moog voyager vs. nord synth

c+t in b

• Members

The motif, fantom, and M3 are synths. You just don't understand how to use them. They are far far more flexable programming and sound-wise than anything else your mentioning.

i havent played the others but i know for a fact that i dont want a motif at all.

im still eyeing up the andromeda

• Members

i've played a motif. my old roommate had one. i definitely dont want that. i dont need some faux daw beat machine. i want a synth. it seems like the andromeda is the best thing out there for what im looking for. im not worried about a learning curve. id rather have more buttons. i need to learn synthesis anyways. im trying to break into film audio by doing basic editing at first. but i'd love to do sound design down the road

To be perfectly honest buying an advanced synth first isn't such a bad thing. My first hardware synth was an Access Virus TI and I've grown with it. Most importantly I've never felt limited with it. If I've had an idea I've been able to accomplish it on the synth. I can imagine if I had purchased a different synth to start off on, some of my advanced ideas for a sound, even as a beginner, would have hit a wall....... and that is a terrible feeling. When you're learning synths the last thing you want is road blocks or limitations.

I vote Andromeda on the analog side, hands down :)

Something to keep in mind though, especially if you're going for textural stuff, the Virus TI has the best FX sections of any synth I've ever played :thu:

• Members

OK, try to make any complex patch from Andromeda, using FM, ringmod, sync and stuff like that on any of the Big Three workstations then. They can't do it really. JD-990 could, out of all romplers.

Try to duplicate 90% of the patches in the motif on the Andromeda. I bet you can't do it.

What he needs is a big three rompler but he seems to think they are uncool. So I guess he is going to have to do without all the organs/etc. that are commonly used in rock.

Next someone is going to suggest an analog modular. Watch...

• Members

What he needs is a big three rompler but he seems to think they are uncool. So I guess he is going to have to do without all the organs/etc. that are commonly used in rock.

M3 + EXB-RADIAS would get him the best of both worlds. RADIAS can do FM, ringmod, sync, and all sorts of crazy stuff. I don't have my EXB yet, but I've been playing with the editor for the RADIAS module, and there are some interesting possibilities. Using the waveform/waveshape controls for oscillator 1 and the shape controls for the LFOs, you can get some gnarly-looking results.

Granted, the Wave and the Virus can do that, and then some, but it's good to know that the RADIAS doesn't cede too much ground to the competition.

• Members

Try to duplicate 90% of the patches in the motif on the Andromeda. I bet you can't do it.

Next someone is going to suggest an analog modular. Watch...

I've gotten all of my favorite organ sounds I've heard out of my Virus TI :idk:

You don't need a rompler, you just need to know how to program. He'll learn how to program from using something that is readily programmable.

• Members

well i have a kawai mp-5 that can do organ sounds and everything. theyre not the greatest but theyre usable for the time being. i want to use it as a controller for the andromeda but i just found out that it doesnt have aftertouch! now im thinking of selling it to fund the andromeda and get something else later on as a controller. i jsut moved back home and we have a decent piano so i dont really need the mp-5 right now. im going ot need a controller with weighted keys and aftertouch soon though. the mp-5 was a steal at less than 1k. i dont know what else will compete

• Members

Only get a Nord if you want to sound like the Killers. Only get a Moog if you want to sound like Rick Wakeman. If you want to sound original, refrain from making music. It's very, very, very clichaed to translate the music making impulse into making music. At the very least, compose and record many very good songs to digital recording disc and then burn the disc, as a sign of protest against common sense and all of it's racist children, which you're for in every regard. Then engage yourself in a funny montage of trying on a bunch of silly hats to "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones.

• Members

Only get a Nord if you want to sound like the Killers. Only get a Moog if you want to sound like Rick Wakeman. If you want to sound original, refrain from making music. It's very, very, very clichaed to translate the music making impulse into making music. At the very least, compose and record many very good songs to digital recording disc and then burn the disc, as a sign of protest against common sense and all of it's racist children, which you're for in every regard. Then engage yourself in a funny montage of trying on a bunch of silly hats to "Blitzkrieg Bop" by the Ramones.

SOunds like a movie.

Archived