who is happy with thier sound, and whos still hunting?

fishfartz

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like my sound, particularly my clean (alot of that comes from the G&L being spectacular, not my Mesa or Peavey having a divine clean channel). My distortion is okay. The Mesa isn't really for me given its intended use and the fact that I don't play metal anymore. I spend much more time in clean and crunch territory, although I like some modern saturation for leads.

As a college student I don't have the time or money to keep wheeling and dealing with amps. But right now I can picture myself at my happiest with some sort of Fenderish tube combo, a tube screamer, and some other good distortion/OD.

• Members

My ears are still ringing from the gig last night..

I couldn't be happier with my sound. For what I'm doing right now, right at this moment its the perfect rig.

Davel Mansel/Splawn Guitar with Rio Grande BBQ/Texas
Splawn Quick Rod
Splawn 4-12 w/Eminence Patriot/Man-o-wars

• Members

always hunting.

what please me one moment pisses me off the next. i try to remember the pleasure lies in the journey, but i'd like to know with certainty there is a destination. it's just gonna cost me a {censored}load more money to get there.
cheers

ed

• Members

I always had TWO really unachievable lofty and very DIFFERENT music goals (or dreams) as a kid.

1) To play guitar for a successful money making gain-to-the-max melodic progressive rock band. (to be a rock star in other words).

2) To write a hit contemporary adult pop tune. Something an artist like Michael Bolton would sing. (to write hit songs for the mega stars in other words).

My lack of satisfaction in my rig and tone relates to my innablity to decide which dream I truly want to pursue on the side....as a hobby composer/musician.

Dream #1 is looking dimmer and dimmer (for reasons of ambition and motivation).
Dream #2 is one that I can hold on to for an entire lifetime. (its never too late to write a hit song).

I need a different recording rig for dream #2 than the one i built for metal (dream #1).

A songwriter doesn't really even need good tone since its the band he wrote for that interprets and records the song and worries about tiny details like "tone" not the songwriter.

I'm still finding myself. Until I find that guy... I will never find the tone I'm searching for.

• Members

Yes, I'm totally happy when I'm playing. I don't tweak around very much. I play an '89 Blackie Eric Clapton strat which has been my Number One since about '93. It's like a comfortable old friend. I can plug it into most anything and it always sounds like Blackie. Fantastic. My favotire amp has been a Fender Vibrolux Custom Reverb but i used to use a mid 70's Super Reverb. This guitar just sings. He loves to play and it always comes shining thru no matter what amp I plug into.
I've always believed that, if you want great tone, it has to start with your hands and then your guitar. The more you place in between your guitar and your amp the more you are changing the organic signal of what you are playing. Keep it simple with maybe one effect and people listening to you will recognize your sound like the vocalist in the band your guitar is recognizable and natural.

• Members

I couldn't be happier right now.

I don't spend as much time on this forum as I used to. I'm now working on my playing technique, which is also improving my tone right now.

My main rig is a loaded blue stripe mark III head w/ a stock 1960A cab, a Dean EVO with a Bill Lawrence L-500XL.

I'm not going back to Marshalls now. :)

• Members

I'm still very happy with my SLO's and old Marshalls.
These amps are keepers for many years to come.
But due to some gas form time to time, it's fun to try something new.

:)

• Members

I've found it's almost impossible to judge the sound of my amp (s) when either at apartment volumes or at a rehearsal space by myself cranked up because it doesn't tell me how it fits in with the band. I'll be perfectly satisfied at the space alone. Then at band practice I'm like "WTF???" and frantically turning knobs in between songs. Also, I'll be playing thinking, "This sounds like crap." Then I listen back to the rehearsal recording and it sounds good. So I guess the answer is, don't worry so much.

• Members

I'm happier than I've ever been with my setup (in the sig). It kills for what I want and I get nothing but compliments on the tone from other musicians and soundmen. I've had it for 15 months and still absolutely LOVE it. That being said, Shredders sound clips of the Splawn Quick Rod did make me do a double take! I wouldn't mind adding one to the stable, but wouldn't sell the JSX.

• Members

I love the Diezel Herbert, but I can't afford one right now. I just played one on Saturday and it is one badass MoFo. I find myself interested in trying out an Ubershall lately. I have some stuff that I can let go if I decide to get one.

Archived