YJM vs. OCD (clip)

ratter

• Members

This YJM pedal is pretty cool. It seems to excel at that bright yet stringy vintagey kind of high-gain tone. It also does a cool lower-gain boost from what I can tell, but I only got about 10 minutes to try it so far. Anyway, for gits and shiggles, here's a clip.

It goes Marshall with no pedals, then YJM on, Marshall with no pedals, and then OCD on.

The YJM is obviously very noisy, but it beats the OCD at the bright crispy thing.

Settings were YJM, gain full, level half. OCD settings, level half, tone full, gain full, HP mode.

Clip.

• Members

Originally posted by ratter

This YJM pedal is pretty cool. It seems to excel at that bright yet stringy vintagey kind of high-gain tone. It also does a cool lower-gain boost from what I can tell, but I only got about 10 minutes to try it so far. Anyway, for gits and shiggles, here's a clip.

It goes Marshall with no pedals, then YJM on, Marshall with no pedals, and then OCD on.

The YJM is obviously very noisy, but it beats the OCD at the bright crispy thing.

Settings were YJM, gain full, level half. OCD settings, level half, tone full, gain full, HP mode.

The YJM obviously sounds better here, but the clip is misleading because you've set the knobs the same on both pedals, but the OCD obviously has more gain and/or output level on tap than the YJM so there's seriously way too much compression going on in the OCD clip. I think if you backed off on the OCD Gain and/or Level or dialed back the distortion on the Marshall, you could get much better tones out of it. But, even still, this clip shows that the OCD is a lot fatter than the YJM.

In any case, the only way to do a true apples-to-apples comparison is by making sure both pedals are putting out the same output level and same gain. The way to do that (roughly, by ear) is to run both pedals into a dead clean amp that is far away from input or output clipping and then adjusting the pedals so that they are at the same loudness and distortion content. (The knobs on the two pedals will probably end up at completely different positions!) THEN run them into the clipping Marshall. I bet the story completely is different if you try that. I'd also like to hear a comparsion if the Marshall is dialed in for clean-on-the-edge-of-distortion and then hit with an output level from both pedals that is greater than unity. I'd also bet the story is different in that case.

• Members
Originally posted by maz_master

The YJM obviously sounds better here, but the clip is misleading because you've set the knobs the same on both pedals, but the OCD obviously has more gain and/or output level on tap than the YJM so there's seriously way too much compression going on in the OCD clip. I think if you backed off on the OCD Gain and/or Level or dialed back the distortion on the Marshall, you could get much better tones out of it. But, even still, this clip shows that the OCD is a lot fatter than the YJM.

In any case, the only way to do a true apples-to-apples comparison is by making sure both pedals are putting out the same output level and same gain. The way to do that (roughly, by ear) is to run both pedals into a
dead clean amp
that is far away from input or output clipping and then adjusting the pedals so that they are at the same loudness and distortion content. (The knobs on the two pedals will probably end up at completely different positions!)
THEN
run them into the clipping Marshall. I bet the story completely is different if you try that. I'd also like to hear a comparsion if the Marshall is dialed in for clean-on-the-edge-of-distortion and then hit with an output level from both pedals that is greater than unity. I'd also bet the story is different in that case.

Too much work. ;)

• Members

Clip.

wow, enough {censored}in preamp distortion there? :mad:

Seriously, I don't know how you can tell anything from that clip.

• Members

I would like to hear that again but turn the gain almost all the way off and turn up the level to two oclock.
The ocd should kill the yjm. In other words use both pedals as a clean boost and get your amp to distort on its own.
Chris

• Members

What marshall are you using bro?

• Members
Originally posted by gringo699c

I would like to hear that again but turn the gain almost all the way off and turn up the level to two oclock.

The ocd should kill the yjm. In other words use both pedals as a clean boost and get your amp to distort on its own.

Chris

I agree, the OCD would shine in that scenario. Unfortunately my daughter is now asleep and my 10 minutes of playing for today have expired. :D

• Members
Originally posted by PhilBelanger

Ok, based on that clip, I liked the YJM better than the OCD. On the other hand, I really liked the tone without any pedals at all. I know I'm not helping... I'm going away now
:D

This clip went over like a fart in church, didn't it? :D

FWIW, I don't like either pedal tone in this clip at all for me. But I was pleasantly surprised at the $30 YJM. I'll do some clean boost type clips next week and I think it'll show it off. And maybe I'll get one of those speedometer pedals like zygoat and see if that helps too. :D

• Members

Personally I don't know why anyone would use an OD pedal for any metal/rock style rhythms, it just sounds muddy as hell..

That being said the YJM sounds way better and retains the clarity of the amp better than the OCD. A better comparison would be an all lead clip though I think.

I just bought one of the music123 $29.99 blowout sale, so I'm glad I liked it.

• Members
Originally posted by DirrtyCraig

Personally I don't know why anyone would use an OD pedal for any metal/rock style rhythms, it just sounds muddy as hell...

You mean like YJM does??? :confused: :confused:

Hell, doesn't he use TWO???

Archived