Regrets: which synth would you buy back?

JAW

• Members

Well it isn't exactly a synth but the Gibson G101 combo organ I was using in 1969 is missed at times. An
Opus Three
by Moog had a fat output and used with a fuzz wah pedal on pop gigs. The Korg K1 and K2 were fun when converted to left hand strap on bass synth. The little
Arp Explorer
was nice to work with in studio work for simple horn parts. I wouldn't go back. I'm super pleased with the stuff I use now.

Two of my all time favorites.

I got my Explorer from a friend who didn't want it. I never dug it when he owned it because I had a Pro-One and figured mine was better and did more. After he gave me the Explorer, I've changed my tune. The sheer simplicity and beatifully melloncollie tone along with the self oscillating slider make it the perfect performance monosynth for me. It's so smooth and feminine. That single oscillator just sounds sweet. Love it.

I've only sold 1 board. A Korg ES-50 Lambda in a fit of buyer's remorse following the the purchase of my QS8. I regret that decision more and more as the years go by. I don't lose sleep as I've got plenty to keep me busy and smiling. But it did some cool things. Also, I just appreciate tone more now. The QS has zero tone. The Lambda had tons of it.

As anyone could tell from my signature, I prefer limited keyboards. Bells, whistles, software and all things to everybody synths completely bore me.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I sold my Kawai R-50e (drum machine) in 1993 in order to get an Alesis SR-16. While the SR was a great drum machine at the time, I almost instantly regretted selling the R-50e. I wish I could have just had both. I finally re-aquired another R-50e in 1999, but it was a dark, lonely, depraved (even) 6 years. Since then, I get really aprehensive about selling stuff. I sold a Yamaha PF-10 electric piano (76 key fm preset machine) and though it had nice action, I don't miss it at all.

nos is Sho'Nuff?

• Members

Synth/Keyboards I sold and wish I had Back

- Rhodes Chroma w Expander

- Oberheim Xpander

- Minimoog Model D

- Rhodes 73 (2 of them)

- Hohner Clav D6 ( 3 of them)

- DX7, DX7 II FD ( 4 of them)

- Prophet VS Rackmount

- Super Jupiter W/ programmer

- Jupiter 6

- Roland JP8080

- ARP Odyssey ( 3 of them)

- ARP 2600

- Oberheim SEM

- EMU Orbit V3

- Korg EX8000 ( 2 of them)

- Korg Wavestation A/D

- Korg Z-1 with expansion board

- Sequential Studio 440

• Members

If the price was very right ... Micron ... but the uninspiring keybed without aftertouch and minimalist interface ultimately turn me off ...

Although I had a Fusion 6HD and sold it after a couple of turns love/hateing it, I might be willing to take a chance on an 8HD as I don't have an 88-key controller/board yet ...

The only other synth I've sold -- other than notorious Juno-106s -- is a Novation A-Station and due to its beyond spartan interface, probably never would again either ...

• Members

Roland MKS-80 and Juno6, ELKA Synthex, ARP Odyssey, Hammond L122 with Leslie 760, Fender Rhodes MK1.

When I had to close down my old recording studio, I had to get rid of most of my key stuff.

Now in the (smaller) new one I use software versions of 'em, but it's not the same thing.

Even for a guitar player...

(I bought back a KAWAI 100F, though)

• Members

Synth/Keyboards I sold and wish I had Back

- Rhodes Chroma w Expander

- Oberheim Xpander

- Minimoog Model D

- Rhodes 73 (2 of them)

- Hohner Clav D6 ( 3 of them)

- DX7, DX7 II FD ( 4 of them)

- Prophet VS Rackmount

- Super Jupiter W/ programmer

- Jupiter 6

- Roland JP8080

- ARP Odyssey ( 3 of them)

- ARP 2600

- Oberheim SEM

- EMU Orbit V3

- Korg EX8000 ( 2 of them)

- Korg Wavestation A/D

- Korg Z-1 with expansion board

- Sequential Studio 440

I wouldn't live long enough to regret selling those boards. I'd have hung myself by now.

However, I could live a long and fulfilling life if I never had to hear another DX7. The synth that killed synths...

• Members

Oh gawd ......

Waldorf Micro Q

Yamaha CS70m

Emulator EIII keyboard

DX7IIFDe

SP808EX (2 units)

Kawai XD5 (drum rack synth)

Prophet 2002+ Racks ( 2 units)

Emax SE Rack

Akai S950

Redsound EleVata (loved the sound through some Tube Mic pre's and guitar FX pedals)

2 x SE70 effects units

Korg ER-1

Ensoniq SQ80

Roland JP8080

That said I wouldn't have the space for most if not all of it now.

But I miss those bits of kit an awful lot.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Short answer: all of them!

I haven't owned much, but what I did have I now know were keepers, and regret selling each one of them, all due to my financial irresponsibility:

-- Juno 106
-- Korg DW-8000 (with custom chip for splits)
-- Boss SE-70 (it has a synth, dammit)
-- Fantom Xa (okay, not so great, but still...)

Nowadays, the internal battle rages whether I should give in to nostalgia vintage GAS or just go all modern with soft-synths and DAWs, with only a couple decent MIDI controllers. I think I've already gone overboard with 4 synths, 2 rack units, 2 drum controllers, an FX unit, and 4 MIDI controllers.

Isn't the ultimate setup nowadays one semi-weighted synth action, one 88key piano action, a couple MIDI controllers, and the rest all software?

• Members

Korg Microkorg, which is pretty much the only thing I sold.

I dont regret replacing it with a Waldorf Blofeld, it so infinite more powerful. But I miss the fact that it worked on batteries.

Alesis Micron looks very tempting , works on batteries , more power and better keyboard but the UI looks suckish .

• Members

Korg Microkorg, which is pretty much the only thing I sold.

I dont regret replacing it with a Waldorf Blofeld, it so infinite more powerful. But I miss the fact that it worked on batteries.

Alesis Micron looks very tempting , works on batteries , more power and better keyboard but the UI looks suckish .

I wish the Micron worked on batteries, but unfortunately it does not. AC power only.

• Members

I had one of the original Alesis Quadrasynth's when they first came out. While I wouldn't go out and try to find one today, I kind of wish I had kept it.

I still have the Piano Plus version, and although it's nothing extraordinary, it is a reliable, rock solid, good all arounder.

What I really like is the aftertouch, 76 keys, and extensive spilt/layer capabilities. Along with multiple pedal inputs. It makes a great controller (except it doesn't send program change per cahnnel) and has some pretty usable sounds to boot, especially with the Vintage Synth Q-Card

• Members

About a month ago I traded a JX-10 (with PG800) for a Prophet 600. I think that was a great exchange, and I love the P600, but I immediately missed those JX strings. So there was regret. But only for 48 hours -- for wouldn't you know it, but at just that moment I came across a near-mint JX-8P on my local craigslist for $250. Nice. (then of course I had to find another PG800).

Otherwise, no regrets here.

• Members

My trusty Roland MV-30 sequencer. The most productive I've ever been in my life was when I could sketch out ideas on that thing. :cry:

Fortunately I just won one on EBAY for 24.99!!! Unfortunately, it has a broken floppy drive.

Fortunately I found a place that carries brand new replacements online!

Unfortunately they cost $74.00.

I still have my sequences on a floppy, as well as the OS/startup disk. :thu:

It's too bad that someone hasn't created a "floppy replacement" that can read media cards and had some way of having a built in driver that lets whatever hardware "think" it is a floppy drive.

Like this:
http://www.ipcas.com/news/price-reduction-usb-floppy-emulator.html

Archived