If Dual Rectos are so loose.....

BAZGUITARMAN

• Members

Then why is Eric Peterson using them with Testament?

I know it`s not the same amp, but my Single Recto is pretty darn tight. From the little experience I have with Duals, they aren`t that gosh darned loose. Does everyone just have their bass too high and their mids too low?

I don`t get it. :confused:

Eric

• Members

People just love to hate, last time I talked to Eric though he said they used Triple Rectifiers and Mark IV's. I've said it before and I'll say it again I've found a lot of shows I've been to and I think a band sounds amazing, tight, cutting, and just great tone when I'd look or ask it ends up being a Racktifier or 2 channel Dual. :)

• Members

My DR is pretty tight too, but I am running it through a Bogner bottom cab which is super tight. The bass & mids really control how tight the amp is. I dime my mids and run my bass at about 9:30. My guess is that most of the guys that use them tend to use the standard oversized cabs which are boomy and this contributes alot to the flubbyness of newer Rectos.

• Members

Originally posted by Cibyl

Seems to me that this is a question for Eric. Yeah, he probably knowns why.

HAHAHAHA.....At first I was looking at your post and thinking "Who in the hell is Eric"?

Then I remembered I just posted about Eric Peterson.

God, I`m such a dork. :freak:

Eric

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Bungle

With the Diode rectifiers and Bold mode engaged Rectos are so tight your chest will hurt after a while. Seriously.

Use a boost and take it easy with the presence and bass, you'll do fine.

+1000. I forgot to mention that using a clean boost really tightens her up too.

• Members

Originally posted by BAZGUITARMAN

Does everyone just have their bass too high and their mids too low?

In all liklihood, yes. As xMadiMx said, people love to hate. They hear of nu metal bands using them for a big mushy sound, and probably have no idea how to dial in an amp, so they go off on them for stupid things like that.

• Members

If depends your definition of Tight. If you want to play Testaments music you'll have to boost a Recto. I had a Old 2 channel and there was no way in hell that it could be tight enough for old school metal stuff just by tweaking the EQ. I tried everything, pickups, settings, Diode vs Tube rectifier, settings.

The only things that worked was a Boost (which I didin't like how it changed the tone, and a VHT cab. With that cab and an EMG 81 you could get away without a Boost.

• Members

I had a DR 2 channel and it was not tight enough for normal thrash metal without using

a) el34's

b) 12AT7 in PI

c) boost/OD pedal

Even after all that tweaking my Voodoo Hex is just way way faster at tracking. So yeah they are pretty sloppy/loose toned.

• Members

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

In all liklihood, yes. As xMadiMx said, people love to hate. They hear of nu metal bands using them for a big mushy sound, and probably have no idea how to dial in an amp, so they go off on them for stupid things like that.

How about PRMike is being his usualy douchbag self and dosen't know jack {censored} about DR's. Im guess he has never owned or played one for more then a minute or 2. I honestly don't think he even plays guitar.

When I tried my stock DR into the stock (recommended ) Mesa ovesized Recto cab, on bold, 6L6 tubes. I cranked the volume to 5 and was greated with something like 40 bulldozers having sex. Yeah its a wall of noise but you cannot play it at all. It is completely mushy and horrid.

You can dial the gain down and that helps a {censored}-ton but then you have something other than a high gain tone.

• Members

Originally posted by redrol

How about PRMike is being his usualy douchbag self and dosen't know jack {censored} about DR's. Im guess he has never owned or played one for more then a minute or 2. I honestly don't think he even plays guitar.

When I tried my stock DR into the stock (recommended ) Mesa ovesized Recto cab, on bold, 6L6 tubes. I cranked the volume to 5 and was greated with something like 40 bulldozers having sex. Yeah its a wall of noise but you cannot play it at all. It is completely mushy and horrid.

You can dial the gain down and that helps a {censored}-ton but then you have something other than a high gain tone.

Is the Single Recto just that much tighter, `cause I`m playing mine through an "over-sized" 4x12 and it`s pretty darn tight. It`s at least as tight as the 5150 II that I had. And it was darn tight and percussive.

hmmmm....

Eric

• Members

Is the Single Recto just that much tighter, `cause I`m playing mine through an "over-sized" 4x12 and it`s pretty darn tight. It`s at least as tight as the 5150 II that I had. And it was darn tight and percussive.

hmmmm....

Eric

I don't know what to tell you. There are a lot of variables.

The thing to keep in mind is overdriving the power section in Recto basically turns it to mush. They are really pre-amp gain type amps.

I would imagine a 150w TR with a boost would be really tight but why the {censored} even get a tube amp. You are basically just using preamp gain.

I far prefer a mix of preamp and powerramp overdrive (just a tad of poweramp). Marshalls sound awesome cranked like such.

Just pay attention to your ears.

• Members

Maybe not, but what the hell does that have to do with anything he said?

He said he often hears bands that he thinks sound good live, and they turn out to be using a Racktifier or 2 channel Dual Recto.

Well, I had no idea that liking how something sounds could make you a douchebag!

The Dillinger Escape Plan and Between The Buried And Me use Rectos, as far as I know. They sure as hell don't sound like loose walls of mud.

• Members

He said he often hears bands that he thinks sound good live, and they turn out to be using a Racktifier or 2 channel Dual Recto.

Well, I had no idea that liking how something sounds could make you a douchebag!

The Dillinger Escape Plan and Between The Buried And Me use Rectos, as far as I know. They sure as hell don't sound like loose walls of mud.

There is a huge difference between playing one and listening to one. Get my meaning? Im just letting you know what my experiences with a DR were for 5 years. I sold the {censored}er because it didnt track fast enough.

• Members

Originally posted by blues_rocker

im a marshall/orange guy at heart...but i like dual rectos...i think theyre the best on the other side of the spectrum. i dont like recto bashing

Here is the thing with Rectos, they sound fantastic.. but do not track as fast as other amps. This really actually REALLY {censored}s with some peoples playing.

Ignoring the tracking issue, they sound fantastic and are tweaker amps. I tweaked mine constantly for 5 years but grew tired of it.

The sag on a recto is incredible at the sweet spot on the volume. It just CHUGS like the devil but then you get this long note bloom that dosent work with fast riffing.

• Members

HAHAHAHA.....At first I was looking at your post and thinking "Who in the hell is Eric"?

Then I remembered I just posted about Eric Peterson.

God, I`m such a dork.
:freak:

Eric

:D

• Members

One thing I found at least with my Single Recto is that radically dropped tunings sound like mush. All my guitars are tuned to Eb and I think this adds a lot to my tone. Just loose enough to feel good and sound thicker, but not loose enough to cause problems.

Maybe this is why I`ve found the Rectos to be tighter than I was lead to believe.

Eric

• Members

It's a good example of how I said people like to hate. Most people know I've always loved and played Mesa I've got so many people to switch from marshall I can't even keep track anymore, one of them is the head guy for selling mesa at the store now. When GC 1st started carrying them the store manager woul dmake me demo the amp to customers if I was in the store cause nobody there knew jack about the amps. I got him 3 fullstack sales in a matter of 2 weeks. You can hate or be jealous all you want but just cause you can't get a good sound out of one of these amps doesn't mean nobody else can. There's a Reason Mesa is one of the biggest known names in the industry and why they're on countless records.

The sag on a recto is incredible at the sweet spot on the volume. It just CHUGS like the devil but then you get this long note bloom that dosent work with fast riffing.

Tell that to John Petrucci.

• Members

Not true! I've heard him play and he plays well:thu:

• Members

Here is the thing with Rectos, they sound fantastic.. but do not track as fast as other amps. This really actually REALLY {censored}s with some peoples playing.

Ignoring the tracking issue, they sound fantastic and are tweaker amps. I tweaked mine constantly for 5 years but grew tired of it.

With EMG's and a Boost they track great. Check out Pat Obrien from Cannibal Corpse playing his triple with a Metal Zone as a boost in this video. If that aint tracking fast than I dopn't know what is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dtfqy8jrg8&search=Cannibal%20Corpse

Derek

:cool:

Archived