Something I don't understand about god

Riverdragon

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Riverdragon

lol, I see they been successful at instilling fear into you. Who's to say that hell is all that bad?

Here's a scenario for you to ponder:

Imagine being imprisoned in a room too small to lie down in, and too short for you to stand up, in total darkness and absent any sound, without any door, without hope of rescue, without compassion of others, endlessly waiting through nothingness, suffering exhaustion, famine, excruciating pain, being terrified and suicidal, but with no possible relief for eternity.

No, that's not as bad as Hell, because language limits the reality of conveying such a terrible place.

• Members
Originally posted by hal9000

Imagine being imprisoned in a room too small to lie down in, and too short for you to stand up, in total darkness and absent any sound, without any door, without hope of rescue, without compassion of others, endlessly waiting through nothingness, suffering exhaustion, famine, excruciating pain, being terrified and suicidal, but with no possible relief for eternity.

No, that's not as bad as Hell, because language limits the reality of conveying such a terrible place.

Well hell wouldnt be full of Christians, so it couldnt be that bad.

:D

• Members

Originally posted by terry5357

and not that I go to church as often as I should..........I'm going to go with there is a god, because if there is, and everything plays out like the bible says it will, I want to be in heaven playing my es335 through my mesa maverick, and not on earth playing a stella through a ss peavy backstage

We hear this a lot. The old "I'm playing it safe" routine. Hedge your bets.

If anyone really truly uses that excuse for their religious ways, I hope God stays up with his old tricks and sends them straight to hell.

Come on! What a lame excuse that is to believe in God. You think you're fooling him? I'd say he looks more for sincereity than anything else.

• Members

How come we.... ?

Because of the....

nuh-uhh

Then how come you don't...?

Because I was...

nuh-uhhh

Why are we...?

I don't know

I know you don't...

I would think hell would definitely have these type discussions going on like here

• Members

That would not be horrible.

They are not so-called. It means that you literally believe mythology.

Take your medicine,

and please open the pod bay doors, Hal :D

Oh come on Chuck, I'm sure you could think of a suitably horrible place. For instance, how about a place where all your so-called "Literalists" are correct?

• Members

It's not that I don't believe in god. I just don't believe in the bible. I refuse to participate in organized religion in this country. I think the people of the far east have it right. They are geared more towards spirituality and living in harmony with the earth.

• Members

I am actually in the works of starting to write a book on my conversion from staunch Christian in seminary, to atheist. I can say that from being on both sides of the fence, I know why many people believe in God/Jesus, as I did myself, or so thought I did. Knowing the history behind where the Bible came from (yes, there is historical evidence that it is man made, and the first books derived from poets taking influence from the babylonian and egyptian creation myths) makes an almost too easy argument on the side of atheism/agnosticism. However, both sides being so set in their beliefs discredits everything the other side has to say because what they believe is absolute "truth," and everything else is lies. There is much ignorance on both sides. So pretty much, debates over this can be interesting, but nobody is ever going to be convinced one way or the other from them. That comes from your own accord.

and for me, my definition of faith is "believing in god and the bible because it's something you want to be real."

• Members

i guess my question for you is this:

are people who do not accept Christ as the saviour truly worthy of that kind of suffering?

even if they haven't necessarily done anything relatively sinful?

• Members
Originally posted by pennypusher

i guess my question for you is this:

are people who do not accept Christ as the saviour truly worthy of that kind of suffering?

even if they haven't necessarily done anything relatively sinful?

Send me an email (sig) and I'll answer you to the best of my ability.

• Members

If anyone is genuinely interested in what I have to say about all this, I'm always willing to discuss it. I however don't feel this is necessarily the place for it.

And I have more than just scientific and historic reasoning for my conversion to atheism, but being a once student of the Bible, have a vast knowledge of it, and can not only discredit much of the old testament as myth, but also can point out many many inconsistencies in the gospel stories (gospel of John vs Luke, Mark, Mathew). Anyways, I've already said enough.

• Members
Originally posted by Riverdragon

It's not that I don't believe in god. I just don't believe in the bible. I refuse to participate in organized religion in this country. I think the people of the far east have it right. They are geared more towards spirituality and living in harmony with the earth.

werd.

several hundred years before Christ was even born, Confucius in China was recorded as saying "Do unto others what you would have them do to you." :thu: jesus didn't originate most teachings that are associated with christianity; christian philosophy almost categorically reflects that of eastern and pagan cultures actually.

even our so-called "christian holidays" like christmas are simply christianized adaptations of pagan rituals and ceremonies. its almost resoundingly accepted that jesus probably was not born on Dec. 25th.

I guess the thing that annoys me about modern conservative Christians is their conscious choice to remain ignorant about the roots of their own religion.

lol i was reading the other day about how many of the earliest christians were Nazarites, meaning they were pledged in jewish tradition to never cut or groom their hair in their lives. so they were typified by their long flowing dreadlocks and their tendency to smoke marijuana lol. thats where the rastafarians derived it from
:thu:

• Members

People often ask me when they should teach the Good News to their housecats. I have but one answer: "What are you waiting for?"

A pet is a beloved part of your family, and as a Christian, you should do everything you can to guarantee that this valued member of your family receives the glorious eternal reward for which Christ gave His very life. Think of the alternative: your cat mired in darkness for eternity because you put off a 10-minute conversation.

My own cats accepted Jesus into their hearts before they even opened their eyes. The light of salvation has brightened their lives, but perhaps the most noticeable change has been in me. I am filled with warmth knowing their eternal souls have been saved.

Kittens' hearts, at birth, are filled with what theologians call "original mischief." Mischief, if left to grow on its own, can sprout into evil. That's why you must fill their hearts with Jesus instead. If you wait, your cats might find seductive role models among the back-alley strays and rough felines from the wrong side of town. You could also end up with an unwanted pregnancy.

That's why it's so very, very important to tell your cats about the life, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus as early as possible. The Nicene Creed is a good place to start: Recite it to them when they are about 10 weeks old.

Remember: If you give a cat a fish, it eats for a day. If you teach a cat to fish, it eats for a lifetime. Perhaps that's not such a good proverb to use in this case, since fishing is actually instinctual in cats. But Jesus is not. Your kitties need to know early on that there is a fisher of men and cats alike who can save their souls.

A lot of people say, "Oh, but Whiskers doesn't even answer to his name yet." They raise a good point: Sometimes you have to teach your cat at its own level. If you give your cat a rubber Jesus to play with, it will sense that there's more to this toy. If you give it a scratching cross, it will contemplate Christ's love and ultimate sacrifice while it stretches and sharpens its claws. I myself have put an image of Jesus at the bottom of my cats' food bowls. That way, when they finish their food, the face of He who provided it is revealed unto them.

Teaching your cats the Gospel of Christ isn't just important for their eternal souls, it is also the only way to ensure that they know an eternity of damnation awaits them if they scratch your favorite chair. Before they cough up a hairball on the rug or leave a dead mouse on the doorstep, they'll know

Archived