why did you sell your mopho?

sleepykeith

• Members

(1) It was horribly frustrating to use without a computer in almost every way imanaginable

(2) The knobs were so fine grained you could not tweak them in real-time and have the degree of fun with them you can have with, say, a Moog.

(3) The sound wasn't as great as I hoped it would be, I had recently sold a Moog LP and missed the sound from that, and this did not fill in the gaps.

• Members

(1) It was horribly frustrating to use without a computer in almost every way imanaginable

(2) The knobs were so fine grained you could not tweak them in real-time and have the degree of fun with them you can have with, say, a Moog.

(3) The sound wasn't as great as I hoped it would be, I had recently sold a Moog LP and missed the sound from that, and this did not fill in the gaps.

Hard to beat the quick tweakability of the LP, I would say.

I have generally stayed away from DSI stuff. I did not like the interface on the desktop evolver, even. The Mopho never sounded like that much of an improvement.

• Members

this pretty much sums up the answer i was looking for.

thanks!

• Members

Alright, here's what I've got, I'll pick an example, in this case Oscillator 1 Fine Tune. Looking it up in the manual, it is parameter #1: NPRN 1, RANGE 0-100, with 50 being centered. In that table, the left hand column of parameter numbers means nothing to the ReMOTE; it's just a ordinal number. It's the NPRN number and range that's important. So, for this parameter, pick a control knob and set:

Control mode: NPRN
MIDI port group: Common (if you want to send the edit out over the Common port, of course)
MIDI channel group: Common (again, adjust to taste.)
MSB: 0
LSB: 1
Default Value: 50
High Value: 100
Low Value: 0
14-bit values: Off (no)
Display format: 0 to 127

The idea is to plug in the NPRN number from the manual's table as a pair of LSB/MSB numbers into the Remote. The conversion of an NPRN number to LSB/MSB is:

MSB = The integer (whole) result of NPRN number divided by 128;
LSB = remainder result of NPRN divided by 128.

For example, for Oscillator 1 Fine, the NPRN is 1:

MSB = NPRN/128 = 1/128 = 0 (we just want the whole part for MSB)
LSB = remainder = 1 - 0 = 1.

Take another example: Oscillator 1 Sub Level:

Mode: NPRN
MSB: 0 (114 / 128 = 0)
LSB: 114 (remainder of 114 / 128 is 114)
Default value: 0
Low value: 0
High value: 127
14-bit: no

In general, it looks like most parameters have an NPRN of less than 128, so the MSB will always be 0 and the LSB will be the NPRN itself. Also, it looks like most parameter values range up to only 127. In that case, we don't turn on the 14-bit value option for the control. If the parameter can go up to 128 or above, then turn on the 14-bit value for the control. An example of this is parameter 25, "filter envelope control" (NPRN 20), which takes a value range from 0 to 254.

I hope this makes sense.

• Members

I'm actually still having a problem...one that I was having before you showed me how to set the NRPN stuff correctly.

It may have something to do with the fact that I don't know see where one edits the default value or 14-bit values. But basically, I set the NRPN stuff correctly to control, for instance, LFO1 amount. However, any turn of the knob irrevocably alters the sound, in this case upping the LFO amount a ton. I can't turn it down (or change it) and have to switch presets to get back to something not ruined. It's basically like I pressed on with no off option or any switching in between.

• Members

Hey Burglar, I just thought of something, while laying in bed and obsessing about it... Maybe I steered you wrong about the non-14 bit thing. Maybe the Mopho needs all 14 bits, even though the value ranges are small. Set the Remote's NPRN display mode to "16K" (I think it's called), you'll notice that the maximum HighVal can then go up as high as 16383. Just dial that down to 127, or whatever the max range is for the param you're setting, and give that a try.

That's the only cause I can think of.

• Members

Try another parameter?
:idk:
I don't know, I was doing OK with it, I just lost interest.

MIDI programming is a huge PAIN IN THE A@@.... I tried with NATIVE INSTRUMENTS KORE 1 and 1 month ago with my NOVATION REMOTE SL37 ... failed miserably to satisfy myself in both case.

I now selling my SL37 and I would sell my KORE as well if it was not a very good audio card.

By the way I have a bofeld, which is a MONSTER thing , I own it for almost 2 years now and still cant believe that power of this little monster. But I cant stand its 4 knobs interface.

Its not the 4 knobs but the fact I have to look at the lcd constantly.So lately I make less and less music. I WANT to make some cool sound and I Can make them , but I DONT. So I made the jump and ordered an Andromeda, 5 times more expensive but if it invites me to go deep in sound synthesis then it will be priceless. And I think that 72 knobs will be more than enough ;)

So I can relate to people selling their mopho. If my andromeda be as reliable as I hope then I see myself selling my blofeld , or at least I see blofeld as no longer be used, and its a shame cause is a probably on of the best VAs out there.

But sometimes the interface is much more important than the sound itself.

Why?

Cause a sound can be fixed, a bad interface cannot.

Even if you want it for live use that does not mean you are going to use only 4 knobs. Unless there is an assignable knob and before the live you programm it to respond to different parameters. But even for live I would prefer to have Loads of knobs even If intend to tweak only one parameter at a time.

• Members

Hey Burglar, I just thought of something, while laying in bed and obsessing about it... Maybe I steered you wrong about the non-14 bit thing. Maybe the Mopho needs all 14 bits, even though the value ranges are small. Set the Remote's NPRN display mode to "16K" (I think it's called), you'll notice that the maximum HighVal can then go up as high as 16383. Just dial that down to 127, or whatever the max range is for the param you're setting, and give that a try.

That's the only cause I can think of.

After testing this out a little bit, this seems to work perfectly. Thank you EP.

Archived