Quick Axetrak clippage........

IHateRap

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Dan or Ralph,

How dramatic of an effect is the high-cut supposed to be? I just recorded two short clips....one with it and one without, they sound identical to me. :confused:

Also, I'm getting very little signal from the xlr out to my soundcard. I haven't been able to get an ideal input level to record without using a pre after the axetrak.

• Members

I'm not Ralph or Dan but...

What kind of soundcard do you have? Are you using the Mic or the Line? Is it padded at all?

With my M-Audio FW 410 I can get only up to about 1/3 of the way on the input gain before it starts clipping. No padding (with padding I need to go up to about 75% on the gain). Input set to Mic level. If I set the input to Line Level then I get very little signal.

Matt

EDIT: As for the high rolloff, I've noticed that it's more dramatic for Marshall type amps. On my Laney it makes a good bit of difference. On my Randall not nearly as much.

• Members

For recording in a mix.....definitely the first one.

You use the second clip and you're buried IMO.

These things are for recording I would assume...not for getting "room type" sounds.

But what do I know....ask Ralphy....he's got ears of gold....I think mine are more like bronze....may tin sometimes;)

• Members

Is there a way to choose between mic and line signals? Maybe you're set to a line signal... although if it works fine with your SM57 then I doubt that's the problem. I also assume you are turning up your amp enough to fire off the red LED indicator on the Axetrak and you're using the supplied converter to go from XLR to balanced TRS?

Hmm... this is a bit of a stumper if the SM57 works just fine. I have an e609 and the Axetrak records at about the same level and sometimes I really have to watch the input for clipping. I've got a meeting to go to for a while, I'll think on this one (instead of falling asleep at the meeting like I usually would ;)).

Matt

• Members

Originally posted by IHateRap

Hey Dan or Ralph,

How dramatic of an effect is the high-cut supposed to be? I just recorded two short clips....one with it and one without, they sound identical to me.
:confused:

Also, I'm getting very little signal from the xlr out to my soundcard. I haven't been able to get an ideal input level to record without using a pre after the axetrak.

Hey Bro!!

When I use the high roll off it is REALLY noticeable. I also don't have to goose my levels for recording much at all. I would check your sound cards levels and if that doesn;t work I think something might be going on with yours. I would call Jeff if you can't get it working.

let me see if I can come up with something

• Members

Originally posted by gainfreak

Hey Bro!!

When I use the high roll off is REALLY noticeable. I also don't have to goose my levels for recording much at all. I would check your sound cards levels and if that doesn;t work I think something might be going on with yours. I would call Jeff if you can't get it working.

let me see if I can come up with something

Whew! Short meeting... the best kind. ;)

Hmm... I really don't think there are any issues with the Axetrak, at least as far as the problems with the recording level goes. It still sounds really good, just has low levels. If the mic or the connector was malfunctioning then I don't think it would sound good at *any* level, but I could be wrong. It might be with the XLR->TRS converter. Is there anyway to plug it directly into a recording device that takes XLR inputs? Also, and I'm assuming you have a Windows system, is your Echo card synched to the Sounds and Audio Devices Control Panel? You might want to check to make sure the Sound Recording Volume (under the Audio tab) is at a decent level. Again, I don't think this is the problem if your SM57 works fine, but it's worth checking out anyway.

Matt

• Members

Originally posted by MCon

Is there a way to choose between mic and line signals? Maybe you're set to a line signal... although if it works fine with your SM57 then I doubt that's the problem. I also assume you are turning up your amp enough to fire off the red LED indicator on the Axetrak and you're using the supplied converter to go from XLR to balanced TRS?

Hmm... this is a bit of a stumper if the SM57 works just fine. I have an e609 and the Axetrak records at about the same level and sometimes I really have to watch the input for clipping. I've got a meeting to go to for a while, I'll think on this one (instead of falling asleep at the meeting like I usually would
;)
).

Matt

Same here Matt and some good suggestions I might add!! This one is stumping me because My levels are through the roof!

• Members

Input level on my soundcard is maxed out. I don't have any problems with either of my preamps....the Vintech or the Audiobuddy....when using the 57,
way
more signal than I need.

And that's what is baffling me. OK, maybe there is a problem with the Axetrak. It's probably worth a call to Jeff.

Are you using the same XLR->TRS converter and cable for both the Axetrak and SM57?

• Members

Input level on my soundcard is maxed out. I don't have any problems with either of my preamps....the Vintech or the Audiobuddy....when using the 57,
way
more signal than I need.

Something is up then. If you are gunning the axetrak in order to get the red light lit up and you aren't getting a strong signal, something is going on. I would check the fuse and the XLR chord. If they are both ok I would call Jeff.

• Members

Something is up then. If you are gunning the axetrak in order to get the red light lit up and you aren't getting a strong signal, something is going on. I would check the fuse and the XLR chord. If they are both ok I would call Jeff.

Well, the fuse isn't likely going to be the problem. If it's blown it cuts the input signal to the Axetrak and you won't get *any* sound.

Cables and converters might be a good place to check.

Matt

EDIT: That brings up an interesting thought. If the fuse is inline with the speaker, does that mean when it blows that the amp is running without a load at that time?

• Members

Whew! Short meeting... the best kind.
;)

Hmm... I really don't think there are any issues with the Axetrak, at least as far as the problems with the recording level goes. It still sounds really good, just has low levels. If the mic or the connector was malfunctioning then I don't think it would sound good at *any* level, but I could be wrong. It might be with the XLR->TRS converter. Is there anyway to plug it directly into a recording device that takes XLR inputs? Also, and I'm assuming you have a Windows system, is your Echo card synched to the Sounds and Audio Devices Control Panel? You might want to check to make sure the Sound Recording Volume (under the Audio tab) is at a decent level. Again, I don't think this is the problem if your SM57 works fine, but it's worth checking out anyway.

Matt

I have two xlr>trs converters, same levels with either of them. All the recording options in the control panel are greyed out, everything in the Mia control panel is maxed. Like you said though, I don't have any issues when using the 57. I'm kind of leaning towards an axetrak problem. With the last two clips can you hear the difference between hi cut and fullrange? With it being less noticable on some amps, I guess I should wait for Danhops to chime in because he also has an Uber. I'd like to hear an a/b with his.

• Members

Well, the fuse isn't likely going to be the problem. If it's blown it cuts the input signal to the Axetrak and you won't get *any* sound.

Cables and converters might be a good place to check.

Matt

EDIT: That brings up an interesting thought. If the fuse is inline with the speaker, does that mean when it blows that the amp is running without a load at that time?

Yeah I agree about the fuse ! I'm really reaching here lol :D

• Members

Yeah I agree about the fuse ! I'm really reaching here lol
:D

Me too and I think I've reached my 'reaching' limit without actually having the box in front of me. :cry:

• Members

I have two xlr>trs converters, same levels with either of them. All the recording options in the control panel are greyed out, everything in the Mia control panel is maxed. Like you said though, I don't have any issues when using the 57. I'm kind of leaning towards an axetrak problem. With the last two clips can you hear the difference between hi cut and fullrange? With it being less noticable on some amps, I guess I should wait for Danhops to chime in because he also has an Uber. I'd like to hear an a/b with his.

If you are using the same XLR cable for your 57 as the one you are using for the Axetrak, and the 57 is getting a strong signal, I would be willing to bet that there is something wrong.

I get a very hot signal comming from my AT when I get the red light lit up, so if you are sure your cable is good, there is something definitely wrong.

• Members

No, the light operates as expected, coming out of the axetrak is the issue. Signal path: head-axetrak-preamp-soundcard. If I don't stick a pre after it, I get very weak signals.

• Members

No, the light operates as expected, coming out of the axetrak is the issue. Signal path: head-axetrak-preamp-soundcard. If I don't stick a pre after it, I get very weak signals.

Yeah, definitely call Jeff. I don't even use a separate pre... just what is built into the FW 410 and the signal is hot as hell.

• Members

If you are using the same XLR cable for your 57 as the one you are using for the Axetrak, and the 57 is getting a strong signal, I would be willing to bet that there is something wrong.

I get a very hot signal comming from my AT when I get the red light lit up, so if you are sure your cable is good, there is something definitely wrong.

Yep, everything's the same. I'm going to e-mail Jeff. :(

Poopy! :D

• Members

Yep, everything's the same. I'm going to e-mail Jeff.
:(

Poopy!

Ah crap, I feel bad for ya now :cry: !! Well I'm sure Jeff will hook you up. I met him at NAMM, spoke to him on the phone and keep in touch with him via E-mail. You are in great hands. He is one of the nicest guys on the planet. Great guy for sure!

BTW.... You guys are probably gonna smack me in the head but I am digging the clips that you just posted and the thing might be broken :D

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

How did you have the Uberschall EQ'd/setup? I don't like the way that sounds at all!

Edit: Oh, just browsed the thread real quick and it's broken... that makes sense.

I think it might me a little ill. :D

Here are the same eq settings with a 57 pointed straight at the speaker (75 watt) 1/2 way between the dustcap and surround.

http://www.switchrocks.com/Songs/Uber.mp3

• Members

I think it might me a little ill.

Here are the same eq settings with a 57 pointed straight at the speaker (75 watt) 1/2 way between the dustcap and surround.

http://www.switchrocks.com/Songs/Uber.mp3

I think that sounds WAY better. Are all things equal, meaning was the input volume the same? The miced clips volume was very low.

I'd like the miced clip even more with a V30, or both the V30 and T75.

Archived