Let's get our own HC Battle of the Bands going..

HitTheLights23

• Members

so i'm not sure if this has been done here before but i came up with the idea of holding our own online battle of the bands, just for some fun and some exposure for all us forumites' bands.

i think we should do a few different categories. perhaps solo artists (for all those jam track wankers :D just kidding guys), then screaming and non-screaming bands possibly..seeming though its so hard for non death metal (cookie monster) guys to appreciate anything related to screams or grunts.

each band would post a song or two (or link to their myspace or whatever) and then a poll will be active for a week or so and the winner picked from that. we could have different categories of judging aswell; songwriting, musicianship, originality etc

anyways this is still in very early stages and im just looking for interest and ideas into enhancing how we could do this thing.

thanks,

-josh

• Members

No.

When will people stop trying to make artists compete with each other.

I wonder if anybody ever pitted Dali against Picasso for a paint off?

Or Eugene O'Neill and Arthur Miller to a playwrighting off?

Or Hemmingway and Faulkner for a Novel writing off?

AAAAAAAAAAAAccckk!

• Members

Originally posted by thriftyshirt

No.

When will people stop trying to make artists compete with each other.

I wonder if anybody ever pitted Dali against Picasso for a paint off?

Or Eugene O'Neill and Arthur Miller to a playwrighting off?

Or Hemmingway and Faulkner for a Novel writing off?

AAAAAAAAAAAAccckk!

i wasnt trying to use it that. like i said in my original post it would be a cool way for the guys here to get a little exposure for their bands among us and whoever may be hanging around here.

• Members

my band is going to be playing a battle of the bands May 6th here in my town...

but i dont know about an internet battle...because live were much better than our recorded stuff. maybe when we get some new stuff recorded and mixed the way we like it...which will be a bit heavier than the demo we did LOL

• Members
Originally posted by Ben J

That's what the music business is based upon.
:confused:

In a roundabout way, yes, but only because that's what the capitalist free market system is based on.

In a way bands are competing for a limited number of "entertainment dollars" that the consumers are willing to spend.

However, unlike a "battle of the bands" there is no one winner in the music business, there is room for success on many levels and in many different genres. You can compare number of albums sold, amount of money made on tour, number of myspace friends or whatever, but there is no objective way to qualify, score, or rate artistic merit, creativity, talent, or overall musical quality.

So other than an economic competition for available dollars, there shouldn't be or doesn't necessarly have to be direct competition between any two bands.

• Members

Originally posted by soc_monki

my band is going to be playing a battle of the bands May 6th here in my town...

but i dont know about an internet battle...because live were much better than our recorded stuff. maybe when we get some new stuff recorded and mixed the way we like it...which will be a bit heavier than the demo we did LOL

I'm sorry.

I've played dozens of those BoB events, and attended dozens more, and have yet to see one that wasn't fixed or biased in some way.

Usually the only real "winner" is the promoter/club owner who gets to pack a venue with paying patrons and not pay any band for bringing their fans.

Archived