the card and reverse the removal actions. It seems very simple, but I will report on any difficulty. If I can do it without any trouble, believe me, anyone can.

Installing the EXB256 and the Radias are fairly easy you shouldn't any issues installing it. My one complaint about the EXB256: it really is necessary. They should have just upped the ram, and bumped the price by $40-$60 dollars.

• Members

The only trick with installing the add-ons to the M3 is to make sure you press the connectors in HARD. If you don't the M3 won't see the card. This happened both with my radias and firewire expansions. The 256 connects differently. That and don't expect to run MIDI over the firewire connection if you get it, stay with usb for midi. BIG speed difference.

• Members

It seems that you have to remove the module and the trim strip holding it(6 screws) plus another two to take the plate off the module. Then you insert the card and reverse the removal actions. It seems very simple, but I will report on any difficulty. If I can do it without any trouble, believe me, anyone can.

Adding the EXB-M256 shouldn't require removal of the module. I just flipped mine over and did it. I've done about 5 so far and I've never done it a different way.

-Mc

• Members

Ok, like djhunt mentioned it was night and day, you also mentioned you like the Expanded 2.0 better. I'm guessing the fondness of the new sound set is subjective. So what I hear from you guys is that the newer set and OS will basically change all the older sound sets.? There are some chord assignments on the pads that are intriguing to me and I wouldn't want to loose those. It'd be nice if I could copy some patches and pads over to the new OS 2.0.

• Members

I should have read your post first, McHale. I could have saved some time and trouble. But the installation went well, no problems. I am brave now. I am waiting on the mini flash so that I can replace the long one sent by Korg, and also install the latest update.

Difficulty of installation on scale of one to ten, one.

• Members

Ok, like djhunt mentioned it was night and day, you also mentioned you like the Expanded 2.0 better. I'm guessing the fondness of the new sound set is subjective. So what I hear from you guys is that the newer set and OS will basically change all the older sound sets.? There are some chord assignments on the pads that are intriguing to me and I wouldn't want to loose those. It'd be nice if I could copy some patches and pads over to the new OS 2.0.

Don't know about this, but can't you save the .PCG files of the sounds you like, install 2.0 and then reload the .PCG files in your empty slots?

• Members

Point of information; When I get the small flash drive, all I have to do is download OS 2.04 onto it and load it into the keyboard, leaving the drive in the back.(?) I understand that I need only load it once.(?) The flash received from korg is no longer necessary and can be cleared(initialized) for further use.(?) Or would you save it as is?

Is there anything that must be done with the new and smaller flash drive before downloading 2.04? (trying to avoid an Uh OH moment)

I recognize and acknowledge the skill and expertise in this forum. If I am missing something, please advise.

• Members

I received the nano flash drive(4gig) from eagletec and it is indeed smaller than a quarter. I was about to download OS 2.04 onto it when I decided to search for more info. I discovered that you must indeed format the flash drive and then load at least part of OS 2.00 on it, then load OS 2.04 on top of it. I am going to load the three Kep files from OS 2.00 onto the flash and then load m3xpsys from OS 2.04 Seems like that should work. While I am at it, I think I will load the pcm 4 file with the old piano in it. and set it all to auto load. I will report on how that worked.

The flash drive can be formatted on the back of the M3. Fat 32.

• Members

I received the nano flash drive(4gig) from eagletec and it is indeed smaller than a quarter. I was about to download OS 2.04 onto it when I decided to search for more info. I discovered that you must indeed format the flash drive and then load at least part of OS 2.00 on it, then load OS 2.04 on top of it. I am going to load the three Kep files from OS 2.00 onto the flash and then load m3xpsys from OS 2.04 Seems like that should work. While I am at it, I think I will load the pcm 4 file with the old piano in it. and set it all to auto load. I will report on how that worked.

The flash drive can be formatted on the back of the M3. Fat 32.

Not the right way - you MUST fully load the V2.0 update, which means you run that update 2 times. Then you can load the 2.04 over it to finish updating to the latest OS.

The .KEP files are sample libraries that can be loaded on start-up, don't consider them part of the OS per se.

So do not go to the 2.04 data without having loaded the complete 2.0 data (run twice). Clear?

regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

• Members

Thanks Jerrythek. I have already installed the expanded 2.0 and am running it on my keyboard from the flash drive that Korg provided. I got the Eagletec flash because it is smaller. I am adding OS 2.04 to the board. Since the Eagletec flash is new and has nothing on it, I thought I could just add the Kep files to it along with OS 2.04 and be good to go. Load it into my keyboard and leave the small drive in the back on auto load.

I guess to be on the safe side, I could fully load V2.0 onto the eagletec and then remove the old OS leaving the three files on it and add the the new OS. I still would run it only one time wouldn't I?

• Members

I didn't see any evidence that the Kep files were already included in the OS 2.04 down load. I realize that once OS 2.04 is loaded, I could take the eagletec flash out, put it into my computer and remove OS 2.04 from the drive, leaving only the Kep files including the PCM 4 piano, place the flash back into the keyboard on auto load(set to load the four files), although it doesn't seem necessary.

I would be uncomfortable auto-loading the kep files from a flash drive that had the old OS(2.0) on it after I had installed 2.04. Things happen.

I really don't mind and appreciate being corrected when I am in error. Am I headed the wrong way here?

• Members

If your M3 now has the effects presets included in the right hand side of the algorithm display page (you will have to scroll the list back to the right to see the lowest locations), and you have a EX-USBPCM "management" page in your Media Mode then you have fully upgraded to 2.0. The you won't need to OS files on your USB stick any more. You can load 2.02 from a stick and then I would remove those files when you've finished, and only keep the 4 .KEP files on the stick for the future. All the files are backed-up on your computer anyway, right?

You'll be good to go.

Regards,

Jerry

Korg Guy

• Members

I formatted Eagletec flash drive on back of M3. Downloaded expanded 2.0. All went as expected. I did not install PCM4. I can see that it will not be at all difficult when I am ready to do so.

The small flash drive barely sticks out behind the board and is somewhat protected by the handle of the module. I don't see the need to install a larger SD card. I wouldn't hesitate to install it if I saw a need, though. But the small flash drive is simply not in the way.

I am very satisfied with the whole procedure. If you have been hesitating about any update, have no fear. I am not highly skilled at this. One need only read the instructions carefully and proceed.

Archived